YM!

YourMother’s Country Style Y7 Reviews - Wash Your Hands and Stay Safe

Hello, my friends, as we know Y7 starts in 10 days and I thought I’d get my review page ready, and start accepting requests, but that’s not all. I’m also re-reading and in some cases re-critiquing predecessors of Y7 films such as:

• The Scavenger Wars
  • The Scavenger Wars Part II
  • Pillars of Eternity: The Hollow Vale
  • Pillars of Eternity: Never Far From The Queen
  • Yin
  • The Last Six
  • Sir Thymes Time
  • Call of Duty
  • Call of Duty 2
  • and whatever else is coming

The Chopping Block

• Beyblade

Post your requests below and I’ll get on the grading chart. This year will be graded on a 10 point scale but only 9/10 and above get the coveted D O N G.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

Scooby Doo: Cult of The Creeper

Spoiler

Scooby Doo has always been one of the most well known and beloved cartoons. Scooby-Doo: Apocalypse, takes the beloved franchise into a more horror/action centric route which works, but how did I feel about Scooby 2?

Honestly, I like this one more. It’s up the ante by adding in character development for the main gang and adds a delightful stew of new characters such as The Hex Girls who enchant the film, but the strength of the movie is the songs, which help amplify the tense moments and the fun action beats. 

Scooby had a fun arc as well as Velma and Fred, and while Shaggy x Daphne relationship doesn’t do too much for me, it still works. While Carswell and Belle are a clear step up from the original antagonist, I’d like more exploration into the psyche and the cult. Also Zombie Fred could have been explored more but we’ll like get more in the sequel.

All and All, it’s a solid improvement and a great time at the theaters and I’m excited to see where theses films goes next.

8.0/10.0

• Thanks 1

Beyblade - The War Unleashed - Let Them Rip

Spoiler

I am not too familiar with the Beyblade canon as when I was a kid I was more of a Pokémon boy but got the jist of Beyblade. Also the theme song is a banger. This doesn’t follow the canon at all, but aside from that as I have no issue with it, it’s nonsensical, ludicrous, and probably not a good film, but yet, I love it.

The action scenes and balls to the wall attitude this film flaunts adds to the fun of the film. The characters might not be the most compelling especially as a love interest is just added on at the end, they do their jobs well and in the case of some like Ruffalo provide excellent ham.

Most likely fans will be sore, and some people likely won’t like this but I had fun reading this.

5.0/10.0

• Sad 1

January

Vixen and the Flaming Feather - 6/10 - Nothing extraordinary but is a fun family flick with some nice visuals

Hypercomptency - 7/10 - Visually dazzling filled with impressive action, and appealing characters, Hypercomptency is a massive cut above the average January fare. My problem, for me there’s a lot of exposition and I was a bit confused for the rules of the film, which took me out of it.

Finders Keepers - 6/10 - It was entertaining watching assholes trying to kill one another, in a sort of Final Destination manner. Pretty basic otherwise though.

Outside The Law - 5/10 - An interesting idea but has a very muddled focus. Didn’t do much for me to be honest.

• Like 4

February 

UPDATE: Hypercomptency’s grade is being bumped up to a 7.5/10.0 upon further reflection.

Burn This - 5.5/10 - It’s a solid play, didn’t do much for me.

Love After Living - 2/10 - A morbid and graphic  film where it’s fatal flaw in that it tries to use shock value but fails and disgusts. It sort of feels like a cousin to the Poison and Wine series.

Carver - 5/10 - The story will nice to be told for younger audiences, fails to captivate or intrigue.

Starlight - 7.25/10 - While the story, nor the majority of characters aside from the brothers and Leina, there’s still strong animation, eye popping action and visuals, and a step up from Horizon’s normal fare.

Conventionally Wiser - 4.5/10 - While the action is ludicrous, this sequel sort of feels like a live action Looney Tunes cartoon but in a bad way. It’s still dumb fun but not Beyblade levels.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Spoiler

THE SCAVENGER WARS PART III

Spoilers below

Spoiler

The Scavenger Wars franchise has always been one of the main staples of what franchises are in CAYOM flaunting substance and creativity alongside Spark and Odyssey. The first was my personal favorite, two is slightly weaker but still a damn great sequel and I oddly like it more as it’s one of my personal favorites. So did 3, deliver? With the extra few days granted?

Yes, The Scavenger Wars Part III does. The action, while not as plentiful as the other two still captivates, and the writing as the usual for a Cookie Pictures film kicks ass. The strongest arsenal of the film is the heart and character development. All of the characters progress or in some cases regress in ways that add layers and depth to make the film. Take Sunn, I liked her in the first but in here’s she has grown so much. I won’t spoil more despite there’s a lot of spoilers in the review has an excellent dynamic between herself and Luna.

Tamara and Lucina kill it, as Lucina’s depression as she gets a nice addition to her character arc. Sal also gets some excellent moments as well. It was nice to see Henry, who gets a surprising amount of meat, and is pretty damn good. Carrie is adorable and fills Resse’s shoes well. 

Villain wise; the franchise really knows how to make strong villains. Jarek’s descent into madness is a treat to watch unfold as he struggles after achieving his endgame as Zedium’s presence just steals the show, as while Ares is a physical threat, she’s a psychological threat, and her manipulations throughout the film make it much more interesting.

The weakest link of the film is probably Enzo, don’t get me wrong she’s a cool character but I wish I got more of her, as she kind of felt like an afterthought as well as her mercenaries. I also felt that I could’ve needed more time on Khouga to see how the citizens react.

But is it DONG worthy?

Spoiler

Yes 

tumblr_inline_mqrh26jIU11qz4rgp.jpg

9.25/10.0

• Like 2

Sir Thymes Time 2

Spoiler

As the animation scene heats up Y7, one of the most consistent brands of animation in CAYOM aside from Endless Animation was Shining Star Animation. Thymes 1 was an enjoyable romp though I have cooled down on it since Y4, and was the first of the brand. While it’s not the best from the label, as that goes to Olive and another film I won’t mention, it’s an improvement from its predecessor.

With a fun performance by Jeff Bridges as the villainous Piano Man, as well as Wood’s performance as Sir Thymes Time, the sequel is full of laughs, and exciting musical sequences as we explore a world outside the jukebox breathing new life into the film. However there’s some trebble in this paradise, in that Thymes friends are sort of delegated as side characters which to be honest to me out of it and I do think we needed a bit more time analyzing the way music has changed in the digital age.

Still a fun time for families and everyone else and make some box office bling

7.75/10.0

• Like 1

Hilda and The Midnight Giant

Spoiler

After the four year wait, Cookie Pictures Animation is back in the animation game with it’s first non Ducktales franchise which also hopes to spark major franchise goals from what I have heard and seen. So how does Hilda hold up?

Pretty darn good. The script is smart, the animation and world is wonderful and engrossing as the colors pop to life due to the CG-2D mesh together, the characters shout-out to LaKeith as Wood Man and my gal Sasha as the spunky Hilda are all delightful and have their own unique quirks, while delivering a heartwarming message about home and has a thoughtful message.

What was the problem, I had a bit of a problem with the setup as I do believe the chase drags out a bit during the middle, which took a little out of me and the mystery of the Giant didn’t do much in the film as I thought it would.

Anyways, Hilda cements that CPA can do non Ducktales films and a pretty good one at that. I look forward to the sequels.

8.25/10

Cookie Pictures Animation ranking.

1. The Number One Dime
  2. Hilda and The Midnight Giant
  3. The Adventures of Scrooge McDuck

• Like 1

Spoiler

Into The Doghouse

Spoiler

I just want to give special shoutout to my good friend and newest member of CAYOM, @MCKillswitch123. I look forward to your future writing endeavors as well as reading the rest of your film ensemble this year. 

Into The Doghouse is the first Fincher film in a while in CAYOM as well as one of the first films focused on a telenova. How is the film?

While not of Fincher’s best work. It’s a solidly crafted thriller full of great performances from Harbour and Pugh while managing to be thoroughly entertaining, that said I had some issues. Mainly with the soap opera like nature, some of the twists as times goes on feel weak partially due to the dialogue being too over the top as the styles don’t mesh as well. I also felt some moments reminded me in a way of Poison and Wine were problems could’ve been solved by involving the police. A few characters could’ve gotten clipped but it would’ve saved the majority a lot of heartache.

All and all it’s a entertaining thriller as Fincher delivers the best he can, and is a great freshman effort from Phoenix Fire Studios. Also loved the ending as it sets up intrigue for a sequel, that could be extremely interesting.

7.25/10.0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2

The Ends of The Universe

Spoiler

As CAYOM ramps up the animation, the commercially viability of PG-13 animation at the box office is a hot topic despite the Y2 big hit To The Moon. Numerator Pictures attempts to jumpstart the trend with Ends and does it succeed?

Yes, it does. Stunningly animated, seriously watching the worlds come to life are beautiful from the cosmos of space, to the caves and forests and the sky village, it would’ve benefited from IMAX, strongly scripted with a stellar voice cast (I appreciate the use of voice actors @4815162342) with standouts as Lowenthal’s smooth Kidd, DiMaggio delightfully boisterous Bosch, and the beautiful Laura Bailey as Adina, this sci-fi adventure shines and set itself apart from other space opera entries.

Upon first read, I didn’t think it earned the PG-13 rating as apart from a few obvious scenes it could’ve passed for a PG but upon reread it works better despite the slight tameness at the beginning. The pacing near the end also sort of falls apart before the main villain arrives who could have used a bit more time setting him up.

All and all, it’s an excellent animated film that boisters a delightful treat for the older audiences and hopefully will do well enough to light back up the spark.

8.5/10.0

• Like 3