DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

Hopefully this is the start of studios realising that there’s a market for Drive In theatres across the UK. I’d head to a drive in tonight if there were one near me, but I’m not going anywhere near an indoor one anytime soon.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Hopefully this is the start of studios realising that there’s a market for Drive In theatres across the UK. I’d head to a drive in tonight if there were one near me, but I’m not going anywhere near an indoor one anytime soon.

Same, seriously. Now of course it's an indie releasing this here (Altitude) and that side of distribution sector is obviously willing to provide a ProRes or Blu-ray of their films for non theatrical venues like this (and have worked with outdoor venues in the past - Curzon did The Souvenir previews at rooftop venues)...I don't believe any of the set ups so far are DCI compatible, most are LED screens anyway, so will the majors be willing to? And seems the UK equivalent of NATO doesn't appear keen, using piracy fears as the official scapegoat. But booked in opening night, will be my first cinema trip since March, excited for the experience though I'm sure the film will be ehhhh

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Same, seriously. Now of course it's an indie releasing this here (Altitude) and that side of distribution sector is obviously willing to provide a ProRes or Blu-ray of their films for non theatrical venues like this (and have worked with outdoor venues in the past - Curzon did The Souvenir previews at rooftop venues)...I don't believe any of the set ups so far are DCI compatible, most are LED screens anyway, so will the majors be willing to? And seems the UK equivalent of NATO doesn't appear keen, using piracy fears as the official scapegoat. But booked in opening night, will be my first cinema trip since March, excited for the experience though I'm sure the film will be ehhhh

At the moment with the current situation being as it is, I think even if they treated drive ins as a “second run” type thing after allowing indoor cinema exclusivity for a couple of months, it’d still be a worthwhile endeavour for people who enjoy the big screen experience but aren’t ready to return to indoor cinemas. They’re going to have to adapt to this somehow, and that might be a decent method to still make money from the people like me who are reluctant to return (especially after the pictures of maskless crowds in in Soho last night).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

At the moment with the current situation being as it is, I think even if they treated drive ins as a “second run” type thing after allowing indoor cinema exclusivity for a couple of months, it’d still be a worthwhile endeavour for people who enjoy the big screen experience but aren’t ready to return to indoor cinemas. They’re going to have to adapt to this somehow, and that might be a decent method to still make money from the people like me who are reluctant to return (especially after the pictures of maskless crowds in in Soho last night).

A couple of months seems fair in normal circumstances (and kind of already happens), but now...

Edited by antovolk

Films in wide release on Thursday include Predator, The Devil Wears Prada, Frozen, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Pulp Fiction. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2020 at 9:30 AM, reddevil19 said:

Because it would still be a lost opportunity for studios. They don't make enough off VOD, especially on a big blockbuster, where theatrical run not only generates revenue, but primes that VOD run after. They'd rather wait this out. And if current cinema chains go bust, they can still wait - someone else will take over. 

I agree that a tent pole is not going to make enough money through VOD to break even. However, there are a bunch of smaller budget films for which the dual cinema & VOD release strategy could work. Universal is proving it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, doublejack said:

I agree that a tent pole is not going to make enough money through VOD to break even. However, there are a bunch of smaller budget films for which the dual cinema & VOD release strategy could work. Universal is proving it.

I think it's worth mentioning that the economics wouldn't work for PVOD alone (which is what Universal's doing) for a tentpole. Now, PVOD as something complementing the theatrical release, day and date...

What major chains (and studios, in normal times) are really scared of with the whole theatrical window thing is cannibalisation of revenue if you let a film out at home same time as cinemas. Which is why Screening Room (according to this interview with Peter Jacksonhttps://deadline.com/2016/05/peter-jackson-screening-room-lord-of-the-rings-the-hobbit-disruptor-director-cannes-interview-1201751882/) at the time tried to position itself different, as something aimed at an audience that otherwise wouldn't see the film at the cinema at all.

Now, surely there's a case here in these post lockdown but pre-vaccine times that the cannibalisation they fear wouldn't happen, at least certainly not to the same extent? The PVOD release would capture the people who feel it's unsafe, and any audiences that cinemas lose from a film to PVOD only works in their favour in terms of making going to the cinema more attractive with social distancing. People are gonna be looking out for screenings with the least amount of people in them.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 1

Saint Maud still not delayed. I guess it's getting released next week...

hahahahah wtf

@ nolan, are you sure it's worth saving them....

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, antovolk said:

hahahahah wtf

And not small ones either (working link)

A group of movie theater companies — including AMC, Cinemark and Regal — have filed a lawsuit against the governor of New Jersey, claiming a First Amendment right to reopen during the pandemic.

The companies, led by the National Association of Theatre Owners, is challenging Gov. Phil Murphy’s order that allows malls, libraries, churches and museums to reopen, but keeps movie theaters and other entertainment venues closed.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Why aren't any of these on BoxOfficeMojo?

Great question. BOM has very little in the way of useful info starting in mid-March. I'm not sure what's up.

4 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Why aren't any of these on BoxOfficeMojo?

2 hours ago, doublejack said:

Great question. BOM has very little in the way of useful info starting in mid-March. I'm not sure what's up.

Because none of these deadline numbers are official studio numbers. BOM only reports studio numbers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Because none of these deadline numbers are official studio numbers. BOM only reports studio numbers.

Interesting. Will the studios at some point release official numbers? 

1 minute ago, doublejack said:

Whenever we get new movies again.

1 hour ago, doublejack said:

Iirc, they stopped reporting before cinemas completely shut down because movie grosses were too low. I think they'll start reporting again once we get back to movies grossing at least a couple mil every weekend.

It's simple. New Jersey allows restaurants to open but not theaters. It's unfair. The government deserves sued.

• Like 1