YM!

YourMother’s Country Style Y7 Reviews - Wash Your Hands and Stay Safe

Birdwing

Spoiler

As I’ve said before in the Thymes 2 review, and hinted on the group chat, this is the film I love from Shining Star Animation and a frontrunner for BAF. 

This is the best fully animated musical to come from CAYOM and SSA’s Can You Imagine moment imho.

The film contains some stunning animation namely at one of the flight scenes, lovely characters (with standouts from Eric Andre as The Rat who nails it in every scene as a fun and inspiring mentor/comic relief to Matthew Thomas who as Ardwin delivers as a likeable hero struggling to find his place and Christopher Jackson as King Rafe who’s both oddly sympathetic and despicable), smart script, empowering songs and in my opinion a pretty good message about self love and happiness as well as carrying some allegory that some of the struggles that some people in the LGBTQ community have with their families. 

The film has one minor flaw in that I was expect just a tad bit more scale such as Some of the Disney 1990s films but in actuality it doesn’t need to be like those and is stronger with out them. 

Howard and Greno deliver what is potentially my favorite animation of Y7. Bravo, @Blankments!

Spoiler

Dong?

Spoiler

Yes 

9.0/10.0

tumblr_inline_mqrh26jIU11qz4rgp.jpg

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

April

Looping - 9.0/10.0 - This is clear YourMother bait and I love it. The bond between Martin and Jackson work well as the film is full of fun thrills and heartwarming moments. I felt the ending was a bit of a cop out but I enjoyed it.

Monster Bug Wars - 5.0/10.0 - While the concept is interesting and watching the bugs wreck havoc are cool, the human stuff drags down the movie with an ending that sort of de-escalates the film.

Vengeance- 5.75/10.0 - Typical Liam Nesson flick, provides a bloody quest for vengeance but is pretty by the books.

I’ll Always Be There - 6/10 - Basic yet satisfying romance flick.

Whoopsie-Daisy - 3/10 - A pretty unfunny and bland comedy. Also why is this PG-13, it feels like it could’ve passed with a PG.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

March

Pillars of Eternity: An Ancient Legacy - 8.5/10.0 - Despite a rather at times busy runtime, the trilogy ends at a rather satisfying note with great characters, exhilarating action and landscape, and a well done story. The clear standout here is Sarana who has a very strong character arc, I won’t spoil.

The Last Fifer: Portait of a Clarinetist - 5.5/10.0 - A pretty basic documentary though it’s nice to see more of the musical elements being explored.

Higher Ground - 8.0/10.0 - A surprisingly effective horror disaster film that blends the disaster of a tsunami as well as the strain mental trauma puts on a person. Though it does get messy at times.

• Like 3

May
Dual Consequences - 7.25/10 - Sure it’s not a perfect film, as the writing for it doesn’t wow but the cast in particular Cruise and McAddams and some fun action sequences create a pretty cool action film.

Cruisin’ USA - 5.75/10.0 - It’s an okay sports flick, it is nice to see some good ole fashioned racing though.

Fatal Attraction - 9.0/10.0 - A surprisingly effective remake by switching up the formula by tackling toxic masculinity. McAvoy probably has my pick for a Best Actor nominee being a realistic and despicable antagonist with some weird Oedipal issues and Gyllenhaal nails the role as Maggie.

Call of Duty: Eye of The Storm - 6.5/10.0 - It’s COD. It’s pretty much what you’d expect, fun action, light plot but a good time.

• Like 4

Attack on Titan (contain spoilers)

Spoiler

If I were to describe this film in one word, it’d be chaotic. I mean a guy who turns into a Kaiju like half way into the film is some off the wall creative shit. Most of it in a good way, but when it leads the other way at times, it flounders. I have some familiarity with the anime having watched a season or two, and this is a pretty great adaptation that’ll please fans.

Getting Matt Reeves to do this film is a godsend, as the action like someone else said, this is probably the frontrunner for Best Action cause by god, it’s intense. The main three characters have a strong dynamic, could’ve felt Arwin (hey I spy a similar name) needed more but Mikasa and Eren are pretty cool. There’s also pretty good performances all around.

But this has some problems. Mainly the writing and pacing, this isn’t a OPM level problem but is still a major problem. Some of the flashbacks really drag the film down as well as the fact at times the action while mostly groundbreaking, feels overwhelming, in fact there’s just a lot going on but while I like Mikasa and Eren, most of the other characters felt kind of one note.

All in all, it is an experience to be seen on the big screen and I definitely enjoyed it.

7.25/10.0

• Sad 1

June minus Yang

Adam and Cindy - 6/10 - Cute doggos 

The Final Cut - 8/10 - A ballsy and gruesome horror movie where KMT truly shines.

Hearts on Fire - 6.0/10.0 - While not as fun as say Dual Consequences, it provides so much needed fun and delights with some good action.

Dear Evan Hansen - 6.25/10.0 - Yeah this film will be divisive. The music is powerful, the writing is well done and all of the characters are likeable but why didn’t I love this movie? I really felt it hard to root for Evan. Don’t get me wrong he’s still a likable character, but how the film ends sort of gives me mixed feelings on the character. 

• Like 3

July

Looney Tunes - 7.5/10.0 - It’s pretty cool seeing the classic cartoons in a 3D medium. That’s All Folks!

Scouts Honor - 5.75/10.0- God lord, the supervisors of these children are irresponsible. Anyways cute kids flick, but nothing much else.

Out On The Lake - 5.0/10.0 - Nothing much else to say. Pretty solid as far as horror fillers go.

The Exchange - 6.5/10.0 - Pretty cute coming of age comedy.

• Like 1

SURPRISE REVIEW!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ms. Blakk For President

Take it for Blankments Productions to deliver a knockout. I love this film, absolutely. The film deals with a heartfelt and interesting about a drag queen named Ms. Blakk running for president in order to bring more attention and aid to the LGBTQ community. 

The writing for this script is excellent, as well as the characters as Tituss Burgess probably has my vote for Best Actor locked. But what makes the film excellent is the heart, mainly between Blakk and JJ. I really liked that the film instead having a person of the LGBTQ community being ostracized by their families, JJ loves Blakk unconditionally and is there to help and lead to a moment in the film that melted my heart.

My only minor nitpick was at first, I expected more comedy but that was when it was announced as more of a satire.

Spoiler

9.5/10.0 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Spoiler

Tower of Babylon 

With a 300M budget, and visual glory by Denis Villenueve, Hunt Productions prepares its most ambitious film yet, but does it pay off? 

I’d say so. The visuals on the film only are worth the price of admission, as this was meant for IMAX. The slow burn may be a bit off a turn-off as well as lack of information for some but once it’s kicks into speed, you get enraptured into the world.

While the film itself seems rather vague, it works to it’s advantage as it tackles the themes of religion with the human experience, as well as faith. And a lot of times, you’re left with a lot to debate and think which you don’t get with movies often. I really like how a lot of the conversations are about faith and how Hallium interacts with his crew, it’s not drawn out or to make a message, it’s feels so lifelike.

I think it might be one of the most ambitious films that we’ve had and I love it.

Spoiler

Fuck it, Let’s Get Nuts

Spoiler

9.5/10.0

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

August

Lena and The Featherweights - 5.5/10.0 - This is Cannastop Productions first animated feature and first film since Cookie’s Number One Dime to featuring Ducktales characters. Unfortunately it pales to the work of Cookie’s Duck universe due to some unclear editing and pacing but has some good animation and voice acting.

The Long Way Home - 8.0/10.0 - And Ethan said Ash and Misty had “fuck energy”, where as I point out David and Amelia. Again, this is a fun addition to CAYOM space opera, despite some familiar beats and a bit of drag in the second act, the strongest part of this film is the ensemble mainly David, Amelia and Baitima as standouts. I look forward to the sequels.

Roman Fever - 9.1/10.0 - An invigorating and captivating drama about two women’s relationship told through powerful flashbacks and performances from Adams and Rider.

Tongues - 5.0/10.0 - While the concept is arguably rare in CAYOM but it’s lacking in everything else.

The Perfect Life - 5.5/10.0 - Pretty serviceable filler thriller. Nothing more or less.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Yang - 8.0/10.0 - While not a strong as it’s predecessor, Yang still offers some really trippy imagery with an arguably more thrilling plot. Naomi Scott does very well in this role, as I look forward to how the universe continues.

• Like 1

Laika

Spoiler

I just had to talk about this film. This may be my favorite animated film in CAYOM and I just had to talk about it more than a short blurb. Profoundly deep, tearjerking and heartfelt, with extravagant characters and engrossing story, Laika is the goodest girl.

Let’s talk about the standout characters: Yelena makes an excellent protagonist, showcasing her empathy as well as her driven nature making her someone the audience loves to root for and Korolev is an excellent antagonist, being a tortured individual by the Soviets after being accused for a traitor, who the audience feels empathy for yet also doing such ruthless actions who has my vote for Best Supporting Voice Actor.

The film has two minor flaws: One being that due to the cast the budget could’ve been buffed to $30M to account for cast and create more extraordinary visuals but still works well with the limited budget and I think the film should’ve gotten a PG-13 for a few scenes but it doesn’t take away points.

Laika is a stunning and solemn film and should be watched by any animation fan.

Spoiler

9.5/10.0

• Thanks 1

September

3:32 AM - 3.32/10.0 - The clock is ticking with my patience for these films.

Banjo Kazooie - 7.0/10.0 - While it does fall into typical video game movie trappings, the bond between Banjo and Kazooie as well as some fun songs will charm.

Columbine - 1.0/10.0 - Yeah, I don’t like to be negative on film but this one is rough. I don’t want to dog pile but the characters lack motivation and as the film continues, it just becomes really uncomfortable with the third act shoot out.

The First Month - 8.75/10.0 - While for me it took a while to find its footing, this is a heavily effective and engaging drama.

Dawn of The Last Six - 6.5/10 - While there’s definitely a lot of fun to be had with this and with Theron hamming it up as lust turning gods into simps, the sequel never quite finds the right footing for itself.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

October

Countdown City - 9.25/10.0 - A strong improvement to the Y6 due to larger stakes as Elgort gives a strong performance once more. Also who doesn’t love the doggo.

Tony Hawk: Pro Skater - 8.25/10.0 -A highly engaging video game adaptation with likeable characters and captivating cinematography.

Megalo Box - 8.5/10.0 - While it took me a bit to get into, this anime adaptation is the best in CAYOM so far, with exciting boxing matches, strong but familiar story and some great characters.

The Layover - 8.0/10.0 - A familiar but oh so sweet romantic comedy featuring great work from Brie and Domnhall.

Adult Swim Documentary - 7.75/10.0 - Possibly the most interesting documentary we’ve had on CAYOM so far.

Turkey Squad - 2.0/10.0 - Not ludicrously bad enough to be a fun watch but not the worst offender of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

November and December

American Barbecue - 5.0/10.0 - A standard dramedy with a few moments of awkwardness. 

Notorious - 9.25/10.0 - Numbers delivers another knock out with this smart, sharply written and thrilling thriller. Bravo!

The Written Word - 5.75/10.0 - Again not bad, but appreciate the black and white shooting,

Wii Play - 4.0/10.0 -

Until Dawn - 8.0/10.0 - While one plot at the end feels kind of overstuffed, it flows well once the film gets going, creating a delightfully and fun effective horror movie.

Temple Run - 6.5/10.0 - While there could be more adventure, the actors help provide a fun time and some fun set pieces.

The Gift Of Life - 7.5/10.0 - Another well made documentary. Good year for documentaries.

The Disappointment - 2.0/10.0 - Is it wrong to be disappointed I was expecting more off the wall stuff, also the film isn’t too funny.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Top 25 begins 11:00 AM EST/10:00 AM CST. 

and a few bumped scores and surprises in store...

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Dishonorable Mentions:

Note there is no such thing as a bad film unless you’re Johnny Test or Brickleberry, nor is there such a thing as bad writers as you all have showcased your talents throughout the years or if you’ve just joined. These films are just misguided or jumbled in ways that hurt the film.

Columbine

Love After Living

The Disappointment

3:32 AM

The Turkey Squad

Whoopsie-Daisy

and the winner is.... 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Love After Living

• Like 2
  • Sad 1