SLAM!

Slam! Movie Reviews [Y7 Edition]

Hello! Another fine year for a collection of reviews from a humble little CAYOM film magazine!

Every film will receive a score between 1 and 10, with variations of .25, .5, and .75--just like the popular gaming magazine GameInformer!

Here's what the review scores mean:

10 - Exceptional

This score is given rarely and indicates a one of a kind cinematic experience that must be seen in theaters.

9 - Adept

This is a film that, by all intents and purposes, not only accomplishes what it sets out to do, but is even able to expand upon its initial vision in unique ways.

8 - Proficient

Fans of this film's genre will certainly have a good time, though, perhaps, a certain pizzazz was left on the cutting room floor.

7- Fine

A film that, while technically sound, often fails to offer any new or fresh cinematic ideas.

6 - Mediocre

A film which leaves many things to be desired from both its technical and storytelling aspects -- though fans would surely still resonate with a film such as this.

5 - Hollow

The shell of a better film which fails to hold within itself the ghost of a more efficient product.

4 - Poor

It is evident that certain elements of the film fail to come together to make a coherent whole.

3 - Unsatisfactory

The talent and workers involved in this film did not perform the jobs that were asked of them by the studios who hired them.

2 - Incompetent

It's not that the talent and workers didn't do their jobs. It's that they couldn't.

1 - Traitorous

The act of seeing or watching a film with this score ought to be considered sacrilege against the countless filmmakers in history who fought tooth and nail to ensure the prosperous cinema we have today.

and introducting:

0 - Don't See This

Only used if audiences really shouldn't see it.

The staff of Slam! Reviews wishes the production studios of the Y7 film slate good luck!

Edited by SLAM!

SLAM! REVIEWS: JANUARY ISSUE SPOTLIGHT

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

HYPERCOMPETENCY

dir. Lana Wachowski

Hypercompetency is refreshing as an original sci-fi action film. The visual effects are outstanding, and the general premise is able to intrigue the viewer. The best sci-fi films ask a question and explore the question through theory as an actual experiment would--this film does just that. But I really don't think it's a perfect film--I think there are a few things that could be tweaked to make the sequel flow a bit better for the viewer.

The challenge that placing a film in a futuristic cityscape is that it might be hard for viewers to understand everything. There's things that viewers will be able to roll with, but the plasma gun stuff and the cybersuit stuff tends to get muddled and confusing from a storytelling standpoint. Visually, it's really cool. It fits the style and vibe that the film is going for pretty well. I dunno. If I were to compare it to Inception, I'd say Inception is able to guide the viewer along in a way that Hypercompetency doesn't quite achieve.

Jake Gyllenhaal is a good charismatic lead for this film, and Jessica Rothe does her best in the role she's given. But I still think the characters were somewhat weak; in other words, they weren't very memorable to me. I think Gyllenhaal's character arc lacked an emotional pull. Writers trying to make franchises tend to make a mistake by waiting to implement an emotional pull until after the first film is already in theaters. I think that mistake might've been made here--the film doesn't draw me in because the story lacks emotional weight.

However, I think the film is worth seeing in theaters for the action and visuals alone. Lana Wachowski channels her experience to model together a sleek vision of the future. Never has a film coated in shades of gray felt so colorful to me. I hope this becomes a January breakout in the vein of Bad Boys for Life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

January Reviews

Vixen and the Flaming Feather

It's a heartwarming story that children will enjoy, but I don't believe that it's very cinematic. The narration and the somewhat simplistic presentation creates that feeling for me. 5/10

Father Knows Worst

Critic knows worst. This is the worst. 3/10

Hypercompetency

I think the film is worth seeing in theaters for the action and visuals alone. Lana Wachowski channels her experience to model together a sleek vision of the future. Never has a film coated in shades of gray felt so colorful to me. 7.75/10

Finders Keepers

I found it to be not only exploitative in its approach to darkness, but somewhat dull in its approach to storytelling. 4/10

Outside the Law

This police procedural doesn't really feel knew, but it'll offer a good time for fans of the genre. 6/10

• Like 3

SLAM! REVIEWS: FEBRUARY ISSUE SPOTLIGHT

Advanced issues found

✌
Spoiler

STARLIGHT

dir. Alex Hirsch & Rodney Rothman

Starlight is the long-awaited next blockbuster from Horizon Entertainment, and it's a blockbuster that's shooting for the moon. It's a film that follows a familiar story structure, but the film more than makes up for that with an evocative and nostalgic visual presentation.

Let's talk about that visual presentation for a moment. This film is worth seeing in IMAX because of how colorful it is. It utilizes animation to evoke. I also love the choice to present flashbacks in black-and-white, which casts the film in a different light and adds a sense of importance to the story.

The film boasts an array of solid voice performances. Ryan Potter shines as the protagonist Haliar, Daisy Ridley gives a punctual performance, and Russell Crowe is a believably unnerving villain.

There's some story problems, though. There's a certain Marvelization to the storytelling approach--prioritizing action and stakes over emotional weight. It also whizzes by from plot point to plot point pretty quickly.  However! An honest storytelling structure is absolutely present here. The tale of brotherhood is defined pretty well. Every character has a place in the story. Even though I say it's rushed, I don't think it's too rushed. Children will no doubt be able to understand it, and I think they'll be delighted by it. This is the type of storytelling modern Star Wars films give to that same demographic, so why shouldn't animated films be prevented from the same?

In terms of animation, Starlight is a triumph in style and design. The narrative structure could provide conflict and establish bonds between the group of heroes as well as Haliar and Pairic, but story-wise, it does just enough to complement the visuals.

• Like 2

February Reviews

Broadway Selects: Burn This

The acting in here is solid, but the play itself isn't bombastic or comprehensive enough to warrant the effort to film it. 6/10

Love After Loving

There's select kernels of good acting and interesting direction in here, but due to the film's failure to prepare audiences for its disturbing content as well as its failure to confirm the heinous nature of said content, a perfect storm of circumstance makes it so that I cannot, in good conscience, recommend this film to audiences. 0/10

Starlight

It's a film that follows a familiar story structure, but the film more than makes up for that with an evocative and nostalgic visual presentation. 8.25/10

Plastic-Man

Bill Hader, Eric Andre, Anna Kendrick, and Billy Magnussen are all well-cast, and the film is effective in its effort to tell a story, but said story comes across as somewhat generic. 7.5/10

Conventionally Wiser

There's some good action here, but the story and its presentation both feel somewhat uninspired to me. The part at the end where Joe moved on from his wife's death was worded in a way that rubbed me wrong. 5.5/10

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

SLAM! REVIEWS: MARCH ISSUES SPOTLIGHT

(Double Feature)

Advanced issues found

⚖
Spoiler

IN THE DOGHOUSE

dir. David Fincher

*This spotlight contains spoilers.*

In The Doghouse takes its telenova source material and spins it in a way that showcases unnerving and thrilling cinematic practices. David Fincher directs the film in a brilliant manner, always thinking about how the visual image can accompany the whip-smart script. The pairing of director and source material provides this simple domestic thriller with an ugly smarminess that highlights a bitter side to humanity that viewers will be encouraged to diminish.

David Harbour and Daniela Ruah are both fantastic in this film. The whole ensemble is good, but I think Viola Davis is also especially good. Even when the script leans into somewhat corny dialogue, Viola Davis is still able to portray the character believably. She was perfect casting.

I'll talk about the corniness I saw; it's not something that completely tanks the experience, but there are some moments that unintentionally lessen the suspense. Some examples are when Ruah's mother suggests leaving "ungrateful Alice" behind, while the choice to end the film with the declaration that the mother was sterile... I think it would've been more dramatic and conclusive to see their reactions to that. That's just me. These issues were ultimately palatable because of how well David Fincher directed the film.

I'm not counting this in the review score, but I'm really not confident that this film really needed IMAX. Fincher gives the film a sense of visual flair, but IMAX isn't something that benefits the film in any way.

This film is an exciting debut for Phoenix Fire Entertainment, and I wish nothing but the best for this film's box office prospects.

Advanced issues found

😍
Spoiler

PILLARS OF ETERNITY: AN ANCIENT LEGACY

dir. Miguel Sapochnik

*This spotlight contains spoilers.*

Numerator Pictures specializes in something I've coined as the "literary blockbuster." Their tentpoles are able to draw from a wide knowledge range, and the newest iteration in the Pillars of Eternity franchise is no different. I admire this film; not only does it showcase memorable action-packed setpieces, but it provides rumination on a handful of real-world issues--rumination that is anything but fantastical.

Miguel Sapochnik directs this film with dignity and grace. There's a surprising amount of downtime--it never rushes to the finish. The ensemble continues to shine in their roles; Ana de Armas is emotional, while J.K. Simmons receives a few enthralling moments. I think a criticism along the lines of 'too many party members' would be a valid one, but I'm not overly zealous about actually making that criticism. I mean, I wouldn't blame someone for saying there's too many, but it really helps that everyone in the ensemble is perfectly cast.

Visually, the film is extremely impressive. The visual effects are still effective, and the production, costume, and makeup design are on point.

I think there are some script/story issues here. There's some modern choices when it comes to dialogue, such as "spill it" and whatnot. I disagree with dialogue like that because of the setting. (I know that the nitpick to end all nitpicks.) I also think that the decision to edit together moments between Sarana and Nysera with the moments between Iovara and Elanore were somewhat well-execution, but the device still has the potential to overwhelm some audience members.

All in all, I think that this film is a great conclusion to the Pillars of Eternity franchise. It's surprisingly soulful (no pun intended), and I appreciated the film's efforts to present its violence with PG-13 sensibilities. I think a lot of people are going to enjoy this one.

• Like 2

March Reviews

In The Doghouse

The pairing of director and source material provides this simple domestic thriller with an ugly smarminess that highlights a bitter side to humanity that viewers will be encouraged to diminish. 8.5/10

Dazzling

Cardi B does her best to entertain her audience, but there's nothing here to really entice cinema lovers. 6.5/10

Pillars of Eternity: An Ancient Legacy

I admire this film; not only does it showcase memorable action-packed setpieces, but it provides rumination on a handful of real-world issues--rumination that is anything but fantastical. 8.75/10

Hoops 3

The film shoots an air-ball, unfortunately. 5/10

Beyblade: The War Unleashed - Let Them Rip!

The visuals are shoddy, the story elements are silly, and the dialogue and characters isn't capable of doing its ensemble justice. There's no sincerity here. 3/10

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

SLAM! REVIEWS: APRIL ISSUE SPOTLIGHT

Spoiler

Advanced issues found

😍

Spoiler

HILDA AND THE MIDNIGHT GIANT

dir. Jill Culton

Hilda and the Midnight Giant represents a logical step forward from Cookie Animation's Ducktales franchise in many ways. It brings forward that franchise's sense of simplicity and humor while also forging a new path for its storytelling. Hilda and the Midnight Giant is a charming film that will surely delight audiences of all ages.

Pixie Davies shines as the titular character, while Michelle Dockery is a powerful presence as her mother. Virtually everyone in the voice cast is excellent.

The animation suits the film very well. If I were to describe the colorful designs in a few words, they'd be along the lines of 'vibrant' and 'childlike.' The visuals in this film are truly beautiful; they complement the story well, and they need to be seen on the biggest screen possible.

If there's one nitpick I can give, it's that the film's length is a smidge too long. There are a few scenes that could reasonably be trimmed so that they don't feel like they're meandering--a few scenes have situations that could be dealt with a bit faster.

I really liked this film. It's charming, it's visual, and it's well-performed.  [It's well written from a pure writing perspective, too!] A lot of people are going to enjoy this one.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 4

April Reviews

Father II: The Resurrection

A somewhat exploitative horror film with a surprising amount of heart and a playful attitude. Horror fans will appreciate this. 7/10

Hilda and the Midnight Giant

Hilda and the Midnight Giant is a charming film that will surely delight audiences of all ages. 9/10

Snow Leopards

Same old, same old. 6/10

Vengeance

The film could do a tad more to stand out from other action films, but it's a functional vehicle for Liam Neeson and Sung Kang. 6.75/10

Looping

A remarkable and original film that's sure to please audiences. 9/10

Monster Bug Wars

Giant bugs are sure to rake in giant box office, but it won't win over more discerning audiences. 5.5/10

I'll Always Be There

Somewhat functional. Ehrenreich and Gonzalez are delightful. 7.25/10

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

SLAM! REVIEWS: MAY ISSUE SPOTLIGHT

(Double Feature)

Advanced issues found

👔
Spoiler

DUAL CONSEQUENCES

dir. Doug Liman

This review contains spoilers.

Dual Consequences shares similarities with Die Hard in that it's willing to establish value of human life before it delves into its action. From there, the film speaks through its action, showcasing its action scenes in beautiful vistas. It's also willing to disseminate the genre as a whole; it commonly stops to ask itself, "what exactly is an action film?" The result is a competently filmed movie that will surely entertain many moviegoers.

Tom Cruise's character doesn't quite fit his established "type," but he nonetheless gives it his all in the department of stunt choreography. Ben Hardy, with his wide-eyed menace, makes for brilliant casting. Rachel McAdams plays her best villainous role since Mean Girls.

I've already hinted at this, but where the film falters a little is the storytelling. The film invests so much in its action/stunt choreography that it neglects important aspects of characterization. And while I love that it's asking the question "what's an action film," I find that a few of its disseminations left the film coming across as dry--such as the device's purpose never quite being revealed to the audience. It's interesting and worth presenting in a film, but it still comes across as dry.

This is a film with tons of exciting action. Tom Cruise gives it his all, and the film is effectively helmed by director Doug Liman. It's perhaps a functioning definition of the term 'Summer movie.' 

Advanced issues found

🤓
Spoiler

FATAL ATTRACTION

dir. Michelle MacLaren

Alpha Pictures' gender-swapped remake of the classic 80's thriller is ingenious in terms of its relevance to modern society. The film navigates its relationships and employs an excellent use of modern storytelling devices. It doesn't feel aged, in my opinion--if anything, it's somewhat retro. Fatal Attraction is a fascinating film that certainly has the potential to enthrall its audience.

Maggie Gyllenhaal melds within her character in a way that her fans won't expect. Many of her prior characters, such as her character in The Dark Knight, are somewhat innocent--so many of her actions and statements show a different side of the actress that many haven't seen before. James McAvoy is frightening as the crazed lover, while Adam Scott is also brilliant as Harold, providing his character with an effective range of emotions.

The film's storytelling is somewhat simplistic. But to me, it works anyway. I'm reminded of a mantra: tell complex stories in a simple manner, and tell simple stories in a complex manner. This film sticks to that, even if some of the writing comes across as simple.

This is a very competently made film, and the performances by Gyllenhaal, McAvoy, and Scott are all so powerful that they manage to make up for any issues it has. There's not much that's wrong with the film. It's well made, and it's worth your money.

• Thanks 1

May Reviews

Dual Consequences

This is a film with tons of exciting action. Tom Cruise gives it his all, and the film is effectively helmed by director Doug Liman. It's perhaps a functioning definition of the term 'Summer movie.' 8.5/10

Sir Thymes Time 2

This sequel provides a lot of fun and an engaging story for children and families, but it doesn't quite go the extra mile. 7/10

Fatal Attraction

The film navigates its relationships and employs an excellent use of modern storytelling devices. It doesn't feel aged, in my opinion--if anything, it's somewhat retro. Fatal Attraction is a fascinating film that certainly has the potential to enthrall its audience. 9/10

Call of Duty: Eye of the Storm

The best one in the series so far! Sean Bean is magnetic! 7.5/10

Flying High

I like Owl City! 8/10

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

SLAM! REVIEWS: JUNE ISSUE SPOTLIGHT

(Double Feature)

Advanced issues found

🙁
Spoiler

THE SCAVENGER WARS PART III

dir. Matt Shakman

This spotlight contains spoilers. (Probably.)

The Scavenger Wars is a franchise that already has a huge legacy. The third film bolsters it by tying together many of its narrative ends--but not all of them. The film makes a lot of sense in where the story goes, but it still feels surprising to the viewer. It's an engaging story, and I think it'll be hard for the fourth film to top in terms of its visual presentation and narrative excellence.

I'll start by praising the visual aspects. The production design draws the viewers into the world, as do the visual effects. The cinematography is also as brilliant and ethereal as it's been in the previous two films. The score is also suitably epic. The production team is doing everything it can to maintain the public's perception of the franchise, and that comes through with the breathless action sequences.

The ensemble continues to put in the work to make their characters iconic. Sasha Lane shows a different side to her acting range in an expanded role, while... Well... Everyone was good. It's not exactly surprising that everyone is good here--but alas.

I really like the narrative decisions in this film. The writers take the storylines of each major character and weave them together in ways that are brilliant. The decision to sideline Joel and Kira until film four pays off because I find the dissemination of modern blockbusters' "Marvel-ization" to be interesting. Franchises simply don't do that, and this series dared to do it so it could see how that would actually work. The result is a third film (and a franchise) that manages to diminish its scale to a single planet (as opposed to a galaxy or universe) and still maintain a feeling of high-stakes. I'm slightly worried for the fourth film because I don't know where the story can go after Khouga's been destroyed, but I trust the writers to figure something out (or have something already figured out).

I think this is a logical conclusion to many of the franchise's character arcs, and it's also a film that opens doors for the franchise's future. A lot of people care about this franchise, and the reasons as to why become evident when you look at the bigger picture of it all. I'm really happy to have read these films.

Advanced issues found

👔
Spoiler

SHOULD YOU IMAGINE?

dir. Genndy Tartakovsky

The second film in a planned trilogy ages up the main kid (their names aren't coming to mind at the moment, I'm really sorry), and it also introduces a sister character. The result is a brand new type of family dynamic that lays the foundation as to what this animated franchise is trying to do: it's showing how creativity and ingenuity are valuable traits for any age group--for both adults and children. It's a beautiful message, and Tartakovsky, for the most part, is able to employ the same magic he did in the first film. The animation is also vibrant. It's a great sequel. But there's a few things the franchise should work on going forward into the third film.

All of the voice actors continue to shine in their roles--and the new additions are all excellent as well. I think Jack Dylan Grazer is brilliant, as well as the one who plays the sister (forgot whether it's Martin or Joseph). Jason Mantzoukas is an effective "surprise villain," while Kate McKinnon chews the scenery, having a lot of fun as the character Turquoise. I think these villains are somewhat lacking in development; their characters are pieces of a jigsaw puzzle that aren't able to fit as well as one would hope. But their performances are still fun.

This will be a fun Summer blockbuster for families. The story has some puzzle pieces that don't quite fit, but it's still a fun Summer blockbuster.

• Like 2

June Reviews

Adam & Cindy

Families might enjoy it, but it really doesn't light the world on fire. 6/10

The Final Cut

It has a good horror film cast. The story is on the nose, but the film is still capable of catering to the horror audience. 6.5/10

The Scavenger Wars Part III

It's an engaging story, and I think it'll be hard for the fourth film to top in terms of its visual presentation and narrative excellence. 9.75/10

Dear Evan Hansen

Lucas Hedges and Amy Adams are especially brilliant in an emotionally moving film. I strongly disagree with other critics' point about Evan Hansen not receiving adequate repercussions for his actions. This is Cayom's best musical in years. [Hey, Blankments: I appreciated the choice to tell the viewer when to pause and play the song. The next time you do a broadway adaptation, I really hope you try that method again.] 9.5/10

Hearts of Fire

A by-the-books thriller with solid casting and gripping character dynamics. 7.75/10

Should You Imagine?

This will be a fun Summer blockbuster for families. The story has some puzzle pieces that don't quite fit, but it's still a fun Summer blockbuster. 8.5/10

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

SLAM! REVIEWS: JULY ISSUE SPOTLIGHT

Advanced issues found

🤓
Spoiler

ATTACK ON TITAN

dir. Matt Reeves

This review contains spoilers.

Attack on Titan is a logical progression from the critically acclaimed Odyssey trilogy for Matt Reeves. Visually, it's brilliant--if grotesque at times. The film's world is fully realized, and the cinematography is consistently dynamic. There are some story concerns I'm raising for the future, but the spectacle alone is enough to make me hopeful for the future of this burgeoning franchise.

I'll start with the performances. I'm not entirely convinced that Fionn Whitehead and [redacted] are the best choices for Eren Yeager and [redacted], respectively, but I think Lyrica Okano, Charlie Plummer, KJ Apa, and Zoe Kravitz are all especially brilliant as Mikasa, Armin, Jean, and Rico. I'm really happy with the storytelling changes that gave Rico such an expanded role, and I think Zoe Kravitz was a brilliant choice for it. I'm also happy that Michael Fassbender is not being wasted at all in this film. This is a cast that holds a lot of promise for the future of the franchise.

The production design and costume design are two things that especially help the world come alive. It's really fun to watch all of the soldiers zoom by on their special gadget things.

Let's talk about the story issues. There's something meticulous and stilted about the way this is written. I think it's a matter of the film being too faithful to the source material. I'm of the opinion that the film's technical elements are outstanding enough to provide the film with serious merit, but for the next films in the franchise, I want to see the story come into its own. This adaptation trimmed some story content, but it really needed to trim a lot more than it did. 

Attack on Titan is a fascinating film, but it's not for the faint of heart. It's a visceral and daring film that has enough outstanding action to help the film stand apart from its contemporaries. I want the series to adopt a faster pace and a braver sensibility, but as things stand, this is a promising start to a new series.

(Slam! Reviews has a strict rule against spotlighting films by the same creator in consecutive months. Editors have made the decision to spotlight Roman Fever in August alongside The Long Way Home, meaning that Scooby-Doo: Cult of the Creeper will receive a longer blurb than usual as opposed to a spotlight. As a disclaimer, Slam! Reviews's main critic has yet to to read either The Long Way Home or Roman Fever, and the decision to refrain from spotlighting Scooby-Doo: Cult of the Creeper is in no way an indicator of its quality.)

• Like 2

July Reviews

The Exchange

An appropriately fun comedy with heart. 7.25/10

Out on the Lake

A horror film that's too mysterious for its own good. 5/10

Looney Tunes: The Classics Remastered

A fun treat for animaniacs and families alike, this film is an effective time capsule and a best-hits collection that is wonderfully woven together. There's no arguing with the classics. 10/10

(Disclaimer: remasters are ineligible for Slam! Reviews's Top 25.)

Scooby-Doo: Cult of the Creeper

The film and its corresponding franchise continues to be as daring and original as its predecessor. Jeff Goldbum is an inspired choice to voice Scooby-Doo, and his casting continues to pay off here. The acting is intelligently constructed, and there's a manageable sense of scale. All of the actresses who play those band members are smart additions to the cast. It's a little less surprising and "mysterious" than the previous film, but I think it continues to honor the spirit of the franchise as a whole. This is solid work. 8.25/10

Scout's Honor

The last time I ordered girl scout cookies, there were coconut delights in my box of thin mints, and I don't really like coconut very much, so this film left a sour taste in my mouth. 4/10

Attack on Titan

Attack on Titan is a fascinating film, but it's not for the faint of heart. It's a visceral and daring film that has enough outstanding action to help the film stand apart from its contemporaries. I want the series to adopt a faster pace and a braver sensibility, but as things stand, this is a promising start to a new series. 8.5/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SLAM! REVIEWS: AUGUST ISSUE SPOTLIGHT
(Double Feature)

Advanced issues found

👔

Spoiler

THE LONG WAY HOME

dir. Steven Caple, Jr.

The Long Way Home is the humble beginning of a brand new science fiction series. It's already much different from Numerator Pictures' Mass Effect franchise in terms of tone and focus. Mass Effect is somewhat grittier and focuses on interspecies conflict, while this one is a much more traditional action-adventure film that families might enjoy together. While it's not exactly surprising or fresh, this film is a promising start to a burgeoning franchise.

While Mass Effect is swathed in a darker palette, Long Way Home is the more colorful alternative. Alien species are modeled primarily off of real-life animals such as bobcats and whatnot. I also believe that the decision to present certain alien species in makeup (as opposed to mo-cap) was a really nice touch. The visual effects, of course, are excellent; they pull the viewer into the world, doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

The film also has a fun cast. John David Washington plays a good protagonist, while Naomi Scott is as charming as ever. Jack Lowden's character is especially memorable as well.

I've seen a common criticism that the film comes across as somewhat generic, and I think I agree. This is a "sci-fi" film, but I don't really know what else it's trying to be besides a "sci-fi" film. Mass Effect is a police procedural, Spark is young adult fiction, and Scavengers is an exploration of an alien nation/civilization and its relationship with metaphysical extraterrestrials. Personally, I'm struggling to pinpoint a specific identity for this franchise.

The Long Way Home is an exciting film despite its lack of identity. It has more than enough action and visual effects to sustain an audience for its runtime, and I hope that, with the sequel, it begins to lean toward a more specific direction.

Advanced issues found

🤓
Spoiler

ROMAN FEVER

dir. Sofia Coppola

Roman Fever is an anomaly in terms of films this year. It's a drama about women who haven't been able to let go of their past. With its dwelling in a single location for the majority of its runtime, the film has every opportunity to drag, but Sofia Coppola manages to direct the film with a sensible passion, and the subtle performances of Amy Adams and Winona Ryder really bolster the piece.

Let's talk about those performances. Amy Adams is in her smarmiest role yet; she plays her role like a character, and she comes across as somewhat arrogant. Winona Ryder is the one who's somewhat broken and apologetic. But it's true that both of the actresses fit their roles perfectly, making both characters dynamic.

I think the original score by Lesley Barber is one of the most distinct musical scores Y7 has to offer. There's a certain sense of classiness to many of its piano melodies. Other critics might disagree due to its simplicity, but I'm willing to go to bat for this film's music. The script is very strong, because the film is extremely aware of the character dynamics and slowly builds up by means of the "slow burn" technique.

I think there were some moments we didn't get in this cut of the film that I wanted more of. It would've been cool to see more flashbacks of the younger Alida and Grace, and it also would've been cool to cut to the daughters, Barbara and Jenny, from time to time. I know that might sound like a lot of plot threads to juggle, but I felt like the story information presented stretch the runtime pretty thin. It would've been really cool to have cinematic inserts in the film--it would've made the film a tad more dynamic. The film is already a gripping drama as is, but when the credits rolled, I asked myself if that what really it.

Roman Fever is a fascinating film that also manages to feel somewhat relevant--eerily relevant--because of the coronavirus. Alida hoping that Grace catches the sickness is made a little more disgusting to the viewer because of the current pandemic. I wish this film had some more expressive dynamism, but in its current state, there are two great central performances, beautiful locales, a delightful musical score, and a gripping melodrama. Be sure to see Coppola's ravishing dramatic film in a theater near you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

August Reviews

Lena and the Featherweights

There are some jumps in storytelling logic, but the film manages to hold viewer's interest thanks to impressive visual design. This'll be an interesting one to watch at the box office. 6/10

The Long Way Home

The Long Way Home is an exciting film despite its lack of identity. It has more than enough action and visual effects to sustain an audience for its runtime, and I hope that, with the sequel, it begins to lean toward a more specific direction. 8/10

Roman Fever

I wish this film had some more expressive dynamism, but in its current state, there are two great central performances, beautiful locales, a delightful musical score, and a gripping melodrama. 8.75/10

Loving a Shadow

The cat is adorable; I'll give it that. 5/10

The Perfect Life

An engaging thriller. 7/10

Snakes

Why does it always have to be snakes? 5.5/10

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A thought or two.

Spoiler

I'm sorry but I don't understand the criticism about The Long Way Home not being "about something" in part because you're recontextualizing first films in other sci-fi franchises based on developments in sequels, which is an unfair way of evaluating this movie. For example I would not say that the first Spark is really "about something" other than being a rip-roaring yarn, which is a-ok. It's only when you get into Homeward and beyond that the series starts digging really deeper into particular things, and funnily enough, most people would still say that the first film is the best.

The idea that everything has to be "about something" otherwise it's not as good is a false way of looking at film, IMO. 

Furthermore, I don't understand saying you don't understand what the film is trying to be. I feel like the tone and the style of the movie is obvious to me and I don't get how it not being Mission Impossible in Space or Racial/Xenophobic Politics the Film but instead something more classical at the start is some big negative. Some of the best sci-fi movies IRL are not that complicated or stylized in terms of identity. They just are what they are.

• Like 3