Eric Atreides

78th Golden Globe Awards | Nominations tomorrow!

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They somehow managed to snub Meryl (that Comedy/Musical Actress line-up is gonna have the average person going "what the fuck are these movies?") while nominating Corden for the same lame Ryan Murphy movie. Disaster.

The fact that The Prom was nominated in a few categories shows just how much of a disaster these awards are.

Jared Leto in Supporting Actor heh.

Can't say it's at all surprise there's more than a couple of WTF nominees here given how desperate the HFPA usually is to nominate big names and rising stars and the pickings were especially slim this year for projects from both groups.  

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Jared Leto taking Paul Raci's spot is just terrible on every level.

Probably the messiest bunch of nominees I've seen from them in a while.

This is the HFPA we're talking about here. Never underestimate their desire to nominate big names (even during a pandemic where the ceremony won't proceed as usual).

This is a very big day for Promising Young Woman. I think the film being as nominated as it is really elevates it to a high status. It's crazy how the HFPA denied the proposal to run it in comedy/musical, but it didn't even have to be there. Fantastic choice.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

This is the HFPA we're talking about here. Never underestimate their desire to nominate big names (even during a pandemic where the ceremony won't proceed as usual).

I mean I definitely didn't expect Raci to make it in, because he's a no-name, but I thought it would just be another Trial actor or David Straithairn, not Leto.

10 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Also, Hulu has emerged as a force to be reckoned with. Multiple nominees for Palm Springs and Billie Holiday--and they're the streamer for Nomadland, too. They're definitely capable of handling campaigns.

This is the most Palm Springs or Billie Holiday will go. Former got help from a very empty category and Andra Day is a pretty GG nomination, espescially considering that they liked the movie. Nomadland is completely Fox Searchlight.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TMP said:

Mandalorian and Ratched got in but not Better Call Saul, wtf haha

The Mandalorian is arguably one of the biggest TV shows at the moment and was nominated for Best Drama in its first season at the Emmys so it's no surprise they went for it. Ratched got in because of Ryan Murphy Power (big day for him between The Prom and Ratched receiving multiple nominations plus Jim Parsons' nom for Hollywood).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Gardner said:

Yo I am pisssssssssssed

On the plus side, they did nominate a slew of black talent (Davis, Boseman, Day, Kaluuya, Odom Jr. for acting plus Regina King for Director and H.E.R. for Original Song).

Also believe there were whispers that the HFPA didn't care for Da 5 Bloods so I never thought it would get much recognition, but it's unfortunate to see it shut out completely after Spike Lee's children were announced as this year's Golden Globe ambassadors. 

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Feinberg pulling no punches.

Someone able to predict that Lindo would not get a nom could have made a lot of money, it is indeed surprising that:

In a year in which no stars will actually be attending their shindig in-person, one might have thought that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association would set aside its worst impulses and pick its nominees more on the merits than usual, not less.

But reading about who the voters tend to be:

https://www.vulture.com/2015/01/who-exactly-picks-the-golden-globes-winners.html

If the news is less about movies and there is way less of a race going on to influence them, to be worst than usual could have been expected as well by some cynic.

I have not seen enough this year to comment on the validity of anything said here thought