Eric Atreides

The Whitney Houston Movie: I Wanna Dance With Somebody | Tristar | December 23, 2022 | Kasi Lemmons directs

3 hours ago, wboxoffice said:

Does anyone know what they mean by the part that I highlighted in red (from Deadline)?

I Wanna Dance With Somebody from Tri-Star/Compelling Pictures/Black Label is looking at $2.2M today (including last night’s previews), $6.3M for the weekend and $9M over 4 days at 3,625 theaters. Sony is getting a distribution free for handling with financiers recouping the P&A spend. Rotten Tomatoes critics don’t like it at 46%, but audiences love it at 94%.

A sub $1.5m true Friday if that holds. I’m shocked. 

Thought high teens, then mid teens, would’ve been shocked at 10-12 and now it’s doing 6. Can’t believe it. 

Edited by Krissykins

Updated box office:

Domestic Box Office    $16,020,000 (incl. Monday)   
International Box Office    $13,100,000    
Worldwide Box Office    $29,120,000

Still not released in Mexico, Brazil, other Latin America countries, etc.  I have a feeling that it will end up with a good total thanks to the international numbers... In the UK it's doing amazing...

This lands in an interesting zone of probably being too surface for the people who wanted something grittier than the typical musician biopic, yet not sanitized enough for fans who prefer to focus on Whitney's glory days. The acting was strong; the screenplay and cinematography... Lots of tight shots.

Naomi Ackie got Whitney's speaking voice, attitude, and sold the lip syncing (not all actors do).  Still, as I watched, I kept thinking it was too bad Brandy wouldn't be the subject of an Oscar bait biopic because that's the singer Naomi resembles.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wboxoffice said:

Updated Box Office: 

Domestic Box Office     $19,700,000
International Box Office     $21,800,000
Worldwide Box Office     $41,500,000   

Another great international update!

Mexico, Brazil, Thailand and Argentina still to come. The Mexico date has been changed to just “2023” on IMDb, but I don’t think that’s always accurate. Maybe $60-65m total? 

Sony have the Netflix deal in America at least, so maybe it’ll find its audience eventually there instead. Bullet Train appears to be doing well for them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wboxoffice said:

Yes, you will enjoy it!  

Update.

It was ok. More like a documentary than a movie. Maybe it's because I haven't seen biopics all that often but the drama felt a tad shallow and it could've been 20ish minutes shorter.

I did like a lot of the cinematography. Especially during the performance scenes where I think they used anamorphic lenses and the bokeh was less pronounced as to make the crowds appear larger. The lenses also distorted the edges of the frame in some cases to contrast with her being high.

My other family members I went with liked it though surprisingly.

Overall I feel like the filmmakers were really just going through the motions with this film but idk. And I went on discount Tuesday so I can't complain. I just think it wasn't for me, but I can see a fan of Whitney Houston liking this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Update.

It was ok. More like a documentary than a movie. Maybe it's because I haven't seen biopics all that often but the drama felt a tad shallow and it could've been 20ish minutes shorter.

I did like a lot of the cinematography. Especially during the performance scenes where I think they used anamorphic lenses and the bokeh was less pronounced as to make the crowds appear larger. The lenses also distorted the edges of the frame in some cases to contrast with her being high.

My other family members I went with liked it though surprisingly.

Overall I feel like the filmmakers were really just going through the motions with this film but idk. And I went on discount Tuesday so I can't complain. I just think it wasn't for me, but I can see a fan of Whitney Houston liking this.

I felt that they wanted to focus mostly on her music, career and the performances which took away time from the scenes with the drama.  In my opinion it’s about time because all the other documentaries and movies focused mostly on her problems and private life with barely any music.

• Like 1

Updated box office:

Domestic Box Office     $21,903,718     
International Box Office     $27,100,000     
Worldwide Box Office     $49,003,718

In the last week it added about 2.2 million domestic and 5.3 million international for a total of 7.5 million worldwide.

It's still doing well internationally and some countries like Mexico, Argentina, South Korea, etc. are still to come.

• Like 1

Updated box office:

Domestic Box Office     $23,004,389
International Box Office     $30,700,000
Worldwide Box Office     $53,704,389

In the last week it did about 1.1 million domestic and 3.6 million internationally for a total of 4.7 million.

Next weekend it will be released in Mexico and Thailand.

• Like 1

Updated box office:

Domestic Box Office     $23,434,606     
International Box Office     $33,000,000     
Worldwide Box Office     $56,434,606     

In the last week it added around 430k domestically and 2.3 million internationally for a total of 2.73 million worldwide.

• Like 1

Thank you infinitely to the-numbers.com as they have been able to update the international numbers in the past 2 weeks while boxofficemojo haven't done it and it's still stuck at 33 million...

Domestic Box Office     $23,609,043
International Box Office     $35,200,000
Worldwide Box Office     $58,809,043

• Like 1