Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

My area is creating pop up drive in after pop up drive in now this summer (3 news ones this week already) - no idea how they report box office, or if they report box office, but they have decided that they will be very affordable and very active...tickets aren't on sale til July 8 (with movies that 1st weekend), so I don't know what they mean by "affordable" and "active" yet...

 

If one of them were to get any new content...or a director's cut that is so far unseen, I think I'd be there if they are really "affordable"...

 

Big chains have big parking lots...at some point, they are gonna need to get on board this trend or figure something out...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A drive-in popped up by me as well. There was already a large drive-in that's been in operation for decades, so now we've got two to choose from. The location of the new one is an outdoor mall and medieval themed pub & banquet hall that had been shut down for months. They have one screen and are showing a variety of entertainment, including concerts and comedy routines. They do play movies as well, but all of them are older. I have to believe they are reporting box office take because they are associated with a local theater chain.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now 100'000 new cases a day seems inevitable; it is out  of control. I firmly beleive we will not see theaters reopening until a vaccine is developed..and that will be early 2021 best case scenario.

  • Disbelief 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Now 100'000 new cases a day seems inevitable; it is out  of control. I firmly beleive we will not see theaters reopening until a vaccine is developed..and that will be early 2021 best case scenario.

But aren't theaters already reopening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

But aren't theaters already reopening?

In the US, the answer is mostly no. Of the few that opened, some have been shut down again. The big chains aren't supposed to open their locations until the end of the month, or at least that's the current plan.

 

The Wretched is playing in 97 locations and that's the widest release at present. So we're talking something like 2-2.5% of theaters are open in the US.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, doublejack said:

In the US, the answer is mostly no. Of the few that opened, some have been shut down again. The big chains aren't supposed to open their locations until the end of the month, or at least that's the current plan.

 

The Wretched is playing in 97 locations and that's the widest release at present. So we're talking something like 2-2.5% of theaters are open in the US.

There are 1100 spots open as of last weekend (out of what Deadline said was 5900 or so)...split about 1/2 drive in and 1/2 not, with drive in driving about 75-90% of DOM revenue on weekends...

 

So, it's roughly 20% open...but with decreased seating capacities and decreased numbers of showings, it is probably only 2-2.5% of normal theater ticket capacity...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

There are 1100 spots open as of last weekend (out of what Deadline said was 5900 or so)...split about 1/2 drive in and 1/2 not, with drive in driving about 75-90% of DOM revenue on weekends...

 

So, it's roughly 20% open...but with decreased seating capacities and decreased numbers of showings, it is probably only 2-2.5% of normal theater ticket capacity...

Question is where the open theaters are. TN

 

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

But aren't theaters already reopening?

Not any more because of the skyrocketing covid numbers.

They will stay closed in the big cities and population centers for quite some time.

CLosed in  California until the end of July, and almost certainly beyond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

There are 1100 spots open as of last weekend (out of what Deadline said was 5900 or so)...split about 1/2 drive in and 1/2 not, with drive in driving about 75-90% of DOM revenue on weekends...

 

So, it's roughly 20% open...but with decreased seating capacities and decreased numbers of showings, it is probably only 2-2.5% of normal theater ticket capacity...

Thank you for the correction. I did not know that many locations were open. I was basing my numbers on BOM, which has The Wretched in the most theaters with just 97.

 

I wonder, are these ~1,000 other locations showing older films? Or not reporting? Or is BOM just wrong?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see, I found this article - https://deadline.com/2020/06/weekend-box-office-zootopia-avengers-jon-stewartirresistible-1202974215/

 

Yeah, 1,100 locations and ~300 of them are drive-ins. Interesting that the Ford Wyoming (near me) is mentioned as being one of the biggest BO theaters in the nation presently. I believe it. That's where my daughter went on Tuesday night. They have a bunch of screens and it has been busy every night, and we've been in a great weather pattern for them. Hardly any rain for quite a while now.

 

Still, I imagine that 1,100 open theater number is going to shrink pretty quickly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the opening across Sydney this weekend I can’t see how theatres can stay open post the end of JobKeeper at the end of September if there isn’t new product. Or there will need to be an industry specific package from the Federal Government. 
 

It was great seeing Ghostbusters on the big screen last night for the first time but there was only I think 18 of us in the 300+ seat VMAX theatre at Event George St. There weren’t many other people seeing all of the other films screening either.  
 

More then likely George St would have had almost sold out sessions of Free Guy last night. But that was not to be. 
 


 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see any way around that issue. The Hollywood studios must need money just as badly as the international exhibitors do. I think films should release internationally and have a simultaneous VOD release in the US. The US theaters that are open will be able to screen them as well, but may not draw good crowds because some people will choose to stay home and order it up that way.

 

I know the large US theater chains will complain about this scenario, insisting that movies be released in theaters only (AMC v. Universal scenario)... but I don't see a whole lot of choice given the rapidly rising COVID numbers. Theaters in the US are going to need either very deep pockets or a bailout to survive.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, doublejack said:

I don't see any way around that issue. The Hollywood studios must need money just as badly as the international exhibitors do. I think films should release internationally and have a simultaneous VOD release in the US. The US theaters that are open will be able to screen them as well, but may not draw good crowds because some people will choose to stay home and order it up that way.

 

I know the large US theater chains will complain about this scenario, insisting that movies be released in theaters only (AMC v. Universal scenario)... but I don't see a whole lot of choice given the rapidly rising COVID numbers. Theaters in the US are going to need either very deep pockets or a bailout to survive.

I was just about to suggest this. Why not do simultaneous VOD/theatrical releases in countries where theatres are open? This way, people can opt for the VOD route, but it gives theatres in countries like Canada/Australia (just referencing my own and @DeeCee's experiences) a chance. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why hasn't Saint Maud been delayed yet?

 

Is it really getting a wide release on July 17th?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Why hasn't Saint Maud been delayed yet?

 

Is it really getting a wide release on July 17th?

if say it's staying on it's date, i'd say it's a limited release now.  otherwise expect it to move very shortly go down the VOD route.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed Unhinged has moved to 30 July on the Event Cinemas website. 
 

2 weeks of nothing but The King of Staten Island. 

  • Astonished 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Just noticed Unhinged has moved to 30 July on the Event Cinemas website. 
 

2 weeks of nothing but The King of Staten Island. 

Um. The current headline shows are David Copperfield and sonic. I'm not seeing anything wide till Staten island. It's a pretty dry month assuming unhinged doesn't come unstuck on its 31st July release date in the US.  If unhinged moves again going to be long dry period for cinemas here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DAJK said:

I was just about to suggest this. Why not do simultaneous VOD/theatrical releases in countries where theatres are open? This way, people can opt for the VOD route, but it gives theatres in countries like Canada/Australia (just referencing my own and @DeeCee's experiences) a chance. 

Because it would still be a lost opportunity for studios. They don't make enough off VOD, especially on a big blockbuster, where theatrical run not only generates revenue, but primes that VOD run after. They'd rather wait this out. And if current cinema chains go bust, they can still wait - someone else will take over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.