Eric Atreides

78th Golden Globe Awards | Nominations tomorrow!

https://deadline.com/2020/04/golden-globes-eligibility-rules-changes-coronavirus-1202892803/

The HFPA has slightly updated its eligibility rules for the upcoming Golden Globes given the current COVID-19 climate. The updated rules below largely stay in effect, with the alternate screening procedure in effect “from March 15 until a date to be determined by HFPA when cinemas in the Los Angeles area have generally reopened.” This is under the official Motion Pictures Screening clause.

HFPA, also made the date adjustment under the Motion Picture Release Format clause as follows:

“In light of the closure of all theatres in the Los Angeles area, this requirement is temporarily suspended as follows:  Motion pictures that had a bona fide theatrical release planned to begin in Los Angeles during the period from March 15 until a date to be determined by HFPA when cinemas in the Los Angeles area have generally reopened, may instead be released first on a television format (e.g. subscription streaming service, subscription cable channel, broadcast television, etc.) and will still be eligible for the Golden Globe motion picture awards.  (Motion pictures also may continue to be released on pay-per-view cable or digital delivery.)  The HFPA’s reminders list committee will consider application of this suspension of the rules on a case-by-case basis when compiling the annual Golden Globe reminders list in the fall.”

• Like 2

The Comedy/Musical genre seems like it's gonna be dominated by straight to VOD titles given how many of those titles are heading that route. West Side Story might be the only proper theatrical release nominated there after In the Heights moved to next year.

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Comedy/Musical genre seems like it's gonna be dominated by straight to VOD titles given how many of those titles are heading that route. West Side Story might be the only proper theatrical release nominated there after In the Heights moved to next year.

the french dispatch (probably)? anderson seems like the type to balk at a straight to VOD release. there's also taika's next goal wins which i guess might be still on for this year.

Edited by CoolioD1

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the french dispatch (probably)? anderson seems like the type to balk at a straight to VOD release. there's also taika's next goal wins which i guess might be still on for this year.

Oh yeah, forgot about The French Dispatch was still set for this year. Will be a contender.

Trying to think of what else would be a contender in that category this year that isn't a 2021 release now like Amsterdam or whatever they end up calling it will be. Looking at streaming movies I doubt they go for the Apatow/Davidson movie (Trainwreck is the only time they went for Apatow). The Jennifer Hudson Aretha Franklin biopic would be a given on paper but biopics about performers have been going to Drama in recent years unless they really lean into the Musical element ala Rocketman. The Prom from Netflix would also sound like a good bet given the talent involved but it was still shooting when everything shut down so who knows if it'll be ready depending on when it finishes. Who knows maybe Bad Boys for Life or Emma. will get in due to lack of competition.

there's also Leos Carax's Annette which is a musical with Adam Driver and Marion Cotillard. might usually be too weird for awards but if there's a lack of options... it's an amazon movie so might skip cinemas and go straight to prime. there's Miranda July's Kajillionaire which got good reviews out of Sundance. There's On the Rocks the Bill Murray/Sofia Coppola A24/Apple movie which might be her going back to the lost in translation well.

• Astonished 1

For the time being, HFPA is temporarily hitting the pause button on that rule that foreign films must be released in their country of origin during the 15-month period from Oct. 1 to Dec. 31 prior to the awards. Instead, foreign language films “that had a bona fide theatrical release planned to begin in their country of origin during the period from March 15 until a date to be determined by HFPA when cinemas in that country have generally reopened, may instead be released in any country in any format (e.g. a motion picture format such as in theatres or on pay-per-view or a television format such as subscription streaming service, subscription cable channel, broadcast television, etc.) and will still be eligible for the Golden Globe foreign-language motion picture awards.”

• Like 1

Sparks’ co-frontman Ron Mael said, “I think maybe the film will be shown at the Venice and Toronto Film Festivals if those are still on in the fall. It’s really special. It’s different than a normal movie musical, as you might expect coming from us. It’s just such a thrill that such big names were impressed enough by it to want to become involved.”

“The project was shot and completed at the end of last year and there is just some small editing tweaks being done, but it’s basically finished,” said Mael. “Adam Driver is just really spectacular in the movie and it’s all singing, all of the dialogue, 95-percent of it is sung in a way, but in a way that’s stylistically true to Sparks’ sensibility, so if you can imagine that, Adam Driver doing Sparks, that’s what we have.”

• Like 1

I alluded to it in the West Side Story thread, but I can't help but wonder if the HFPA will be disgusting and short-sighted enough to nominate Ansel Elgort in Comedy/Musical Actor. I wouldn't put it past them. I think there's a limited amount of actors who will actually run in that category--maybe Joaquin Phoenix for Mike Mills's C'Mon C'Mon, or Bill Murray for On The Rocks, or one of the French Dispatch actors, or Pete Davidson for Staten Island. Okay, so they will have other options, meaning they won't have an excuse. But we'll see. I still wouldn't put it past the HFPA to, as a voting body, have a severe lapse in judgement. We'll see what happens.

Jim Carrey for Sonic the Hedgehog? A man can dream...

11 hours ago, Safeno Rdz said:

Does "The Gentlemen" has any chances in comedy categories or somewhere? It got fine reviews, but I don't see it anywhere being predicted

Pretty much no, even in a year where all the movie categories are gonna look pretty barren.

On 8/10/2020 at 8:43 PM, Safeno Rdz said:

Does "The Gentlemen" has any chances in comedy categories or somewhere? It got fine reviews, but I don't see it anywhere being predicted

I could see it being a consideration for the comedy categories. A few excellent comedy/musical representatives are starting to appear, however, so that definitely dampens chances. It depends on whether the HFPA is able to remember it as a January (2020) release.

Edited by SLAM!

So I put a big speculation post in the Best Picture thread, but since it's about the Golden Globes, it probably belongs in this thread too!

Drama vs. Comedy Speculation

Spoiler
Spoiler

Drama (the easier list to make XD)

Ammonite

Da 5 Bloods

The Father

Good Joe Bell

I Care a Lot

I'm Thinking Of Ending Things (at least nominate Jessie Buckley, please)

Judas and the Black Messiah

Let Him Go

The Life Ahead (not sure if it's foreign)

Mank

News of the World

Nomadland

One Night in Miami

Pieces of a Woman

Sound of Metal

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Those Who Wish Me Dead

The World To Come

[big-budgets like Dune and Tenet]

Comedy/Musical

An American Pickle (Seth Rogen for actor, idk)

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

The Boys in the Band (it'd be a comedy in the same way that Knives Out is a comedy judging from the trailer)

The Climb

Downhill

Emma

Eternal Beauty

Everybody's Talking About Jamie

French Exit [*wikipedia lists this as a surreal comedy*]

The Gentlemen

The Half Of It

Kajillionaire

The King of Staten Island

On The Rocks

Palm Springs (!!)

The Personal History of David Copperfield [Dev Patel is an easy nominee here]

The Prom

Promising Young Woman

Yellow Rose

[Another Round--Mads Mikkelsen for Comedy Actor, because while foreign films aren't in the picture categories, the actors can be nominated, as what happened last year with Antonio Banderas and Awkwafina]

I'm Not Sure Yet (but probably all drama)

Hillbilly Elegy (could be a Green Book)

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (song numbers(?))

Minari 

Respect (song numbers (?))

The United States vs. Billie Holiday (song numbers (?))

My Lead Acting Category Predictions

Spoiler
Spoiler

Lead Actor in a Drama

Most of the 'top dog' candidates happen to be in drama this year. Nothing wrong with that; that's just the way the cookie crumbled. My predictions are:

- Tom Hanks, News of the World

- Anthony Hopkins, The Father

- Delroy Lindo, Da 5 Bloods

- Gary Oldman, Mank

- Mark Wahlberg, Good Joe Bell

Lead Actress in a Drama

Again, the cookie crumbles toward drama more than it does toward comedy/musical. My predictions are:

- Olivia Colman, The Father (whether she's lead or supporting at the Oscars, she'll be lead here)

- Viola Davis, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (if the film's drama, which from the spoilers, the story events should land it in drama)

- Frances McDormand, Nomadland

- Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman

- Kate Winslet, Ammonite

Lead Actor in a Comedy

- Pete Davidson, The King of Staten Island

- Mads Mikkelsen, Another Round

- Bill Murray, On The Rocks (whether he's lead or supporting at the Oscars, he'll be lead here)

- Jim Parsons, The Boys in the Band

- Dev Patel, The Personal History of David Copperfield

Lead Actress in a Comedy

Rashida Jones, On The Rocks

Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman

Michelle Pfeiffer, French Exit

Meryl Streep, The Prom

Evan Rachel Wood, Kajillionaire

Edited by SLAM!