DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

12 hours ago, DeeCee said:

More detail about the Neighbours return to production. 

I miss Police Rescue, it was my first Australian TV-series, even ordered then the missing seasons in AUS.

To me very fascinating, as we have a complete other Police and separate rescue system here.

That quote (out of IMDb) I always liked

Brian Morley: You're the real hero, aren't you? 

Georgia Rattray: Rescue doesn't work that way. If you want to be a hero, join Special Operationa and shoot somebody

Not the best series ever, but still one of my favorites. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 10:16 AM, CJohn said:

People thinking cinemas are coming back after this are delusional. It is over.

They'll come back. I just don't think it is realistic to expect it this year. While theaters have been losing ground in the entertainment battleground, there is still a segment of the population that enjoys going to the cinema. That won't change because of the pandemic. 

The best analogy I can draw is to sports. A lot of the disincentives to see movies in theaters hold true for live sports as well. The at home experience has greatly improved, food and drink are plentiful and cheap, etc. Still, attending live sports remains popular. People's views of the action are often inferior to watching sports at home, but they go to be a part of the atmosphere. This is the same thing that will get people to pack theaters again, at some point in the future. Seeing a movie on the big screen as a part of a hyped crowed is a unique experience, something you can't replicate at home.

It's going to be a long time before this is reality, though. I think some are overestimating theaters' draw with social distancing in place. Remove the sold out theater with a lively crowd, require masks, limit bathroom and concession stands to prevent crowding... and the at home experience is looking far more appealing. I think hardly anyone is going to be willing to go until we're on the other side of the pandemic.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2020 at 8:41 PM, RealLyre said:

does Piracy really have that much of an effect on theatrically released movies? at least the ones with enough interest/buzz don't seem to be that affected me thinks.

The impact was probably much bigger on rental & dvd sales, and there is not much of a sample size to compare it too, but in generals the years that most ticket were sold in the domestic market were around 2002-2004 just before the piracy became extremely mainstream (in 2006 it became the biggest usage of Internet bandwidth by far, it was 70% of the whole internet).

There is case of people that had very scattered release date in similar market and saw a huge impact with piracy.

The director of The Raid for example, the movie released in france and was playing almost exactly like in the UK before and the day a 1080p bluray rip arrived online (the quality of the pirated version to seem to be quite important) he was able to see an clear dip down at the box office in the markets where it was still playing versus the rest, now the target audience for a movie like The Raid will be particularly good at piracy, but now with the android box sold in regular store that let you do it without knowing anything about anything it could have got more generalized than that.

There is probably a reason why Japan tend to be the only country having there release after the movie have more than enough time to be online, piracy being nearly non-existent there, but without an parallel universe without piracy to compare it will stay speculation.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

The chains have said they won't till June. They likely won't open till California and New York are back because those 2 markets contribute a lot to the box office.

• Like 2

AMC has already said they aren't opening until they have new movies to show and I imagine Cinemark and Regal are in the same boat. WB will wait until Memorial Day weekend to see what everything looks like before making their final Tenet decisions.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Interesting I find in especial the 25% capacity detail

55 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Interesting I find in especial the 25% capacity detail

What you could do that is give new movies a bunch more screens since there is nothing else to show. Like Tenet for example could play on almost every screen when it opens. 

They may be able to open, but barring the one offs that arent chain related they aint opening 🤷‍♂️ Texan here so yeah... nothing to see

• Like 1

25% capacity is ridiculous. There would be no point opening. 

I can’t see theatres opening until they can have 50% capacity as a minimum with a checkerboard seating pattern. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

25% capacity is ridiculous. There would be no point opening. 

I can’t see theatres opening until they can have 50% capacity as a minimum with a checkerboard seating pattern. 

WIth the current offer they would have I can see it make sense (I could see it not even having to be enforced the first week, i.e. it will naturally be that, outside the very popular movie at the most popular show time I do not imagine theater have much more than that often).

Say if Texas theater are open next weekend, what movie would need more than that ?

I can see that you could be right that without those event type that do require that, that the current business model make no sense, but if the sense have some small business rent relieve or salary help measure, it could make some sense.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Barnack said:

WIth the current offer they would have I can see it make sense (I could see it not even having to be enforced the first week, i.e. it will naturally be that, outside the very popular movie at the most popular show time I do not imagine theater have much more than that often).

Say if Texas theater are open next weekend, what movie would need more than that ?

I can see that you could be right that without those event type that do require that, that the current business model make no sense, but if the sense have some small business rent relieve or salary help measure, it could make some sense.

I see all the 2nd runs opening as soon as they are allowed...they would definitely like to show all the Jan-to-Mar product that released before it all hits digital...and they are cheaply run...and usually have lots of empty seats outside of their Tuesday deal days anyway...

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

.they would definitely like to show all the Jan-to-Mar product that released before it all hits digital

Yes I can see theater run of classics + the title still on expensive PPV returning in theater (the pixar one could maybe return, but considering it is already on Disney+ maybe it is too late), but that type of products probably in the current climate would probably have an hard time needing more than 25% of the seat (imagine if your multiplex have 2-3 screen for the most popular of those old title legally available from home during a pandemic)

13 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I see all the 2nd runs opening as soon as they are allowed...they would definitely like to show all the Jan-to-Mar product that released before it all hits digital...and they are cheaply run...and usually have lots of empty seats outside of their Tuesday deal days anyway...

What's left in the January to March period that hasn't hit digital, yet? 

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/universal-vod-trolls-world-tour-theaters-1202227804/

Universal Just Told the World That Theaters Are No Longer the Priority

After the premium VOD success of "Trolls: World Tour," theaters are still important — but studios will use them as they see fit.

Theaters are not coming back as a mainstream thing.

• Not Cool 1

theaters will be more used to release blockbusters instead of "everything that has a wide release" imo.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CJohn said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/universal-vod-trolls-world-tour-theaters-1202227804/

Universal Just Told the World That Theaters Are No Longer the Priority

After the premium VOD success of "Trolls: World Tour," theaters are still important — but studios will use them as they see fit.

Theaters are not coming back as a mainstream thing.

Not so little fires everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I would ask them again in 6-12 months, if it turns out a vaccine won't be available then.

Right now, a TON of folks are banking on that being the timeline to a vaccine...but if the time passes, and we're no closer, I can see people changing their minds...