SLAM!

Slam! Movie Reviews [Y7 Edition]

MY FIVE FAVORITE HEROES OF THE YEAR

(in no particular order)

Advanced issue found

👔

Spoiler

William Kidd, The Ends of the Universe

I really believe he's a great role model for kids. He's one of the most loveable Robin Hood types I've come across. He cares a lot about a civilization he discovers.

Advanced issue found

🤝

Spoiler

Tamara, The Scavenger Wars: Part III

Letitia Wright's most iconic character in Cayom is a great hero. She's a princess-turned-queen who isn't afraid to launch herself into the action when she needs to. I love rooting for her.

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

Ashley, Toons v Reality

There's nothing like a good lawyer. Ashley cares for her cartoony clients to the utmost degree. I love how dedicated she is to her passion.

Advanced issue found

🤝

Spoiler

Hank Palace, Countdown City

The way Hank dedicates himself to justice and order, even when he doesn't have to, is inspiring for audiences. He's a great character and a great hero. I can't wait to see how his story ends.

Advanced issue found

😐
Spoiler

Haliar, Starlight

There's subtle hints of a character arc with Haliar. He starts out as somewhat unlikeable, but when the trouble shows itself, he rushes in to help his brother and defeat the villainous squadron. Ryan Potter voices him very effectively.

• Like 7

Advanced issue found

⚖

Spoiler

In the Doghouse

This is an excellent debut for Phoenix Fire Entertainment. The ensemble puts in the work, and David Fincher elevates the material as high as it can possibly go.

Advanced issue found

⭐

Spoiler

Higher Ground

I view this film as a personal exercise in tying characters to themes and giving them similarities as well as differences. I'm happy with the dynamic I made between Brenda and Tammy. It's a messy film, though.

Advanced issues found

🙅

Spoiler

Attack on Titan

This is a great start for the franchise. I think it'll only get better from here, kind of like Odyssey reached its heights after the first film.

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

Roman Fever

A delightful little film. I do wish it was a touch more dynamic, but I love the delectable script and the memorable score by Lesley Barber.

Advanced issue found

😐

Spoiler

Pillars of Eternity: An Ancient Legacy

This film ties the trilogy up beautifully. There's a deft handling of the narrative threads. I hope Miguel Sapochnik finds himself in the running for Best Director.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MY FIVE FAVORITE VILLAINS OF THE YEAR

(in no particular order)

Advanced issue found

😐

Spoiler

Grandmaster Thaos ix Arkannon, Pillars of Eternity: An Ancient Legacy

Messing with people's souls is a good way to ensure I don't view you kindly.

Advanced issue found

😖

Spoiler

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, Columbine

These to perpetrators are very easy to hate. The film does a great job of making the audience disagree with their actions. Many lives were taken too soon because of these individuals. Out of all the villains on this list, these two were the most evil--and the film doesn't shy away from that.

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

Lucy Wolfhard, In the Doghouse

This woman is a monster. The film makes it really hard to have any sympathy for her.

Advanced issues found

🤝

Spoiler

Atrocitus, Green Lantern Corps: Home

This villain's tenacious pursuit of justice is understandable, but despicable all the same. The film designs itself around this villain to say what it needs to say: the criminal justice system needs to be more merciful. Very effective villain.

Advanced issue found

😐

Spoiler

Molgren, Hilda and the Midnight Giant

This absolute nuisance of a duly elected leader opposes the protagonist at every turn, even going as far as to endanger her life. It speaks wonders about the heart of the protagonist that she even had the grace and mercy to make the offer she does in the climax.

• Like 4

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

Looping

A beautiful dramedy about two individuals stuck in the same time loop. Jackman and Martin are treasures.

Advanced issue found

🙁

Spoiler

Fatal Attraction

A delectable thriller. Gender-bending it proves to be a genius idea. Gyllenhaal, McAvoy, and Scott all need to be in the running.

Advanced issue found

✌

Spoiler

Banjo-Kazooie

I'm somewhat happy with how it turned out. I think the central dynamic between Banjo and Kazooie is palpable.

Advanced issue found

✌

Spoiler

Hilda and the Midnight Giant

This film is an absolute delight. It makes viewers feel all the warmth--all of it. Great voice performances and great animation.

Advanced issues found

🙌
Spoiler

Columbine

I think Cannastop Productions should provide some more description to the stories from now on, but I really enjoyed Columbine. The film in my head was great, at least. Cannastop might've picked a bad person to pre-read the film (a la me), but I really appreciated the film as a portrait of the event. I'm stopping just shy of putting it in the top ten, though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

FIVE NOTABLE TRENDS OF Y7

(in no particular order)

Advanced issue found

😐

Spoiler

1) Visual/Audible Aids

I really liked this trend. More than ever before, there's pictures and gifs accompanying some of the bigger films of the year. I like that, actually. Dear Evan Hansen also deserves credit for doing the same thing with the songs from the musical.

Advanced issue found

🙁

Spoiler

2) Abrupt Endings (VAGUE SPOILERS)

This year's film had a lot of abrupt endings. In the Doghouse, Tower of Babylon, Megalo Box, Tongues, Columbine all ended their films abruptly, and to varying degrees of success. I might've missed a few films that did the same.

Advanced issues found

🙌
Spoiler

3) Expansions in Diversity

Cayom has generally been great with offering big roles to women and minorities. But I think Y7 has seen the studios take greater strides. There's a lot more middle eastern and Indian representation. There's a lot more representation for black, Hispanic, and Asian performers, too. Especially Hispanic, thanks to the welcome addition of telenovas as a place to find source material.

Advanced issues found

😐

Spoiler

4) Diversity of Source Material

More about that diversity of source material. Y7 has great films coming from just about everywhere--graphic novels, video games, anime, short stories, telenovas, and even films from the distant past. The only downside is that original films were given the shaft.

Advanced issue found

😐
Spoiler

5) Lesser-Known Directors Shining with Great Films

There's too many films to count that were deftly handled by TV directors and up-and-coming directors as opposed to directors who are much more "proven." The Best Director race will be very interesting to watch.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Advanced issues found

✌

Spoiler

Yang

I'm really happy with how my sequel turned out. I decided to have a little more fun than I was having with Yin. I think Yang manages to stand out as a fun rollercoaster ride. This is probably my final film in this "franchise," if you could call it that.

Advanced issues found

✌

Spoiler

The First Month

Alex Garland is a director that I really think should be in the running for Best Director. This is a brilliant thriller that managed to scare me a little. Ryan Gosling is great, too.

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

Toons v Reality

A nice, chill animated film. Olivia Cooke and John Mulaney are both excellent.

Advanced issue found

✌

Spoiler

Countdown City

This series continues to nail its tone. I think this film is a step up from its predecessor in a variety of ways. Mimi Leder was a great choice of director for this.

Advanced issue found

👔

Spoiler

Birdwing

My favorite animated film of the year. Evocative and relatable. I try to avoid having more than one film per studio in my final five, but this might've gotten in otherwise.

• Like 8

ASSORTED QUOTES FROM MY FINAL FIVE

(in alphabetical order by title)

(Credit to @cookie for utilizing this idea in Y5.)

Advanced issues found

👔

Advanced issues found

🤓

Advanced issues found

🤓

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

"But see, the thing is, when I looked up… Connor was there. That’s the gift he gave me. To show me that I wasn’t alone. To show me that I matter. That everybody does. That’s the gift that he gave all of us. I just wish… I wish we could’ve given that to him." - Evan Hansen, Dear Evan Hansen.

Atrocitus ends the speech by asking anyone tired of these injustices, can join him and his Red Lantern Corps, and they’ll unleash waves of revenge against the scum of the earth and show what true justice looks like, working their way to disestablish Korugar from the smallest to strongest piece. - Atrocitus, Green Lantern Corps: Home

"Let me tell you something. Winning all your matches isn’t gonna be enough to get in Megalonia. You need some sort of quality to make people notice you. You fight without your gear, you get the attention you need. They’ll see you as an underdog, they’ll see you as a bold fighter. Without your gear, you have a statement on your gloves. Now get back up and deliver that statement in the ring! And no tears, kid, save your body fluids for the sweat!" - Coach Ned, Megalo Box

"Death may one day carry a familiar face. But it won't be mine." - Tamara, The Scavenger Wars: Part III

"How can one assume desire for heaven without ever having seen earth." - Hillalum, Tower of Babylon

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

Green Lantern Corps: Home

Everything that audiences need from a blockbuster is found within this film.

Advanced issue found

🙂

Spoiler

Megalo Box

I'm really proud of how this film turned out. I think it has a fantastic energy to it. I have to give credit to the source material, too; I made some important changes, but many dialogue exchanges and character interactions are adapted directly from there. 

Advanced issue found

😐

Spoiler

Dear Evan Hansen

I was stumped as to which of Blank's films I'd place in my Top Five. Birdwing evoked a lot of feelings in me, but I went with Dear Evan Hansen. It made me cry, and it might've changed me for the better. I'm a sucker for a great musical, as well.

#2 and #1

Advanced issues found

😍
Spoiler

Tower of Babylon

My imagination flourished when I read this film. I know it's esoteric. I know it's allegorical. I know it's hard to understand. But as an art piece, it's a fantastic display of craftsmanship. Denis Villeneuve better be in the running for Best Director.

The Scavenger Wars: Part III

I ended up going with Scavenger Wars: Part III as my #1 film because it's the most fully-formed film of the year. The narrative threads are deftly woven together, and the audience cares about all of the characters a great deal. Great visuals, great management of stakes, and great world-building. This film provides an earnest glimpse of the highest highs Cayom films can possibly reach.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

THE FULL LIST FOR NAVIGATION PURPOSES

Spoiler

Advanced issue found

🤓

Spoiler

1. The Scavenger Wars: Part III

2. Tower of Babylon

3. Dear Evan Hansen

4. Megalo Box

5. Green Lantern Corps: Home

6. Birdwing

7. Countdown City

8. Toons v Reality

9. The First Month

10. Yang

11. Columbine

12. Hilda and the Midnight Giant

13. Banjo-Kazooie

14. Fatal Attraction

15. Looping

16. Pillars of Eternity: An Ancient Legacy

17. Roman Fever

18. Attack on Titan

19. Higher Ground

20. In the Doghouse

21. Ms. Blakk 4 President

22. Tongues

23. The Ends of the Universe

24. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

25. Scooby-Doo: Cult of the Creeper

The "Notable Trend" I Forgot About

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

Believable Stakes

This year, it was hard to come across a film that didn't have believable stakes. The majority of space operas confined their stories to a single planet (basically), and there were many other types of films that had believable stakes. I hope this trend continues.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 4

@Alpha @Blankments @cannastop @cookie @Ethan Hunt @4815162342 @lamamama @MCKillswitch123 @Reddroast @Rorschach @Spaghetti @YourMother the Edgelord

I wanted to take a moment to thank you guys for a great year of Cayom films. The reason I give so many films positive scores is because I truly enjoy all of the things you're writing. I'm looking forward to your reviews, and I'm looking forward to whatever the future has to offer!

• Like 6

*Pre-Read Offers*

@Blankments @cookie @Ethan Hunt @YourMother the Edgelord

As writers of films that made it into my top five, I've decided to offer you pre-reads of my films. Of course, everyone can ask to pre-read a film of mine, but there's two advantages that I'm giving the four of you:

1) First Dibs

You guys will be able to choose a pre-read before everyone else. Granted, not only you but everyone can ask to pre-read the same film. So two or more you could pre-read the same film if you wanted to. But you guys are the first ones who can ask for a pre-read. This will help me sculpt my eventual output for Y8.

2) Negotiation

I've updated my Studio Plans post to show which films are certainly aiming for Y8 and which films might not be aiming for Y8. If you want, you can bypass my pre-read offers and browse through my "on-the-docket" section. There, you can message me about a film you're interested in and try to convince me to make it a Y8 film. This would be an alternative to pre-reading a film that's in my official Y8 list, and only the Top Five placing writers can try to negotiate. I can't outright promise the project you choose to negotiate, but I'll at least consider it.

Okay. So here are the projects I'm heavily considering for Y8; these are the projects you're encouraged to pick from.

Animal Crossing

This will be a 3D animated film. I'm not sure who the director is yet.

The Catcher in the Rye

Alexander Payne directs an adaptation of The Catcher in the Rye. It'll be faithful to the source material.

Christie Montiero

Based on the story of a character in the Tekken fighting game franchise, Christie Montiero is about a Brazilian capoeira fighter who wants to find her brother. Melina Matzoukas is in talks to direct. I'm torn between Letitia Wright and Nathalie Emmanuel to play the lead. (This is what the "untitled martial arts film" was.)

A Hop, a Skip, and a Jump

Somewhat inspired by A Silent Voice, this CG animated film depicts the emotional turmoil felt by the rabbit after losing the race to the turtle. Ryan Potter voices the rabbit, and Kodi-Smit McPhee voices the turtle.

Fullmetal Alchemist

Available for pre-reading thanks to permission I've received from my collaboration partner @Reddroast, the first of three or four films will be a somewhat faithful adaptation of the prolific anime/manga series.

Untitled Original Live-Action Film

I want to write a live-action original film. I have no idea what it'll be, though. I have a few ideas in my head. If you pick this, it'll be something I don't have listed in my studio plans post. So if you want to dive into a mystery, you can do so by choosing to pre-read this.

Thank you guys in advance. I really hope I can fulfill my pre-read promises this time. I sort of bungled it last time...

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1