DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Maybe the studios making smaller movies (again) would be a good thing. 

smaller movies ALONE, without blockbusters, might not be worth it for studios to release them in theaters, so they will go to VOD/streaming. 

you need blockbusters to revive the theatrical movie-going experience. 

when was the last time a movie with a non-blockbuster budget made a billion? I can only think of Joker & before that The Lion King (animated) came close , and those 2 are very rare occasions/

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

smaller movies ALONE, without blockbusters, might not be worth it for studios to release them in theaters, so they will go to VOD/streaming. 

you need blockbusters to revive the theatrical movie-going experience. 

when was the last time a movie with a non-blockbuster budget made a billion? I can only think of Joker & before that The Lion King (animated) came close , and those 2 are very rare occasions/

I don't know about the logistics or revenue theaters would need and whether small movies can justify it, but you don't need to make a billion to turn a profit on a smaller movie.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Eric Skywalker said:

I don't know about the logistics or revenue theaters would need and whether small movies can justify it, but you don't need to make a billion to turn a profit on a smaller movie.

This, 

Take shazam for example, it made 80m profit and didn’t even make 400m worldwide.

A lot of us are blinded by the billion dollar blockbuster movies but smaller budget movies have been making money forever. Studios and film makers just need to keep being creative and we’ll be fine. 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Eric Skywalker said:

I agree that you don't need a billion to turn profit, but the marketing budget for wide releases (whether they're blockbusters or not) is still very high. and in the long-run it's more worth it for bigger movies. as in a 100M movie is more likely to break-even (and make more profit) than a 10M-20M movie if they both have similar advertising costs. and the blockbusters also in advance tend to do better at home media than smaller movies after they're done with theatrical run.

Steven Soderberg talked about it once few years ago, at the 26:22 mark.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, cax16 said:

This, 

Take shazam for example, it made 80m profit and didn’t even make 400m worldwide.

A lot of us are blinded by the billion dollar blockbuster movies but smaller budget movies have been making money forever. Studios and film makers just need to keep being creative and we’ll be fine. 

Shazam cost 100M to make... it's pretty much a blockbuster, so was Venom.

when I refer to smaller movies I was talking about things that cost 50M or less.

Just now, RealLyre said:

Shazam cost 100M to make... it's pretty much a blockbuster, so was Venom.

when I refer to smaller movies I was talking about things that cost 50M or less.

Ya, but the point is that a movie that cost 100m to make didn’t need to make a billion or even 500m to be profitable. 

Most of the smaller movies that cost 25-50m don’t need to make those amounts to be profitable and a lot will just sell to or go directly to streaming. 

Also, with all the new streaming services coming out many of those smaller movies would be going streaming anyways even before  we had this awful covid situation. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I assume Tele is referring to non-franchise fare like dramas or comedies, which wouldn't keep the lights on overseas. They clearly depend on our tentpoles.

They got along just fine before the 2000s.

4 minutes ago, Hades said:

Disney would be F##ked....

Good! :lol: 

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

Ya, but the point is that a movie that cost 100m to make didn’t need to make a billion or even 500m to be profitable. 

Most of the smaller movies that cost 25-50m don’t need to make those amounts to be profitable and a lot will just sell to or go directly to streaming. 

Nowdays 100 million is a modest budget.

2 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Sadly, a lot of people where cannot  imagine a film industry where the big blockbusters did not totally dominate.

Back in 1997, "As Good As It Gets" was in the top five  along with Titanic. That coul dnever  happen today.

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I honestly could see low to mid-budget movies gross a lot more with less big-budget franchise films dominating the market. 

I honestly think that the studios have forgotten how to market  a modestly budgeted drama or comedy. To use a baseball analogy, they have become so obssesed with a home run everytime, they have forgotten how to win with singles and doubles.

11 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

You know the global marketplace of today is much different than it was then lol. Even acclaimed non-IP domestic blockbusters with big stars from just last year like Ford v Ferrari and Knives Out still made over half of their money from here.

16 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

But...but...Antman 3 needs its 220 million dollar budget...😐

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

California shutdown again.  Cases rising all across the Country.  Hollywood...it's probably time to get out of denial.   It's not looking good and Vin Diesel and Universal handled this the smartest by just getting out of the way a whole year.   Look, I know PVOD hurts overall revenue potential by not having it on the Big Screen but we are in different times.  I know when I was pushing it a few months ago many felt it was too soon and too controversial but then Trolls and Scoob did it and a few others as well.  Studios either need to push it all back to 2021 or just take the losses and do PVOD for 2020 for the remaining blockbusters.   

"Halloween" tired to ride it out and even they pushed it back. I still say you can do limited theatrical release to give people the option if they want to see it at a Drive In or limited screens.  But sadly our administration here in the US hasn't handled this thing very well at all so we can probably kiss public gatherings goodbye for 2020.  I mean how in the world has wearing Mask become a political statement?   This whole thing is messed up but again constantly pushing blockbusters back is getting pointless.  It's time to start to consider the PVOD model for the rest of this year.    

• Like 1

Models here predicting second wave to hit mid december and go large during january.

October/November seems to be the prime time for making hay, should be over in North America and before it starts again in Europe.

2 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Models here predicting second wave to hit mid december and go large during january.

October/November seems to be the prime time for making hay, should be over in North America and before it starts again in Europe.

I admire your optimism in our current administration.

• Like 2