google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I think rooting for the failure of movie theaters is a bad idea.

They employ nearly half a million folks and streaming will replace them with near zero. That on top of all of the jobs it generates that support it.

It's like people that rooted for the failure of GM or Ford. I don't love either car company but I hope they do just fine.

Theaters won't go away. If streaming takes over the theaters will just find some other focus.

42 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Theaters won't go away. If streaming takes over the theaters will just find some other focus.

If movies had no wait 90 day period and streaming became the main protocol I imagine 80-90% would close.

• Like 1

Went to the movies after almost 6 months to see Inception. Gawd I have missed the whole experience. On a positive note, I don't think I have ever seen the theater that clean before.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Went to the movies after almost 6 months to see Inception. Gawd I have missed the whole experience. On a positive note, I don't think I have ever seen the theater that clean before.

That's what I said Thursday night...it's one reason I went the 1st night (if they couldn't keep it clean night #1, I knew AMC was not a chain to go back to for another movie, so they passed the 1st test).

I walked into my Cinemark on its 1st night when I went to a murder mystery room with my spouse for our anniversary last week, and they were also spotless on the inside (couldn't see the theaters, themselves, but you gotta start somewhere), so they also passed the 1st test...so we may be trying a cheap Tuesday there to see if they can keep it up on a relatively crowded weeknight (not sure which Tuesday in September yet:)...

• Like 3

Just went to the theater for the first time since mid February.  Had a great time and all protocols were being followed.  Will be back in two weeks to see Tenet for sure!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Clearly COVID meant to target the US version for having Sarah Palin on as a contestant earlier this year but since it can't do that, Australia had to pay the price instead. Sad!

I don’t watch it and I can’t believe it was being filmed in Melbourne. How is it an essential service? All live sport has left the state and Melbourne is in a heavy lockdown. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, antovolk said:

Where? Seen some people on my TL posting that they got tickets from their local....seems in the US that's all fine? 

Maybe it's just in California. I went to the Tenet film site which shows all theaters Tenet will be playing at. Not a single theater in California is listed, including the drive-ins.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eric the Unhinged said:

And dudes like Horror of Lucas Films and Litio fetishizing everything about movie theaters and Winonaing and throwing hissy fits at every other post that dares to say "gee I don't think Tenet will do well and people should stay at home" is somehow better? At least Tele wasn't obnoxious pre-pandemic.

I'm just playing with the guy, tele knows what I'm all about. He's got far more troubling opinions that draw my scorn. Ain't that right babe 😉 @Plain Old Tele

• Disbelief 1

Not very impressed by the social distancing measures at my local theaters. It appears way too many seats for sale are pretty close to each other. 

Looks like Unhinged is going to have about a 4m OW Domestically and 10m WW opening. It will probably be years before we see studios make another 200m film. Unless Tenet does about ten to twenty times better than that I think we will most definitely be seeing Black Widow going to Disney plus.

Edited by RockyMountain
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

A friend saw Inception in IMAX yesterday at the Regal at the mall that just reopened and said it was a really smooth experience overall but there were only a few other people there (as expected for a decade-old movie). Newer movies with actual potential to fill theaters up will give us a clearer picture as to what moviegoing during a pandemic will look like.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Looks like Unhinged is going to have about a 4m OW Domestically and 10m WW opening. It will probably be years before we see studios make another 200m film. Unless Tenet does about ten to twenty times better than that I think we will most definitely be seeing Black Widow going to Disney plus.

You're really gonna use Unhinged, a movie that looked like the kind of throwaway late summer dump that would've made $6M opening/$17M total at most even under normal circumstances, as the sign that movie theaters are doomed huh.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You're really gonna use Unhinged, a movie that looked like the kind of throwaway late summer dump that would've made $6M opening/$17M total at most even under normal circumstances, as the sign that movie theaters are doomed huh.

Would have made quite a bit more than that. Think we are probably looking at a sub 50m WW OW for Tenet.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:51 PM, RockyMountain said:

Did drive in and theater find other focus went television and urban sprawling became popular ? (many market saw 75% decline in the number of theater screens with TV becoming mainstream), what focus would they have ?

5 hours ago, RockyMountain said:

Look at the China BO this weekend. It's crazy high...people are back in theaters. They'll be back in the rest of the world too once the Corona situation settles. They need to hurry up with the vaccine. If it is available by may, next year as they hope, then the second half of next year, theaters in the US will start to seriously recover. People are willing to go and get out of the house.

Edited by Maggie

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

Look at the China BO this weekend. It's crazy high...people are back in theaters. They'll be back in the rest of the world too once the Corona situation settles. They need to hurry up with the vaccine. If it is available by may, next year as they hope, then the second half of next year, theaters in the US will start to seriously recover. People are willing to go and get out of the house.

China had probably the strictest lockdown in the world. In many cities you couldnt even go outside at all.  Everything was enforced, no idiotic encouragement or whining about freedoms. Temperature checks and tests everywhere. 

So people are more or less sure that it is safe to go. And stilll they go only for one particular movie. Onward bombed and Trolls sequel did pathetic numbers.  Europe did not so good and covid is already back thanks to millions of tourists, parties, bars, restaurants and nightclubs. Most likely with school reopeinings it will be much worse pretty soon.  And i dont even want to talk about countries like Ukraiine. Went yesterday to a beach in tourist disctrict.  Everything was crowded with not a single mask in sight. You cant tell any difference compared to last year. 

Edited by juni78ukr
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Family movies (if they open in theaters) are probably gonna have it rough but most other movies might not be so bad looking at the early sales for Tenet and even New Mutants. Probably shouldn't underestimate the desire for a lot of people to do normal things again (regardless of the current situation).

• Like 1

One more thing about this weekend - a large portion of the "normal" AMC movie going audience went Thursday for 15 cent tickets, so they weren't going for Unhinged or the weekend...I mean, yeah, maybe many also only went b/c of the price, but I'm sure there was a % that will be regular movie goers going forward that just weren't gonna go twice in a weekend:)...

Those folks should show up in future weekends:)...

• Like 1

Not looking likely that China will be able to give Inception enough to help it reach the elusive $1B WW gross