Ryan Reynolds

Don't Worry Darling | Sep 23 2022 | We’re Just Here For The Mess

This looks like the type of movie I usually enjoy and Florence is a very good actress, so it's always interesting to watch her on film. 

Lately though she seems to be getting so many roles where she is supposed to be a "perfect" beauty (Little Women, Dune, this one) and I'm not sure she is exactly a classical beauty like Charlize Theron or Michelle Pfeiffer, so I can't always buy her in these type of characters.

The Stepford Wives angle cerainly worked with the young Nicole Kidman and is fitting in this one with Gemma Chan and Olivia Wilde, but Pugh seems quite out of place look-wise in some scenes, like in the dancing reharsals...hopefully that's compeletely intentional and will work pretty well, highlighting her a as a fish out of water-type rather than a Dolores form Westworld- kind of character (as in, completely in her element when seen from the outside, but ultimately fighting an internal battle).

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I *want* to be skeptical of the Florence/Olivia feud speculation, but...Flo is really not helping the case here. There was an email option to participate in this profile, yet she was too busy even for that. In her recent Harper's Bazaar profile, Florence decried the focus on the sex scenes for DWD once the trailer dropped, while Olivia can't say enough about them. And the business with Pugh sharing Oppenheimer promo materials on her social accounts, but not for the movie that comes out this fall, where she's a lead...it's a bit sketchy.

Obviously, I don't believe the most ridiculous "Florence ghost directed the movie!" stories from Deuxmoi, but...hmmm.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

26 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Jeez, Twitter really hates Olivia Wilde. It’s like they’re always looking for a new woman to hate. 

It's the craziest portion of the Harry Styles fans who don't like that he's dating Olivia, so suddenly they care about every "problematic" thing she said in interviews ten years ago. If not for that, there wouldn't be a tenth of the Twitter vitriol. They're like that toward any woman Harry is linked to, until the breakup, then suddenly they stop trying to "cancel" the poor lady. The whole "Larry" phenomenon is the QAnon of celebrity ships, it's that level of widespread conspiratorial lunacy. Olivia must really think Harry is worth it, because that part of his fanbase would have me running for the hills. They brag about being rude to her at his concerts! He and Olivia are being really restrained and polite about how terrible those "fans" are.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It's the craziest portion of the Harry Styles fans who don't like that he's dating Olivia, so suddenly they care about every "problematic" thing she said in interviews ten years ago. If not for that, there wouldn't be a tenth of the Twitter vitriol. They're like that toward any woman Harry is linked to, until the breakup, then suddenly they stop trying to "cancel" the poor lady. The whole "Larry" phenomenon is the QAnon of celebrity ships, it's that level of widespread conspiratorial lunacy.

I just find it baffling how all these supposed feminists on Twitter and TikTok always seem so eager to relentlessly attack women for any supposed discretion, while giving a pass to male celebrities with much sketchier histories. 

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I just find it baffling how all these supposed feminists on Twitter and TikTok always seem so eager to relentlessly attack women for any supposed discretion, while giving a pass to male celebrities with much sketchier histories. 

For some, "holding people accountable" online is really just a socially acceptable form of bullying. It can't be that you just don't like [insert person/thing] because they get on your nerves or you're jealous, etc. now people invent a self-righteous soapbox to support their visceral feelings and call it "activsm". In olden times, at least you had to show up in person to stone someone.

I am skeptical about DWD (the trailer doesn't give me hope the new script is that much different from the old one), but still hope it's a success, if only to irritate the anti-Olivia contingent.

• Like 3