Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: Year VII - The Reviews Awaken

2 minutes ago, cookie said:
Spoiler

Hide contents

I mean the dog was the one helping her escape 🤷‍♂️

Spoiler

I can't believe the dog likes her more! -Henry (tbh that was a joke comment from his perspective)

Edited by Spaghetti

2 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:
  Hide contents

Enyo and Jarek are lowkey a sitcom couple and I love that

More like Jarek is the lazy horny good-for-nothing layabout son who lives in Enyo's basement

Edited by 4815162342
  • Haha 3

Spoiler

More troops were arriving from either end, and Lucina had only one way out. She tackled one of the troops evading the chandelier collapse and sent them both CRASHING out of a nearby window, plunging several stories and using his body as a cushion for her fall.

KILLER. QUEEN.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Spoiler

Henry: I told you like three times already, I’M HENRY!

It finally dawned on Lucina. She groaned.

Lucina: Oh, fuck, not you.

Henry: (grumbling) “Thanks for saving my life, Henry. I really appreciate it!”

ngl I laughed out loud.

• Haha 1

Spoiler

Tamara: “How Deep is Your Love”, nineteen-ninety-seven, Saturday Night Fever.

Lucina: Shit, that’s like… three hundred years old.

Tamara: It’s a thing Joel and I used to have. I stopped humming it for a while after he… you know…

Lucina: Ever tried introducing it to Luna?

Tamara: Never felt right. In hindsight, it was probably for the better. She was more into Crowded House, anyway.

Oh psssh, you're too cute, @cookie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

THE SCAVENGER WARS: PART III

(Spoilers Below)

Spoiler

Note first off that I have not read any other reviews before this, as I want to have this be as organic as possible.

Well, that's not quite right. I'm going to mimic something that has been said about this franchise in the brief skims I made over curiosity. This is a story about the pain in our lives, and our worlds, and the desperate struggles that come from trying to salvage anything good, let alone keep things from falling apart further. After the tumultuous events of the second chapter, our heroes, and even villains, have been destroyed on all levels emotional and physical. With the help of a familiar ally, and the realization of a danger far worse than anything that has been encountered, a truce is formed and a long road begins to make as many things right as possible.

One had failed the person she cares about most, one has disappeared before death's door with no seeming way back to the life she had, one lost a connection to her sister (who herself had become consumed by a deeply malevolent force), while the other suffered a heartbreaking betrayal. These four souls eventually converge with some unexpected allies to make things right and fight for whatever hope is left. As a whole, the trilogy has grown from political, larger scale thematics to more deeply personal intimacies. Pain, hurt, and trauma are insecapable feats in all of our lives, but to chase a fantasy where they do not exist is to form an inauthentic, fake, and dangerous reality. All we can do is grow within ourselves and support each other in this journey.

What this leaves us with is a deeply existential, cosmic, and vast epic among the stars, where every character feels like a fleshed out, painfully real individual, while the threats they face create immeasurable risk to our galaxy. Not all of it moves perfectly, as a lot of the stuff with DebickTree ends up kinda making Ares seem a bit flatter than I was hoping for, and I wasn't expecting her to be dispatched after just being introduced in the last film. (I'm....not one to talk, though.) On top of that, there are some mildly cheesy moments which kinda contradict the darker tone, but I have to say...

...these are just small things holding back what would otherwise be a pitch perfect movie. No story is perfect, but between the mesmerizing setpieces, stories of personal growth and redemption, and truly awe inspiring finale, I was left utterly blown away. Every bit of the final hour minutes, from Tamara's realization of her reality and desires at a phony beach, to Sunn's jaw dropping manner of dispatching Zedium, to Jarek's iconically dickish moment to Lucina (I did find it mildly cheap that she DID actually survive, tbh, but I'm glad she's okay!) it is seriously some of the best and most incredibly rewarding writing I've ever seen in any iteration of CAYOM. I was utterly mesmerized and moved in the best way possible, nearly to tears.

The visuals here are utterly mindboggling. Even beyond Sunn's mindscape battles with the animal amalgamation that came from Cookie's wicked imagination, every shot emulates an epic, gorgeous style that seems so absent in modern film-making, and every performance is utterly masterful. I can't even pick an MPV because of how uniformly brilliant everyone is.

And it all brings me back to how in awe I am of @cookie as a writer. I like to think we started the space opera craze in Y1 together, but I gotta say that THE SCAVENGER WARS is, in my opinion, one of the crowning jewel of CAYOM 3.0, and this film cements it. You've done so much here that I've tried to do in films past (to mixed results) and make it look utterly easy.

There's so much richness and thematic depth in here, from the ultimate cowardice and pathetic, sheepish nature of naturalist movements to a desire for escapism from the pain of the world and yourself, but for now, I just have to pick up the pieces in my mind and leave you with a score.

9.8/10

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1