DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

24 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I would ask them again in 6-12 months, if it turns out a vaccine won't be available then.

Right now, a TON of folks are banking on that being the timeline to a vaccine...but if the time passes, and we're no closer, I can see people changing their minds...

I don't disagree with you, but this timeline basically rules out the remainder of 2020.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DeeCee said:

25% capacity is ridiculous. There would be no point opening. 

I can’t see theatres opening until they can have 50% capacity as a minimum with a checkerboard seating pattern. 

The problem is most theaters won't be able to maintain that six foot social distance guideline with a checkerboard pattern. You're talking about 2-3 feet between patrons, maximum, at 50% capacity. Even theaters with stadium or recliner style seating couldn't sell every other seat and maintain six feet of separation.

We're starting to see other ways of meeting people's desire to see movies. For example:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2020/04/28/canterbury-village-drive-in-theater-coronavirus/3039652001/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, doublejack said:

The problem is most theaters won't be able to maintain that six foot social distance guideline with a checkerboard pattern. You're talking about 2-3 feet between patrons, maximum, at 50% capacity. Even theaters with stadium or recliner style seating couldn't sell every other seat and maintain six feet of separation.

We're starting to see other ways of meeting people's desire to see movies. For example:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2020/04/28/canterbury-village-drive-in-theater-coronavirus/3039652001/

Im surprised more drive in theaters arent opening. Have most of them gone out of existence? 

• Sad 1

RIP Movie Theaters (1899-2020).

The show must go on.

Streamed films to be eligible for Oscars

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

I wouldn't write off the rest of the year yet but yeah, I think it's unlikely we see Tenet, Mulan, and WW 1984 release in their current spots. WB should move Tenet to Oct and WW to Dec (Dune moves to Matrix 4's spot).

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

RIP Movie Theaters (1899-2020).

The show must go on.

The caveat being that the movie must have been planned for a theatrical release in the first place. Something like SCOOB! will be eligible because it would be playing in theaters under normal circumstances but if it's a movie like Extraction which might've never been intended to enjoy a one week run in an LA theater (the usual qualification for the Oscars) then it isn't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The caveat being that the movie must have been planned for a theatrical release in the first place. Something like SCOOB! will be eligible because it would be playing in theaters under normal circumstances but if it's a movie like Extraction which might've never been intended to enjoy a one week run in an LA theater (the usual qualification for the Oscars) then it isn't.

What if Netflix says that Extraction is so good, they were planning a surprise release in 5000+ theaters but the coronavirus ruined the event?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

What if Netflix says that Extraction is so good, they were planning a surprise release in 5000+ theaters but the coronavirus ruined the event?

lol yeah doesn't work like that. Usually it's obvious which Netflix projects will compete for the Oscars and which ones are just stuff for their streaming service. The new Spike Lee and David Fincher movies fall under the former category and there's already been announcements that Hillbilly Elegy and The Prom will be getting theatrical releases as well. Movies like The Boys in the Band and The Devil All the Time which have been done for a while also seem like candidates for qualifying runs too.

Edited by filmlover

The distinction between a “TV Movie” and “Movie” always seemed pretty silly to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, Newsom announced today 4 phases for reopening California. Movie theaters are in phase 3 and that is supposedly months away. No way in hell will theaters in CA be open by July.

5 hours ago, babz06 said:

Im surprised more drive in theaters arent opening. Have most of them gone out of existence? 

A few are still around but pretty much, Yeah. They suffered a massive die off in the 80's.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, CloneWars said:

So, Newsom announced today 4 phases for reopening California. Movie theaters are in phase 3 and that is supposedly months away. No way in hell will theaters in CA be open by July.

Theatera are going to be among the last to things to reopen.

And all this is  presuming there is not resurge or second wave...which is a pretty good possibllity.

6 hours ago, doublejack said:

From just a pratical viewpoint  enforcing social distancing in a movie theater is a nightmare and probably borderline impossible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Panda said:

The distinction between a “TV Movie” and “Movie” always seemed pretty silly to me.

Well, to begin with the budgets for "TV movies" until recently, were much,much lower then a theaterical movie's budget.

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

Well, to begin with the budgets for "TV movies" until recently, were much,much lower then a theaterical movie's budget.

Still seems like a silly reason to award them in separate categories to me

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Still seems like a silly reason to award them in separate categories to me

I feel it is more silly but practical than that, what would this document received by voter would look like:

https://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/92nd_oscars_reminder_list.pdf

A list that would become more important now that which movie are released in 2019 become a more open question without a clear rules, would the document have more than 10,000 eligible movies on it ? Would a voter receive some form of campaign content for thousand of them (like streaming keys), it would require a cramping down on what they can receive from campaigner to not become a unmanageable affair.

It is I imagine tradition (at a time having the movie physically play in los angeles so voter could watch them was probably literally that) but over time it probably became a necessary way to have 300-500 movies in the field instead of 10-20K

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wrong thread 

Edited by FilmBuff