The Wild Eric

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I mean it's clear that this isn't getting the same reception as The Dark Knight Trilogy but what isn't clear is why?

I'd prefer if the criticisms were based on the actual quality or storytelling.

Saying a Batman movie shouldn't be dark, detective noir is like saying Spider-man shouldn't use quips or X-men shouldn't have social commentary.

But it is tho... a lot of the positive reviews are saying it is at that same level.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

The main complaints have been

1.  Too dark for todays climate 

2.  Batman doesn’t need another movie 

3.  3 hours

Yet to hear much of any complaints about the story other than the third act might be lacking compared to 1/2.  

I've seen complaints about Pattinson's Batman being too one-note/one-dimensional/hard to empathize with. Definitely not a universal thing but the undercurrent is there. 

• Like 1

I'm laughing at the latest rotten review added on RT that is basically a guide of what movies kids should watch. 

"Wondering if The Batman is ok for kids? The newest Batman film starring Robert Pattinson is quite dark and not kid friendly for younger ages. I wouldn’t recommend it for kids under 13. DC has a reputation for being darker in general, but films like Wonder Woman have a more superhero vibe. The Batman does not, so if you’re looking for that, this one’s not for you. You’re gonna get a very broody Batman that never smiles." 

I'm laughing but i'm a bit shocked they accept this as a review.

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm laughing at the latest rotten review added on RT that is basically a guide of what movies kids should watch. 

"Wondering if The Batman is ok for kids? The newest Batman film starring Robert Pattinson is quite dark and not kid friendly for younger ages. I wouldn’t recommend it for kids under 13. DC has a reputation for being darker in general, but films like Wonder Woman have a more superhero vibe. The Batman does not, so if you’re looking for that, this one’s not for you. You’re gonna get a very broody Batman that never smiles." 

There are a couple of these types of blogs, Common Sense Media is another that often reviews films. That review in particular also just doesn't feel well-written. How exactly do bloggers even get invited to these press screenings? 

• Like 3

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

There are a couple of these types of blogs, Common Sense Media is another that often reviews films. That review in particular also just doesn't feel well-written. How exactly do bloggers even get invited to these press screenings? 

It's terrible written, it's truly a guide debating all the points of the movie that makes it bad for kids, i almost didn't believe it when i saw it just added as a rotten actual review. 

But yeah, is hard to know how these people get into screenings for such big movies so easily.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I mean it's clear that this isn't getting the same reception as The Dark Knight Trilogy but what isn't clear is why?

I'd prefer if the criticisms were based on the actual quality or storytelling.

Saying a Batman movie shouldn't be dark, detective noir is like saying Spider-man shouldn't use quips or X-men shouldn't have social commentary.

i mean it's getting the batman begins treatment 

38 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I've seen complaints about Pattinson's Batman being too one-note/one-dimensional/hard to empathize with. Definitely not a universal thing but the undercurrent is there. 

Christian Bale couldn’t make Batman compelling either so I can see this

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I understand most of the Top Critics criticisms, but this is hilarious lmao

32 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

29 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

That person pretty much exclusively reviews movies in terms of their kid friendliness and appropriateness. If you check their other reviews it is the same case with all movies. It is like a parents guide to movies. 

Whether RT should be counting such reviews is debatable but this persons Batman review is not out of the norm for them. 

• Like 1

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

That person pretty much exclusively reviews movies in terms of their kid friendliness and appropriateness. If you check their other reviews it is the same case with all movies. It is like a parents guide to movies. 

Whether RT should be counting such reviews is debatable but this persons Batman review is not out of the norm for them. 

I know that, i said it's basically a guide. 

The fun part is exactly the fact that RT counts it as a rotten when it's so absurd as a proper review.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Yeah that was what I meant with the Common Sense Media comment, they are another blog that does the same thing. But my issue with the review itself is more that it's not well written in general, doesn't feel very professional. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

People.
9 out of 10 critics have liked the movie.
Of those 9 out 10 critics that have liked it, a good chunk of them have downright loved it and gave it the highest scores possible.

This over-analysis of the bad reviews is absolutely ridiculous. The movie is a win,. The consensus is that Batman is the world's greatest detective, Pattinson is great as Batman and depending on your tastes he might even be the best one.  Would it have been nice if it had a 96% instead of an 87%? Yeah, but at the same time it's extremely petty to overthink the fact that it isn't. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 15