DeeCee

Coronavirus and Sport Thread

32 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I didn't hear about this until just now as I have, understandably as a Giants fan, been on an information blackout on all things MLB once that final out was recorded.  Only found out via a political Twitter feed.

Like, JFC! They let him take part in post game celebrations.

ElZBPCHVMAERIgp?format=jpg&name=small

Video:

I get a potential once-in-a-lifetime happiness outlook, but...  Really Manfred?  REALLY???

I mean, I KNOW they're outdoors.  

Just...

I think I'll shut up now as I really know the optics here of me as a Giants fan so...

Yeah...  I'll let others take over if they wish.

I get the desire to allow it but it seems to be an incredibly unwise decision for all involved. I guess they’re now planning on doing a bunch of additional rapid testing and delaying the trip back to LA? (Or so I saw, from some report.) But still, no bueno.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I get the desire to allow it but it seems to be an incredibly unwise decision for all involved. I guess they’re now planning on doing a bunch of additional rapid testing and delaying the trip back to LA? (Or so I saw, from some report.) But still, no bueno.

Rapid contact tracing and testing according to reports.

What's worse, IMO, is this.

• Ken Rosenthal said on FS1 late Tuesday that Justin Turner (COVID-19) "insisted upon" being part of the Dodgers' World Series clinching celebration.

Turner was pulled before the eighth inning of Tuesday night's World Series Game 6 win when the Dodgers were alerted that the veteran third baseman had tested positive for COVID-19, but he joined his teammates on the field 20-30 minutes after the final out and even took part in a team photo on the mound. The transcribed television report from Rosenthal: "My understanding from various people is that he was told not to go on the field, or asked not to go on the field. He insisted upon it, the Dodgers insisted upon it, and that is why he was out there. And at one point, he did have his mask off. He was mostly masked, but there was a point during the picture that he did take it off." Rosenthal also stated that "this is not a case of a false positive."

Oct 28, 2020, 1:23 AM ET

•  
  •  

Video report here:

I really don't want to comment too much about this for optics reasons, but... it's just a terrible black eye for the league.

Apparently there was an inconclusive test yesterday that they found out about in the 2nd inning (Jeff Passan reporting) and then the results of today's test came in late in the game.

I suppose the damage had already been done in regards to possible contamination, but I just hope and pray that this doesn't turn out to be a super spreader event not just because of the damage it would do to the league, but because of the potential human suffering involved.

This sort of semi-souring of a celebration isn't something I would wish on anyone, BTW.  Just bad all the way around. :(

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Also have to wonder just how COVID-19 breeched baseball's bubble.  

If it was because of the fans/all the extra people in the ballpark that eventually hopped its way to Justin Turner... qnqGT0e.png

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Rapid contact tracing and testing according to reports.

What's worse, IMO, is this.

Video report here:

I really don't want to comment too much about this for optics reasons, but... it's just a terrible black eye for the league.

Apparently there was an inconclusive test yesterday that they found out about in the 2nd inning (Jeff Passan reporting) and then the results of today's test came in late in the game.

I suppose the damage had already been done in regards to possible contamination, but I just hope and pray that this doesn't turn out to be a super spreader event not just because of the damage it would do to the league, but because of the potential human suffering involved.

This sort of semi-souring of a celebration isn't something I would wish on anyone, BTW.  Just bad all the way around. :(

This is why you don’t let players (or even teams) make decisions, they’ll get caught up in emotions and do dumb shit. It’s why you (in theory, at least) have a commissioner to make the hard, ironclad decisions. It’s stupid, I hope they isolate and trace correctly and that no one suffers for this particular idiocy. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

This is why you don’t let players (or even teams) make decisions, they’ll get caught up in emotions and do dumb shit. It’s why you (in theory, at least) have a commissioner to make the hard, ironclad decisions. It’s stupid, I hope they isolate and trace correctly and that no one suffers for this particular idiocy. 

4k41v0.jpg

• Like 1

1. WTF Kevin Cash?!  You’re in a win or go home situation against the best team in baseball. You gotta throw that analytical BS out the window and use your damn eyes. Snell was dealing. Leave him in there until he at least gives up one run. If you want to take him out then, fine. 

2. How the hell was Turner even remotely allowed to go back out on the field? Not a good look at all. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Will there be fines? Has the league been fining for COVID breaches?

Players and coaches in Australia have been fined for breaches and they weren't even confirmed cases.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-07/coronavirus-south-sydney-coach-wayne-bennett-fined-for-breach/12536738#:~:text=South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett has been fined %2420%2C000 by,league's COVID-19 biosecurity protocols.

Wayne Bennett is probably best described as the Bill Belichick of the NRL.

COVID has officially been eliminated in South Bend. 

NBA (and NHL for that matter) better be thinking real long and hard at about what sort of COVID related policies they're gonna be enacting as they try to open up the '20-'21 season in the teeth of the third wave.

Reading between various lines, it looks like there is next to no appetite for another hard bubble ala the playoffs in both NBA and NHL.  Get the sense that the NBA at least is looking at the relative success of MLB and NFL with their "soft" bubbles and trying to craft a plan around those examples.  Problem is, MLB had its season on the decline of the second wave and the jury is still somewhat out on the NFL.  The other major problem is the sheer difference in the sports themselves and the venues they play in.

Don't know what they're gonna do if they don't have another hard bubble but I don't envy the task ahead of them when it comes to both figuring it out and implementing it.

On 10/27/2020 at 11:26 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

I agree, except I also balme the Commsioner for not doing his job here.

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

NBA (and NHL for that matter) better be thinking real long and hard at about what sort of COVID related policies they're gonna be enacting as they try to open up the '20-'21 season in the teeth of the third wave.

Reading between various lines, it looks like there is next to no appetite for another hard bubble ala the playoffs in both NBA and NHL.  Get the sense that the NBA at least is looking at the relative success of MLB and NFL with their "soft" bubbles and trying to craft a plan around those examples.  Problem is, MLB had its season on the decline of the second wave and the jury is still somewhat out on the NFL.  The other major problem is the sheer difference in the sports themselves and the venues they play in.

Don't know what they're gonna do if they don't have another hard bubble but I don't envy the task ahead of them when it comes to both figuring it out and implementing it.

And you have to wonder how much burn out there might be with the new season following so quikcly upon the old season.

Frankly, delaying until spring might be a good thing both from a health and a busness point of view.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And you have to wonder how much burn out there might be with the new season following so quikcly upon the old season.

Frankly, delaying until spring might be a good thing both from a health and a busness point of view.

The NBA, at least, desperately wants that Christmas Showcase Money and to be done in time for the Tokyo Olympics. 

If the moved Summer Olympics weren't looming large they might consider a later date, but the NBA still wants to chase that global prestige.

NHL, on the other hand, is looking at a Jan start, so maybe the NBA wouldn't wait too long either.

Wow different worlds.  Here in australia, we have the 3rd Origin coming up next week (QLD vs NSW) which will be the decider.  It appears that QLD is about update their restrictions again and will allow full capacity at the game (it's been restricted to 30k of the 50k or so that it can take.

• Like 1

Game 1 in Adelaide was the funniest when it comes to COVID. 

At the time people from NSW were banned from entering Queensland. 

Fans from NSW could travel to South Australia and attend the game. 

Fans from Queensland could travel to South Australia, attend the game and then immediately travel home. 

So people from NSW and Queensland could spend 2-3 hours in close proximity in South Australia but only the Queenslanders could go back to Queensland. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Game 1 in Adelaide was the funniest when it comes to COVID. 

At the time people from NSW were banned from entering Queensland. 

Fans from NSW could travel to South Australia and attend the game. 

Fans from Queensland could travel to South Australia, attend the game and then immediately travel home. 

So people from NSW and Queensland could spend 2-3 hours in close proximity in South Australia but only the Queenslanders could go back to Queensland. 

don't tell anna that or else she might block South Australia yet...... ;)

The NRL restarted with round 3 on 28 May with cardboard cutouts for a crowd. 

The season will conclude tomorrow night with the game 3 deciding State of Origin at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane. It will be a capacity crowd of 50,000. 

On 10/27/2020 at 11:15 PM, Porthos said:

Also have to wonder just how COVID-19 breeched baseball's bubble.  

If it was because of the fans/all the extra people in the ballpark that eventually hopped its way to Justin Turner... qnqGT0e.png

That the bubble would be breached was only a matter of time.

And I see one of the big NFL  THanksgiving games..the Ravens/Steelers game  has been "postponed" because of the virus.

Nice going guys.

Edited by dudalb

On 11/13/2020 at 3:31 AM, JJ-8 said:

Wow different worlds.  Here in australia, we have the 3rd Origin coming up next week (QLD vs NSW) which will be the decider.  It appears that QLD is about update their restrictions again and will allow full capacity at the game (it's been restricted to 30k of the 50k or so that it can take.

That it's summer down under and winter in the Northern Hemisphere has something to do with that.

On 11/27/2020 at 7:58 AM, dudalb said:

That it's summer down under and winter in the Northern Hemisphere has something to do with that.

Not really.