The Wild Eric

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

I think the run time gives it the advantage.  Unlike say endgame 3hrs(but dozens of characters) it has only one main character to focus on - one sole lead actor.  This gives it a tremendous advantage.  I think Pattinson could get a nomination ( not win)for an Oscar if the reviews are tremendous. Could be the first batman to get an Oscar nomination.  The movie looks gritty and artistic , noir .  And the film could get a nomination for best picture.  Atleast a nomination in some category is coming for this.  It looks too good, almost every shot is accurate to the comics. Just like heath Ledger got Oscar win for joker, so some form of recognition is coming. It's going to be slightly below TDK top 30 on IMDb I reckon.  

Edited by Halba

2 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

Monday will be buzzing due to (presumably) excellent reviews

Then Tuesday evening and Wednesday leading into thursday from fan screenings

Thursday night previews leading to excellent WOM and FSS explode

There's no certainty that the movie is going to be universally acclaimed as some of you claim. Some very few users have rated this with 3 on LB, luckily none of them count for Metacritic or RT, but who knows if that could set a trend with some professional critics, at the end of the day you never know what the final consensus may be .

If I listen to what people like ViewerAnon (standing ovations, people tearing up, etc.) or Bigscreenleaks (who have spent all this time saying how the film is something truly special and making fanboys believe that it's the greatest CBM, best ever, etc.) have said, I wouldn't expect anything less than 90+ on Metacritic.
Anything less than 90 on metacritic would be a disappointment based on their words all along, but then I remember they're twitter accounts desperate for likes a.k.a. attention whores. So I'm better off hoping for a realistic 60-69 metacritic score, and stop setting myself up for a disappointment.

Edited by Lighthouse
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

There's no certainty that the movie is going to be universally acclaimed as some of you claim. Some very few users have rated this with 3 on LB, luckily none of them count for Metacritic or RT, but who knows if that could set a trend with some professional critics, at the end of the day you never know what the final consensus may be .

If I listen to what people like ViewerAnon (standing ovations, people tearing up, etc.) or Bigscreenleaks (who have spent all this time saying how the film is something truly special and making fanboys believe that it's the greatest CBM, best ever, etc.) have said, I wouldn't expect anything less than 90+ on Metacritic.
Anything less than 90 on metacritic would be a disappointment based on their words all along, but then I remember they're twitter accounts desperate for likes a.k.a. attention whores. So I'm better off hoping for a realistic 60-69 metacritic score, and stop setting myself up for a disappointment.

TDK has an 84 and is considered the greatest CBM of all time. Nobody is expecting a 90 on MC. For me, excellent reviews for a comic book film would be high 70s and up. That doesn't indicate universal acclaim, but is a great score. Fine to temper your own expectations, but mine aren't delusional either

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

So I'm better off hoping for a realistic 60-69 metacritic score, and stop setting myself up for a disappointment.

1 minute ago, Dragoncaine said:

TDK has an 84 and is considered the greatest CBM of all time. Nobody is expecting a 90 on MC. For me, excellent reviews for a comic book film would be high 70s and up. That doesn't indicate universal acclaim, but is a great score. Fine to temper your own expectations, but mine aren't delusional either

I'm going with 78 MC. Means nothing one way or another when it comes to box office.

• Like 2

Anyone expecting a 90 on Metacritic is setting themselves up for disappointment, much like those who wanted this to do 200million OW. Not even Spider-Verse is 90.

The movie will have acclaim like the early screenings indicated, just in the high 75-78 range. That alone makes it higher than majority of comic films. 

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

i can create a letterboxd account and give it a 5 star rating, until actual critics post their reviews on monday its pointless to use that as a source

17 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

At the end of the day, these ratings are extremely subjective. I checked up on the Letterboxd reviews you're referring to and one of them have it a 3/5. He also gave 2/5 to The Last Duel, Cyrano, Licorice Pizza, Drive My Car, CODA, TITANE, PIG and a few other films that I believe are easily 4/5 for me and 5/5 for a lot of people. A few of these films are actually running for Best Picture this year.

I'm not expecting The Batman to have a 100% RT score or a 90% MetaCritic score, why? It's a Batman reboot that is swinging for the fences and trying to do something new / different. If The Dark Knight came out today, it'd be just as divisive. 

Every person on this planet has their version of Batman, so anyone who goes into this film hoping to see THEIR version of the Caped Crusader, will have a few gripes with it, simply because this film is Matt Reeves' version of who Batman is and represents.

As long as the film holds a solid RT score of 80%+ and a good audience score / rating - it's going to be just fine (dare I say, a critical success). But anyone hoping for THE BATMAN to be 100% on RT and 90% on MTC is setting up for disappointment.

It can still be "the greatest CBM" for you even if some critics don't like it. If you go over at The DARK Knight's RT page - even today, you'll see some late-coming critics dropping it a rotten score or a 3/5 here & there. Does that hinder that film for you? It doesn't for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm gonna go with 75 Metacritic, and 87% RT with average rating of 7.60/10.

Atleast a nomination in some category is coming for this. 

The work on Farrell effectively guarantees it's getting nominated for Best Makeup, and I feel pretty confident it'll nab a Best Sound nomination too.

10 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

I'm gonna go with 75 Metacritic, and 87% RT with average rating of 7.60/10.

The work on Farrell effectively guarantees it's getting nominated for Best Makeup, and I feel pretty confident it'll nab a Best Sound nomination too.

Best Cinematography definitely feels like it's on the table. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, commendable said:

Yall too worried bout a meaningless number that means absolutely nothing not only in regards to the box office, but also your personal opinion on the film. There is no indication that general audiences will like this movie 

I really don't think that's true.  While occasionally there is a major critic/audience disconnect ala The Last Jedi, usually when there is a large breadth and depth of critics that are buzzing about something, in turn the GA ends up liking it as well.  Especially mass entertainment like CBMs.

Now there is the TLJ example (which was mixed but still overall positive).  But I've been keeping my ear out for even a whisper about a potential fan backlash (yes, I am gunshy/attuned to this sort of thing, why do you ask?) and I haven't heard a damn thing yet.

It's also the different types of critics which seem to be buzzing about this film.  To put it somewhat bluntly, the "nerd critics"/"blog critics" seem to be really happy and they're the ones who are usually in-step the most with the GA that currently goes to the movies the most.

It is certainly true that we don't know for certain that the GA will love this film, or even like it.  And I would agree that we don't have enough nearly enough evidence to really even say it's likely that the GA will.

But "no indication"?  Can't say I agree with that. The very buzz coming from different types of folks is an indicator in and of itself, if not foolproof.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I really don't think that's true.  While occasionally there is a major critic/audience disconnect ala The Last Jedi, usually when there is a large breadth and depth of critics that are buzzing about something, in turn the GA ends up liking it as well.  Especially mass entertainment like CBMs.

Now there is the TLJ example (which was mixed but still overall positive).  But I've been keeping my ear out for even a whisper about a potential fan backlash (yes, I am gunshy/attuned to this sort of thing, why do you ask?) and I haven't heard a damn thing yet.

It's also the different types of critics which seem to be buzzing about this film.  To put it somewhat bluntly, the "nerd critics"/"blog critics" seem to be really happy and they're the ones who are usually in-step the most with the GA that currently goes to the movies the most.

It is certainly true that we don't know for certain that the GA will love this film, or even like it.  And I would agree that we don't have enough nearly enough evidence to really even say it's likely that the GA will.

But "no indication"?  Can't say I agree with that. The very buzz coming from different types of folks is an indicator in and of itself, if not foolproof.

actually you right when i think about it. I can't actually think about a super hero movie that critics loved but audience didn't

• Like 1