Crunching the Numbers: Lucky Number Slevin Yet Again: Countdown City

No requests. Instead I will be doing two things. First, all sequels will be reviewed. I am defining sequel as a direct sequel that picks up with characters and story from the prior film. Existing in the same universe is not enough.

After that, I will review a random movie from each month. The movie could be a filler, it could be Oscarbait, the RNG will decide.

So, first on the docket for this review thread will be:

Conventionally Wiser

Father II: The Resurrection

Sir Thymes Time 2

The Scavenger Wars III

Should You Imagine

Hoops 3

Scooby-Doo: Cult of the Creeper

Dawn of the Last Six

Green Lantern Corps: Home

Making Waves 2

Once the release schedule is fully updated, I will make my random monthly picks.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

The Random Drawings for each month are:

January- Father Knows Worst

February- Love After Loving

March- Higher Ground

April- Hilda and the Midnight Giant

May- Cruis'n USA

June- Hearts of Fire

July- Attack on Titan

August- Loving a Shadow

September- Laika

October- Adult Swim Bomb Scare Non-Fiction Documentary for Theaters 

November- Red Flavour

December- The Disappointment

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 5
  • Sad 2

The full schedule for reading/reviews

Tuesday

Conventionally Wiser

Father II: The Resurrection

Sir Thymes Time 2

Wednesday

The Scavenger Wars III

Should You Imagine

Hoops 3

Thursday

Dawn of the Last Six

Making Waves 2

Friday

Father Knows Worst

Love After Loving

Higher Ground

Hilda and the Midnight Giant

Saturday

Cruis'n USA

Hearts of Fire

Attack on Titan

Sunday

Loving a Shadow

Laika

Adult Swim Bomb Scare Non-Fiction Documentary for Theaters 

Red Flavour

The Disappointment

After that I go dark, read everything else, and do a Top 25.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

Conventionally Wiser

Mc8d.gif

The setup is all there for some real crazy silly shenanigans and hamfisted metacommentary, but the film really doesn't embrace the nonsense until the final chase scene where we get a sudden escalation in firepower, and then it's over pretty quickly. Compared to the Infinite Hallway, it feels subdued. Disappointing that most of the stuff is as rote and perfunctory as it is.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

Father II - The Resurrection

Mother Teresa (at this point played by Ellen Burstyn) confronts Zuhj/O’Reilly. The two brawl in their astral forms 

I mean let's be honest, ancient Ellen Burstyn as Ghost Mother Teresa getting into a spirit wrestling match with a skeleton dog demon is worth the price of admission. The movie is a total schlockfest with a lot of gore and unintentional camp, but has an engaging enough throughline that is ultimately undermined by a last-minute ending twist that has no basis in the plot that came before it except to serve as a gotcha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

Sir Thyme's Time 2

tumblr_nvcy3f8EQz1qaedvuo2_r1_250.gif

We return to the world of anthropomorphic music as the inhabitants of Fonzie's Jukebox adjust to the new status quo of digital soundclouds. The drama is a bit forced to instigate the conflict but it'd serviceable enough for a kid's film, as Sir Thymes is exiled from the Cloud and sent on a fetch quest to bring back three more songs to empower Skeletor to finally take down He-Man- wait no that's wrong, this just shares He-Man's fetish for Skeletor fetch quests. Anyways, Sir Thymes journeys through the realm of the Internet to locate the desired songs and bring them home. I feel like the film really could have had fun exploring the total insanity that is the online music community, but sadly it's a couple hop skips and a jump before we're back to Grumpy Not a Cowboy This Time Jeff Bridges being an intransigent git. The other jukebox songs get astonishingly little to do in the film and mainly exist as effectively backup singers to Sir Thymes' verses.

So while it repeats much of what Sir Thymes the First got right, there isn't much growth beyond the formula and in the end the film, both narratively and creatively, basically ends up right back where it started, not taking the chance to grow and explore the new avenues to their potential. I hate to re-use a prior gif but...

Mc8d.gif&key=98427a549dd933c1e3a9929df44

• Like 3

In A.D. 2101.....

War was beginning.....

THE SCAVENGER WARS 

PART THREE

CHAPTER 12

VERSE 45

Spoiler

The Scavenger Wars has emerged as the second main pillar of the CAYOM Space Opera Sector. And now that Spark has went to its well deserved rest, and Voltron has quit the team, it stands above all, with nothing else having come close to its dominance. Cookie Pictures has a grand plan for the saga, and the third film picks up not much father than where the second left off, with the humans in disarray, Khouga overtaken by xenophobic loons, and most of our main characters broken physically and mentally to varying degrees. And with the greater powers of Ares and the Demon Tree looming in the ether, it falls to Part 3 to resolve the Khouga Trilogy and set the stage for events of galactic consequence. And with that in mind, let us turn to the film itself to see how it does.

The big takeaway for much of the movie is that everyone in it is damaged, and that damage, and the personal, character flaws it exposes, leads them to all sorts of trouble and danger. If Part 2 ultimately centered around the festering of old wounds and the resentment they bring, then Part 3 revolves around how our cast, and their worlds, react to the trauma caused by those wounds being reopened. For a lot of them, it is not well at all. Tamara is full of self-doubt. Sal is full of self-pity. Lucina is full of self-hate, and hate towards others, and alcohol. Jarek is full of paranoia and self-delusion. Ares is full of scared posturing. Luna is full of...well something. And so on. In many ways, the characters at times find themselves to be their own worst enemies, and the film dives deeply into that well as they scramble to find new footing, to reassert themselves, and almost to a character, just make everything worse. Probably none so more than Jarek, whose desire to prove he was better for Khouga than Tamara, that his way is the right way, to protect his pride from the onslaught of Ares, leads him to bring hell into our world.

74fca1d7f9f835f5da3c738b460e7ecfe89ed4ef

Some totally not iconic villain from some random insignificant franchise that does not exist ruminating on how everyone ends up their own worst enemy.

Of course the film is not all about all the old pals and foes from before getting their butts handed to them by their collective mental woes, it also features a sharp and fun performance from Hannah John-Kamen as Enyo as a brutally honest no-nonsense #2 who really, really calls them as she sees them and has no tolerance for psycho-astral-sexual tomfoolery from Jarek and his pet/actual controller.

becb8d2a50d205c6db3dfedc292e2dd1.gif

Enyo internally "eagerly" waiting for the next bullshit Jarek gets mind-controlled into.

Seriously, almost everyone else is all doom and gloom and screwed up six ways to Sunday and Enyo strides into every single scene not having any of the nonsense that is going on before her and tearing the scenery off the walls as she does. It's a vibrant energy the film really needs where almost everyone else is dour and/or sad and/or grim. Though to be fair, Taissa Farmiga gets more to do this time around and have some fun as a demonic femme fatale, though I sometimes did not buy into the range.

But internal demons don't mean the characters still can't be compelling, and that's where weary, sad, rageful, anxious, bloodthirsty Lucy comes in. Driven by pure rage and desire, Mary Elizabeth Winstead half roars half sulks across the screen as she deludes herself that a quixotic quest of murder and revenge will make her whole, which leads to some stellar scenes as Lucy travels across the whole spectrum of depression and guilt and unadulterated bloodlust.

source.gif

Guilt-Cina

e00fe9d0e9ed050d89a9ebdf7c354a25097b85e6

Kill-Them-All-Cina

The pacing for the film, like many films that go as big and broad as this, has some fits and starts on occasion. It starts out briskly with the SalCina Winter Brawl and then takes a step back to let the new reality of the situation sink in for the characters. This causes a little lag for Tamara's portion of the story, since she is still getting the lay of the land while everyone else is making plans and taking action. But she eventually does catch up to everyone else. In part this due to Tamara's connection to the astral plane being a way for the film to slowly clue the audience in to the bigger picture with her trips to the beyond. Letitia Wright does pretty well selling her astral lake scenes as much as she can, and the exposition and mythology is dolloped out in small manageable chunks to avoid overloading, unlike at least one other lore heavy film from before.

That said, eventually everyone converges on the capital for the big showdown, and we probably get the longest extended climax since the Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition, taking up almost half the film, as the heroes and villains are all shifting about here and there as new spurts of violence and action and character turns occur with a non-stop attitude, all centered around a handful of key moments, starting with a deluge of character reunions and a throne room showdown.

source.gif

How our heroes envisioned liberating Khouga

source.gif

How it actually turns out for the people of Khouga, only there's no more Khouga.

That said, the film does slow somewhat with the final Astral Showdowns that get layered on top of one another, as the film has to set up a series of confrontation climaxes on top of one another, followed by a chase scene of transdimensional monster tree branches, followed by another faceoff, the film really has a lot going on for the final hour-plus. That said, it was a bit brave of the film to take Lucy's rage monster to the logical point and have screw up and get taken out for a large chunk of the climax because of it. It did help prune some of the potential expansion the climax could have taken until there was more climax than rest of the film.

At the end of it all, the film does resolve the Khougan Trilogy, if not all loose ends with the Khougans themselves, and the theme of this trilogy has clearly been that the inability to let go of the past, and the guilt, depression, anger, resentment, envy those memories bring, if unchecked, will result in collective downfall, as the Khougans ultimately are the architects of their own planet's destruction, and each and every one of our surviving main characters has to face their failures brought on by their own inability, and now forge a new path into an uncertain future.

So what we get is another strong block to place in the Scavenger pillar, and now the stage is set for the greatest mystery that has been on audience's minds since Year 3.

What the hell has T-Bot been up to?

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Should You Imagine?

The highly anticipated sequel to one of the most surprising box office breakouts of 3.0 has a large hill of expectations to climb, and while in some ways it does find its way to the top, in others it can't quite get there. Where the film is in its comfort zone and most effortless is when it dazzles with animation styles, colors, and nifty setpieces to stretch the bounds of what an imaginary world would be like. It's a vibrant, engaging, atmospheric realm that doesn't skimp on having fun and ingenuity with its surroundings. The other strong point of the film is the Anderson family, which continues its growing pains and struggles as they deal with crises of confidence and external pressures, be it struggling with college to struggling with a sick loved one. While some of the confrontations between the four main characters get a little forced to instigate drama, the emotional connections and resolutions are quite heartfelt.

Where the film doesn't quite gel completely are its antagonists. At different points in the film their inclusion feels arbitrary and hamfisted. McKinnon and Mantzoukas give good vocal performances, but there are points in the film where it feels that Turquoise or Smarmy are present simply because the filmmakers felt obligated to have them there to cause conflict. Given the title of the film being "Should You Imagine?" I had thought the antagonistic forces of the film would all be about creations of the Andersons' own making, calling into question how far should one go in letting themselves be taken away from practicality or down-to-earth reason. And while Smarmy fits the bill, reflecting Ethan's ego and desire to see himself as more confident, more popular, more everything, Turquoise's inclusion feels less thematically linked to the film.

In the end though, Should You Imagine? is an entertaining and engaging journey that hits the notes it most needs to and pulls the heartstrings when it has to. Even if for some it does not match the exhilarating newness of the original, it still possesses more than enough merit and ability to stand on its own two feet.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Should You Imagine?

The highly anticipated sequel to one of the most surprising box office breakouts of 3.0 has a large hill of expectations to climb, and while in some ways it does find its way to the top, in others it can't quite get there. Where the film is in its comfort zone and most effortless is when it dazzles with animation styles, colors, and nifty setpieces to stretch the bounds of what an imaginary world would be like. It's a vibrant, engaging, atmospheric realm that doesn't skimp on having fun and ingenuity with its surroundings. The other strong point of the film is the Anderson family, which continues its growing pains and struggles as they deal with crises of confidence and external pressures, be it struggling with college to struggling with a sick loved one. While some of the confrontations between the four main characters get a little forced to instigate drama, the emotional connections and resolutions are quite heartfelt.

Where the film doesn't quite gel completely are its antagonists. At different points in the film their inclusion feels arbitrary and hamfisted. McKinnon and Mantzoukas give good vocal performances, but there are points in the film where it feels that Turquoise or Smarmy are present simply because the filmmakers felt obligated to have them there to cause conflict. Given the title of the film being "Should You Imagine?" I had thought the antagonistic forces of the film would all be about creations of the Andersons' own making, calling into question how far should one go in letting themselves be taken away from practicality or down-to-earth reason. And while Smarmy fits the bill, reflecting Ethan's ego and desire to see himself as more confident, more popular, more everything, Turquoise's inclusion feels less thematically linked to the film.

In the end though, Should You Imagine? is an entertaining and engaging journey that hits the notes it most needs to and pulls the heartstrings when it has to. Even if for some it does not match the exhilarating newness of the original, it still possesses more than enough merit and ability to stand on its own two feet.

This contains spoilers

Spoiler

In a way, which I honestly should have put more effort Turquoise as in a way I wanted her to be as a semi-foil for Tiana. Both are in a way, processing with grief, after losing or in the process of loved ones as Turquoise represents a massive extreme taking denial to new levels, Tiana represents the emotional isolation, and wants help but doesn’t want to ask for it.

I do agree I could have gave Turquoise more which looking back is something obvious. Thanks again for the review though.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

Wow, this was a massive, major, extensive course correction from the first film. Whereas the first film is literally subtitled "Apocalypse", this film is basically a "monster of the week" episode turned into a movie. And you know what, that was 100% the right decision, because a Scooby Doo movie being about world changing stakes was so wrong the way to go, that making the movie about the Mystery Team wandering around the desert and stumbling into a creepy cult town led by a Creeper and taking care of business is downright refreshing. The tone is lighter, the mood more mischievous, and the general feel a lot looser and more fun than the laborious events of the first movie.

That said, the film is actually short on the mystery, since it layers on extremely thick the hints that Carswell the Cult Town is a Bad Town and there is not much mystery that there's gonna be bad stuff there. Furthermore, they don't even get to Carswell until over halfway through the movie and once they get there it's maybe 15-20 minutes top before there's no more "mystery" and it's time to save the day. So while the film features lightning quick pacing, the mystery plot is paper thin and serves more as a vehicle to let the characters bounce off one another. Which hey, is perfectly fine, since the characters are also improved from the first film as well, so getting more of them is a good thing.

My hope is that if there is a third film, that the mystery and puzzle solving gets a boost.

• Like 6

Dawn of the Last Six Jedi: The Rise of Skywalker Awakens

The Last Six was a film that had a nifty premise and spun out a fun, if fairly generic action/adventure beat. The sequel is a lot less generic, and has some fun and depth as it explores the mythology of the realms and the own lore of the franchise to provide new depth to the characters. That said, the film's action sequences are not as impressive, being mostly sparse and light until a very smoky and over-edited finale in London that has some cool tricks with portals and gender-bending but also some CGI slog.

The actual plot is kinda nonsense and Lust as a villain mostly exists to stand all sultry and look hot, which sure she can do, but there is literally nothing else to her as a character. Professor Cartel is pretty much a goober of a character and probably should hang out with the Deacon Creeper of Carswell. And then everything gets resolved quickly at the end with a convenient appearance from the Boss to lock the baddie up.

It is a fun movie, if a bit long-winded, and while we get some good moments with 4 of the 6, Ares and especially Osiris are reduced to minor roles as they are quickly turned into horny slaves. I am curious to see how a third film, if one were to come, brings us closer to this Ragnarok Great Prophecy thing.

• Like 5

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me
I know my way is hard and steep
But beauteous fields arise before me
Where God's redeemed, their vigils keep
I'm going there to see my Mother
She said she'd meet me when I come
So, I'm just going over Jordan
I'm just going over home

The first Green Lantern Corps movie was a chaotic overstuffed CGI mess. The plot kinda wandered around tying itself in convolutions as it lurched from impressive visual spectacle to spectacle. The second outing is much more focused and clear on what it is doing and what it is about for much of the way, and then in the final stretch it gets bogged down a bit as it attempts to tackle two separate big evil plots simultaneously.

There is an elephant in the room, and it involves the film's heavy allegories and analogies for racial justice, which is 100% fine for a film to do. The awkward thing is that all of the light skinned Korugarans are played by white people, and all of the dark skinned Korugarans are played by black people or other minorities, which I get....except Sinestro is also a dark-skinned Korugaran and he is played by a white dude. It just ends up being an awkward fly in the ointment. Putting that aside, the film is definitely not subtle with all of the incidents, from corrupt police to resentment at equal treatment, to deliberately shading efforts made by the other ethnicity, and more. Sometimes it gets a little too hamfisted but it is mostly impactful.

The anchor of the film is Joaquin Phoenix, who really sells the conflict and anguish and troubles of Sinestro as he grapples with the Green Lantern code and its inability to right the wrongs on his homeworld. Armie Hammer kinda fades into the background mostly as the snarky co-pilot on the team, which makes sense since this is Sinestro's story through and through. Haunted by visions and hallucinations of his lost home and family and mentor, and his failures to truly help the people he left behind, Sinestro's homecoming is a slow descent into despair, fear, frustration, and eventually, anger. He may wear a Yellow Ring and Suit at the end, but there's more than a little red in his heart by the end.

As for the villians, they generally do the job they need to. Atrocitous is kinda a one-note baddie. Some nice scenery chewing, but very much a simply heavy bullying his way into things. Rachel Weisz gets more to work with as the Queen of Korugara, schmoozing and scheming as she presents multiple faces over the course of the film, slowly revealing her true self by the end.

So this is a marked improvement over the first film and provides all the action and thrills needed to dominate the holiday season. There's still a bit to go in working out the kinks of balancing the loopy action sequences and visuals with the plot and giving Hal more to do than be the cocky human, but if this franchise stays on this trajectory, it should be in good hands.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me
I know my way is hard and steep
But beauteous fields arise before me
Where God's redeemed, their vigils keep
I'm going there to see my Mother
She said she'd meet me when I come
So, I'm just going over Jordan
I'm just going over home

The first Green Lantern Corps movie was a chaotic overstuffed CGI mess. The plot kinda wandered around tying itself in convolutions as it lurched from impressive visual spectacle to spectacle. The second outing is much more focused and clear on what it is doing and what it is about for much of the way, and then in the final stretch it gets bogged down a bit as it attempts to tackle two separate big evil plots simultaneously.

There is an elephant in the room, and it involves the film's heavy allegories and analogies for racial justice, which is 100% fine for a film to do. The awkward thing is that all of the light skinned Korugarans are played by white people, and all of the dark skinned Korugarans are played by black people or other minorities, which I get....except Sinestro is also a dark-skinned Korugaran and he is played by a white dude. It just ends up being an awkward fly in the ointment. Putting that aside, the film is definitely not subtle with all of the incidents, from corrupt police to resentment at equal treatment, to deliberately shading efforts made by the other ethnicity, and more. Sometimes it gets a little too hamfisted but it is mostly impactful.

The anchor of the film is Joaquin Phoenix, who really sells the conflict and anguish and troubles of Sinestro as he grapples with the Green Lantern code and its inability to right the wrongs on his homeworld. Armie Hammer kinda fades into the background mostly as the snarky co-pilot on the team, which makes sense since this is Sinestro's story through and through. Haunted by visions and hallucinations of his lost home and family and mentor, and his failures to truly help the people he left behind, Sinestro's homecoming is a slow descent into despair, fear, frustration, and eventually, anger. He may wear a Yellow Ring and Suit at the end, but there's more than a little red in his heart by the end.

As for the villians, they generally do the job they need to. Atrocitous is kinda a one-note baddie. Some nice scenery chewing, but very much a simply heavy bullying his way into things. Rachel Weisz gets more to work with as the Queen of Korugara, schmoozing and scheming as she presents multiple faces over the course of the film, slowly revealing her true self by the end.

So this is a marked improvement over the first film and provides all the action and thrills needed to dominate the holiday season. There's still a bit to go in working out the kinks of balancing the loopy action sequences and visuals with the plot and giving Hal more to do than be the cocky human, but if this franchise stays on this trajectory, it should be in good hands.

I have a plan, a much bigger plan for Hal in 3. It was really hard to come up with an arc for him mainly because I wanted to focus on Sinestro’s story. Hal sort of meanders as while he does have the struggles with his own feelings of inner weakness which he masquerades by being cocky and making more impulsive choices but noticeably here he starts to lose his hope and will. 

The Lantern series as a whole is about the relationship between Hal and Sinestro, and that dynamic will be explored more in 3.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Higher Ground is a movie that starts off as one thing, then slowly escalates into another thing, and then another thing, and then finally you are in the middle of something that is not remotely what you thought it would be entering the theater. This is good in that the movie keeps upping the game and messing with audience expectations. But it is also not as good, in that the film kinda burrows so far inside it's own ambition it becomes more interested in one-upping itself with escalating madness than in actually moving forward.

The film starts off with a sudden and freak disaster, with palpable tension and chills and horror, as Brenda's life and the lives of countless others are irrevocably altered in a moment of natural fury. It's a boom of an opener and even if bits of it are handled in a cliche manner, it still is effective. Then the film moves on to the aftermath, and it seems like it'll be a drama about Brenda coping with PTSD and struggling with survivor's guilt, and there's some effective moments such as her pool freakout.

Then the film has her go to Tammy's, and that is where things start to go awry. It is only after Brenda goes to Tammy's that she starts experiencing visions of corpses assaulting her from the water and dragging her under, which is a little strange since you would think it would have also happened when she was at the pool previously. Then we learn that Tammy is a paranoid schizophrenic and sees and hears things, which explains her own behavior, but it does nothing to explain why Brenda suddenly experiences her escalating visions (which go from corpse arms dragging her to being implied sexually assaulted by Austin and seeing her fellow support group members get violently killed on camera) because paranoid schizophrenia is not something you catch and it isn't something that just appears out of the blue when you are an adult.

And of course Brenda's own episodes spur Tammy to become even more loco and decide to just go murder happy thinking that everything ties into her belief that she is being persecuted by ancient Greek mythological figures. I have to admit, Tammy being obsessed with Greek myths and inventing a persecution narrative at the same time as the tsunami being in Greece and Austin being into Greek myth is the film being too cute by half.

Then of course the film tries to get even more clever with the implications that maybe Austin and the other visions are actually really, because the exact same vision of Toga Austin appears to both Tammy and Brenda in the climax of the film, and yet the film then decides nah not really, because it's Tammy who kills herself and Brenda who demonstrates to herself that the corpse arms and the second wave of doom are all in her head.

And then the movie ends and Brenda is all better. Just had to let her psycho aunt kill herself and her mental demons are pretty much all gone. In many ways Brenda kinda becomes a bystander to everything swirling around her and just has to wait it all out. The less said about the brief hints of subplots with her father and Doug that amount to pretty much nothing the better.

So yeah, the film takes a few too many swerves for its own good and ends up just messy rather than the emotional journey it initially framed itself as it was gonna be.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2