DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

21 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

But from the studios’ perspective, using library titles costs nothing, versus a shit ton of money lost with new releases. (Compared to some sort of lesser potential loss down the road). Not saying this is the right or best approach, but money talks. 

And ultimately the studios have the power to provide the content but now we're back to the dilemma that Robbie (and international exhibitors) present - do you potentially bring down the rest of the world's theatrical infrastructure just to gain that 30-40% you do from the US? Same goes for ultimately for the whole raison d'etre for the Tenet situation - everyone's pushing back their films but if everyone pushes back, while the governments open economies up earlier end furlough/PPP and other forms of support while closed, will there even be a traditional theatrical infrastructure to go back to by the time they're willing to release Tenet/Bond etc. Or is it karma biting back for just relying so much on US blockbusters...

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-07-11/movie-theaters-hollywood-reopening-new-films

John Fithian, president and chief executive of the National Assn. of Theatre Owners (NATO), said his organization has been encouraging the studios to start releasing their big movies next month, though some U.S. states and localities, including Los Angeles and New York, remain in a state of uncertainty.

The “vast majority” of global markets will be open in time for the current release dates for Hollywood movies, he said. Other countries, he noted, have been more effective than the U.S. in controlling the virus, and for a movie like “Tenet,” two-thirds of the box office is expected to be international. Furthermore, if studios don’t start releasing new movies soon, it could do lasting damage to the industry, he said.

“If the answer is, ‘We’re going to wait until 100% of theaters are open, we’re not going to be there until a year from now when there’s a vaccine,” Fithian said. “This is existential for the movie theater industry. If we go a year without new movies, it’s over.”

“The older movies just didn’t necessarily cut it,” Johnson said. “You can only have so many showings of ‘Jurassic Park’ and ‘Harry Potter.’ At the end of the day, our livelihood is new movies. We’re going to make sure the new releases are set in stone before we get excited.”

• Like 1

I would delay every "big movie" and blockbuster to the next year.

Lower budgeted flicks could be released this year. If studios think they'll lose money ( which they'll, no doubt ), then they should think about losing the least ammount of money. 

I also would advice delaying everything to 2021, but is that even remotely possible? Can cinemas survive until a vaccine ( if it even works ) gets ready? 

I would release New Mutants as a sacrifice. Perhaps 1500 / 1600 cinemas and that's it. Just to see what happens. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-07-11/movie-theaters-hollywood-reopening-new-films

John Fithian, president and chief executive of the National Assn. of Theatre Owners (NATO), said his organization has been encouraging the studios to start releasing their big movies next month, though some U.S. states and localities, including Los Angeles and New York, remain in a state of uncertainty.

The “vast majority” of global markets will be open in time for the current release dates for Hollywood movies, he said. Other countries, he noted, have been more effective than the U.S. in controlling the virus, and for a movie like “Tenet,” two-thirds of the box office is expected to be international. Furthermore, if studios don’t start releasing new movies soon, it could do lasting damage to the industry, he said.

“If the answer is, ‘We’re going to wait until 100% of theaters are open, we’re not going to be there until a year from now when there’s a vaccine,” Fithian said. “This is existential for the movie theater industry. If we go a year without new movies, it’s over.”

“The older movies just didn’t necessarily cut it,” Johnson said. “You can only have so many showings of ‘Jurassic Park’ and ‘Harry Potter.’ At the end of the day, our livelihood is new movies. We’re going to make sure the new releases are set in stone before we get excited.”

Someone needs to explain to Fithian the difference between gross and net. International may represent two-thirds of the gross for a film like Tenet, but it sure doesn't represent two-thirds of the net profit.

I think he does have somewhat of a point, though. Smaller budget films like Unhinged should be released. The international cinemas need some new product, and a film like that will make decent money showing PVOD domestically where theaters can't open (which is just about everywhere now except for drive ins).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I would delay every "big movie" and blockbuster to the next year.

Lower budgeted flicks could be released this year. If studios think they'll lose money ( which they'll, no doubt ), then they should think about losing the least ammount of money. 

I also would advice delaying everything to 2021, but is that even remotely possible? Can cinemas survive until a vaccine ( if it even works ) gets ready? 

I would release New Mutants as a sacrifice. Perhaps 1500 / 1600 cinemas and that's it. Just to see what happens. 

AMC will be bankrupt in the next couple of months. Cinemark claims to have deep pockets and said they'll be fine for a while. I think the majority of larger theater chains are likely to go under if they remain closed through the pandemic, though. That may happen regardless, though. People are unlikely to go to theaters in significant numbers until they feel safe, and the way things are going in the US that is not going to happen any time soon.

6 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Someone needs to explain to Fithian the difference between gross and net. International may represent two-thirds of the gross for a film like Tenet, but it sure doesn't represent two-thirds of the net profit.

I think he does have somewhat of a point, though. Smaller budget films like Unhinged should be released. The international cinemas need some new product, and a film like that will make decent money showing PVOD domestically where theaters can't open (which is just about everywhere now except for drive ins).

Again, problem is that major chains currently aren't prepared to open up for Unhinged or anything of that scale, beyond the two weeks before a major studio blockbuster.

anyway....the dominoes begin to fall

5 minutes ago, doublejack said:

International theaters need blockbusters and potential hits. Not just ANY new product. Obviously i cant say for all Europe but for most countries pretty much no one cares about Unhinged or The Broken Heart Gallery. 

3 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

International theaters need blockbusters and potential hits. Not just ANY new product. Obviously i cant say for all Europe but for most countries pretty much no one cares about Unhinged or The Broken Heart Gallery. 

Well, I don't see that happening. Releasing something like Tenet or some other blockbuster is going to result in a huge financial loss for the studio that owns the film. They aren't crazy, they won't do that.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Well, I don't see that happening. Releasing something like Tenet or some other blockbuster is going to result in a huge financial loss for the studio that owns the film. They aren't crazy, they won't do that.

I cant disagree. But finansial loss will be much harder even if 10% of theaters globally will close for good.. You have eventually to choose a lesser of two evils. Theaters will die without new blockbusters plain and simple. Studios will suffer and lose some money but still nothing comparable. They will even get so needed cashflow. 

Edited by juni78ukr
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

edit: whoops, already posted

Edited by Plain Old Tele

13 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

But finansial loss will be much harder even if 10% of theaters globally will close for good.. You have eventually to choose a lesser of two evils.

I dunno. A lot of markets are oversaturated with screens. A 10% reduction of theaters globally seems like it would lead to much less than a 10% drop in box office, maybe like 1-2%, because people can just go to the remaining 90%. In fact, the 90% would be better off on average with more customers and largely the same costs.   

Now, a 40% reduction is a whole nother  dealio 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, doublejack said:

AMC will be bankrupt in the next couple of months. Cinemark claims to have deep pockets and said they'll be fine for a while. I think the majority of larger theater chains are likely to go under if they remain closed through the pandemic, though. That may happen regardless, though. People are unlikely to go to theaters in significant numbers until they feel safe, and the way things are going in the US that is not going to happen any time soon.

AMC had a restructuring of their debt I believe that gets them to 2021, so they say. Still, they need to be ready to go (along with the studios) immediately in 2021 if that's the case.

Beyond any hope of a vaccine or what not, having theaters open for Thanksgiving or Christmas sounds disastrous to me from a containment perspective even if the curve flattened a bunch between now and then.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

WB should release Tenet in Europe, most of Asia, Australia and New Zealand and then release it in the US and other territories when they are able to do so.

• Like 1

I bet a few of the Oscar films are going to be released on VOD. I hope that's the case, to be honest. The reason why I think this year could make for a fantastic awards season is because there might be a ton of out-of-left-field nominees. I'm saying, Amazon's releasing Sound of Metal in August, and if I were them, I'd be targeting its Oscar campaigns directly at the Sound category. So stuff like that can happen, I think. Some years are a straight road, but this one's gonna be the ribbon in rhythm gymnastics. It's gonna go all over the place, and it'll be beautiful. It's high time we spread the love to smaller stuff that normally wouldn't be a part of the conversation.

• Like 1

California is shut down again, folks.  ALL theaters, bars, etc. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Macleod said:

California is shut down again, folks.  ALL theaters, bars, etc. 

It’s not really a full lockdown, it’s not even what we had in March/April. Most commercial indoor stuff is nixed, though. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I bet a few of the Oscar films are going to be released on VOD. I hope that's the case, to be honest. The reason why I think this year could make for a fantastic awards season is because there might be a ton of out-of-left-field nominees. I'm saying, Amazon's releasing Sound of Metal in August, and if I were them, I'd be targeting its Oscar campaigns directly at the Sound category. So stuff like that can happen, I think. Some years are a straight road, but this one's gonna be the ribbon in rhythm gymnastics. It's gonna go all over the place, and it'll be beautiful. It's high time we spread the love to smaller stuff that normally wouldn't be a part of the conversation.

I've been saying that Netflix taking Trial of Chicago 7 is just the start. The most reluctant audiences to return are the older folks who are bread and butter for awards prestige titles.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It’s not really a full lockdown, it’s not even what we had in March/April. Most commercial indoor stuff is nixed, though. 

True, but all the stuff that matters to what we're talking about here...

• Like 1

Mulan would be the one tentpole that would be easy to release overseas first since it's a remake of a 22 year old movie (and therefore doesn't come with the risk of spoilers that Tenet, Black Widow, A Quiet Place 2, Wonder Woman 2, etc. all do) but they wouldn't do it without one of the two key markets (the US and China) it was specifically made for open.

40 minutes ago, Eric Skywalker said:

Easier and easier every day

This seems pretty relevant over here.