google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

Was near one of the multiplexes that is planning to reopen this upcoming weekend and saw they had updated their "coming soon" posters outside to more current ones, including new ones for Black Widow and Soul listing their current "November 6" and "November 20" release dates. Nice to see Disney's still committed to giving the latter a proper release (for now, at least).

• Like 2

Thqt $105M looks pretty low for Tenet. I hope the actual gross increase from its current estimation!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sfran43 said:

Thqt $105M looks pretty low for Tenet. I hope the actual gross increase from its current estimation!

Imagine asking for more during or just after a once in a century pandemic lol.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:45 PM, CloneWars said:

Maybe it's just in California. I went to the Tenet film site which shows all theaters Tenet will be playing at. Not a single theater in California is listed, including the drive-ins.

ALmost all the major cities and Counties in California are keeping the theaters closed. A few might be open in the rural areas, but overall Movie theaters in California are closed by law.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

ALmost all the major cities and Counties in California are keeping the theaters closed. A few might be open in the rural areas, but overall Movie theaters in California are closed by law.

This is true, but drive-ins are allowed to be open and quite a few are in CA. It appears Tenet won't show in drive-ins in California though.

2 hours ago, CloneWars said:

This is true, but drive-ins are allowed to be open and quite a few are in CA. It appears Tenet won't show in drive-ins in California though.

I think there’s fewer than 20 drive-ins in California. (Not sure how that compares to other states or America in total.)

Edited by Plain Old Tele

18 hours ago, Reckoning55 said:

Imagine asking for more during or just after a once in a century pandemic lol.

I was going by how well the attendance is going, and Tenet still has another week and a half before it debuts in China! So yes, I think it has potential to do better in a country not currently ravaged by "a once in a century pandemic".

• Astonished 1

On 8/23/2020 at 6:57 PM, juni78ukr said:

So people are more or less sure that it is safe to go. And stilll they go only for one particular movie. Onward bombed and Trolls sequel did pathetic numbers.  Europe did not so good and covid is already back thanks to millions of tourists, parties, bars, restaurants and nightclubs. Most likely with school reopeinings it will be much worse pretty soon.  And i dont even want to talk about countries like Ukraiine. Went yesterday to a beach in tourist disctrict.  Everything was crowded with not a single mask in sight. You cant tell any difference compared to last year. 

This post surely aged well!

• Like 1

Looks like that China haul pushed Interstellar over the 700m WW mark. Not bad for a sometimes impenetrable hard sci-fi movie.

Looks like audiences in India at least will not flock to theatres even if they reopen according to a recent survey. 

Only 6% of people said they will go see movies maybe once or more whereas 77% of those surveyed said they will not go even if cinemas opened. 

Cinemas in India have not reopened yet since lockdown started on March 22. News outlet have been reporting that they may not open in September either but some are saying that single screen theatres will be allowed but multiplexes wont be.