Eric Atreides

78th Golden Globe Awards | Nominations tomorrow!

Lots of Twitter outrage right now about Minari only being eligible for Foreign Language Film and not Best Drama.  The Golden Globes rules don't allow "double dipping"--a movie can only compete in one "Best Picture" sort of category (i.e. a movie can't be in Animated Film and Musical/Comedy, unlike the Oscars, where documentaries/international/animated films can also go for Best Picture). Minari is more than 50 percent not in English, the HFPA's threshold for whether a film is foreign language or not. But of course people don't care about that, they just see a movie happening in the US being viewed as "foreign" when the country doesn't have an official language. So, this ruling is being viewed "America" treating Asian-Americans as the "other", again. Even though the Golden Globes are run by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, so the members aren't even American themselves, and it's not like they see being foreign as a bad thing... 

But I do think, if your movie awards show wants a separate category for movies that (mostly) aren't in English, maybe just call it that. Many countries have multiple languages spoken, so who is to say what is "foreign"? 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not surprised the categories seem to be a mess again this year. Seems like Bakalova is definitely winning Comedy/Musical Actress though. Hope Hamilton (which shouldn't even be eligible) doesn't get shit.

You know the year was shot to shit when they actually considered moving Ma Rainey to Musical/Comedy after forcing A Star Is Born/Bohemian Rhapsody/Judy all into going Drama.

Comedy/Musical Best Picture is likely going to either Hamilton or Borat now since they were probably fully prepared to give it to The Prom until people actually saw the movie (like when The Hangover won due to Nine being a flop). Don't know what the other two nominees will be. Birds of Prey? Emma.? The King of Staten Island? Enola Holmes? Bill & Ted lol?

Promising Young Woman will probably be nominated in Comedy/Musical because if Carey Mulligan's as much of a shoo-in as she is for Comedy/Musical actress, then the film itself should get attention from the HFPA too. I think it'll happen.

I kind of hope Ma Rainey's Black Bottom gets switched to Comedy/Musical even if it isn't fitting (I have not seen the film yet), because that would make a lot of categories stronger and/or more interesting than they would be without it. Drama is always more competitive, and it especially is this year, so having Ma Rainey out of Drama means fringe competitiors who could use a Golden Globes nod for their Oscar chances are given a lot more breathing room to get into the race. Chadwick Boseman from Drama to Musical--more room for Riz Ahmed and Steven Yeun! Viola Davis from Drama to Musical--more room for out-of-left-field choices like Carrie Coon or Jessie Buckley! It'd be very good for causing positive reverberations for a lot of categories.

Edited by SLAM!

7 hours ago, SLAM! said:

Promising Young Woman will probably be nominated in Comedy/Musical because if Carey Mulligan's as much of a shoo-in as she is for Comedy/Musical actress, then the film itself should get attention from the HFPA too. I think it'll happen.

I kind of hope Ma Rainey's Black Bottom gets switched to Comedy/Musical even if it isn't fitting (I have not seen the film yet), because that would make a lot of categories stronger and/or more interesting than they would be without it. Drama is always more competitive, and it especially is this year, so having Ma Rainey out of Drama means fringe competitiors who could use a Golden Globes nod for their Oscar chances are given a lot more breathing room to get into the race. Chadwick Boseman from Drama to Musical--more room for Riz Ahmed and Steven Yeun! Viola Davis from Drama to Musical--more room for out-of-left-field choices like Carrie Coon or Jessie Buckley! It'd be very good for causing positive reverberations for a lot of categories.

HFPA rejected Promising Young Woman's submission to Comedy/Musical. It (and Mulligan) will be competing in Drama.

And Ma Rainey going Comedy/Musical would definitely be wrong, even more so than Get Out going there (guessing the backlash over that decision a couple of years back has contributed to them not really falling for genre category fraud ever since).

• ...wtf 1

Best Film - Drama

Trial of the Chicago 7

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

One Night in Miami

Nomadland

News of the World

Maybe: Judas and the Black Messiah

Best film - Comedy/Musical

Hamilton

The Prom

Emma

Borat 2

Palm Springs

Maybe: Wild Mountain Thyme

Best Director

Chloe Zhao

Paul Greengrass

George C Wolfe

Aaron Sorkin

Spike Lee

Maybe: Shaka King

Best Lead Actor - Drama

Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey's

Delroy Lindo - Da 5 Bloods

Tom Hanks - News of the World

Riz Ahmed - Sound of Metal

Anthony Hopkins - The Father

Maybe: Gary Oldman

Best Lead Actor - Comedy/Musical

Lin Manuel Miranda - Hamilton

Leslie Odom Jr - Hamilton

Sacha Baron Cohen - Borat 2

Andy Samberg - Palm Springs

James Corden - The Prom

Jamie Dornan - Wild Mountain Thyme

Best Lead Actress - Drama

Frances McDormand - Nomadland

Viola Davis - Ma Rainey's

Carrey Mulligan - Promisign Young Woman

Vanessa Kirby - Pieces of a Woman

Sophia Loren - The Life Ahead 

Maybe: Zendaya - Malcolm and Marie

Best Lead Actress - Comedy/Musical

Meryl Streep - The Prom

Meryl Streep - Let Them All Talk

Maria Baklova - Borat 2

Cristin Miloti - Palm Springs

Margot Robbie - Birds of Prey

Maybe: Michelle Pfeiffer - French Exit

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

They must embarrassed of the nominations in that category and are expecting backlash, even more than the infamous 2010 line-up or when Get Out was nominated there. Although I'm not sure how rough it could be when everyone is already expecting The Prom to be nominated when it shouldn't be up for anything (except a Razzie for Corden) and the "Hamilton isn't a movie" debate is irrelevant in a year in which there were hardly any movies.

Pretty sure the most HFPA thing they could do is nominating Hillbilly Elegy in multiple categories despite being a certified turd. Even though the ceremony this year won't be the typical star-studded affair it usually is.

Speaking of which, it's been announced that the ceremony will be taking place in both LA (where Amy will be hosting from) and NYC (where Fey will be) due to travel issues.

Golden Globe Awards Set Bicoastal Show With Tina Fey in New York, Amy Poehler in L.A. | Hollywood Reporter

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They must embarrassed of the nominations in that category and are expecting backlash, even more than the infamous 2010 line-up or when Get Out was nominated there. Although I'm not sure how rough it could be when everyone is already expecting The Prom to be nominated when it shouldn't be up for anything (except a Razzie for Corden) and the "Hamilton isn't a movie" debate is irrelevant in a year in which there were hardly any movies.

Pretty sure the most HFPA thing they could do is nominating Hillbilly Elegy in multiple categories despite being a certified turd. Even though the ceremony this year won't be the typical star-studded affair it usually is.

Speaking of which, it's been announced that the ceremony will be taking place in both LA (where Amy will be hosting from) and NYC (where Fey will be) due to travel issues.

Golden Globe Awards Set Bicoastal Show With Tina Fey in New York, Amy Poehler in L.A. | Hollywood Reporter

I mentioned Wild Mountain Thyme as a maybe (switched it from Emma after realising my mistake) and that certainly seems like the kind of shitty film that they'd nominated. I also think they liked some terrible film directed by Sia so that too.

26 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mentioned Wild Mountain Thyme as a maybe (switched it from Emma after realising my mistake) and that certainly seems like the kind of shitty film that they'd nominated. I also think they liked some terrible film directed by Sia so that too.

Well, they do love Emily Blunt. :lol: Did anyone ever even see Salmon Fishing in the Yemen to confirm it was a real movie?