Eric Atreides

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

12 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

It was still stupid of the CEO to say on day 46 The Batman is going to streaming cause if its got really good legs and he changes that then the HBOmax subscribers are gonna be pissed

Studios don't care about legs anymore. It's all about the streaming.

32 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

It was still stupid of the CEO to say on day 46 The Batman is going to streaming cause if its got really good legs and he changes that then the HBOmax subscribers are gonna be pissed

OW+ 6 weeks exclusively in theaters are enough.

And April won't be a wasteland like January...

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

That's why he won't change that. He didn't change the day and date release last year, there's no reason to think he'll change on this.

36 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

Anybody who's invested enough in this movie to get pissed about its availability is going to see it in a theater the first 45 days. Not that WM is going to backtrack anyway. By the 7th weekend the percentage going to the studio has fallen dramatically regardless of how good the legs are. It's more valuable to Max at that point than it is WB.

• Like 2

45 days is the new default norm. Will that cause more folks to wait for it at home than the old 90 day window? Sure, but the hardcores who can't wait will go see it regardless. If it has great WOM? More will check it out. 

(This goes deeper into a problem of signaling further that only supposed event level films should get a theatrical release, but that's not the fault or problem of one movie or even one studio, its an industry issue.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JonahVex said:

Most people here see this opening up somewhere around the 150m range, thats not sleeping on it thats being realistic, remember S-M Homecoming opened to like 98m and that was apart of the MCU, The Batman is in its own world and DC doesn't have the fanbase/trust that Marvel has

I wont' go into Franchise War soldier prick sizing, but I'm willing to put this movie down as a safe bet. I know fans of either side of a multi-billion dollar conglomerate wants their movie to make more, but that's irrelevant for what matters: TB in itself will do fine (however that is defined ultimately remains to be seen) but if its liked? New franchise and new shared Batman-y universe blah blah for nerds to get lost in, I still contend that the real money will come long term with the next film. Its about establishing (or in this case refurbishing) the foundation for that IP as a solo entity. 

• Like 1

This will make 95% of it's gross during the 45 first days anyway, so why anyone should care about HBO Max?

45 days is more than enough for almost all movies, especially frontloaded movies like SH ones. 80-90 days theatrical exclusive is mostly unnecessary for years now.

NWH despite the Holiday legs will probably made +740M on the first 45 days, and only 30-35M after that. If they put it on streaming, maybe it would made extra 20M instead of 30M, it's really not a big deal. 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

The only problem with the 45 day window as I see is if WB starts making a violent marketing push promoting the fact the movie is coming out 45 days later on HBO MAX 3 weeks before it ends on the platform, but as long as they keep the marketing to that at minimal until it drops the legs should be fine.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 21C said:

Some interesting updated data from The Quorum.

40 days before release in January 22nd 2022, The Batman has a HIGHER awareness than NWH did 4 days before release. 
NWH awareness on December 13th, 2021 (4 days before US release): 61.15%
The Batman awareness in January 22nd 2022 (40 days before US release): 62.54%
For a better comparison, NWH on November 12th had an awareness of 51.47%

This is balanced out by the fact that NWH's interest at the same time was higher, of course... but not by much.  

NWH interest on December 13th, 2021 (4 days before US release): 6.89
The Batman interest in January 22nd 2022 (40 days before US release): 6.63
NWH interest on November 12th: 6.36

With 57% saying they want to see The Batman in theaters, compared to 59% to NWH 4 days before release.

Now let's compare to the 2nd highest domestic opening of the pandemic, to see how far away The Batman actually is from it:

Venom Let There Be Carnage awareness at time of release: 54.39% 
The Batman 40 days before release: 62.54%
Venom Let There Be Carnage on September 2nd: 47.42%

Interest:
Venom Let There Be Carnage at time of release: 5.78
The Batman 40 days before release: 6.63
Venom Let There Be Carnage on September 2nd: 5.76

Really think the range for the domestic opening of The Batman is between 150-180 million, but I'm gonna try not to get too excited and stick to 160 million. This isn't like any other reboot. 

The Batman dominating to the surprise of nobody no doubt 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

This is gonna be an automatic top-tier Batfilm if it's anything like Mask of the Phantasm. Also, is this RPatz lowkey campaigning for a live action Phantasm adaptation with KStew?

• Like 1

"Whereas in the cinema, it is always his heroic side that is put forward..."

I know he's just giving an off the cuff answer, but this isn't really true. Burton's Batman was portrayed as a fucked-up hermit and the entire thesis of the Nolan trilogy was ultimately that Bruce was better off without him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RRA said:

reminds me of Batman ‘89 and it’s product tie-in tour

Batman Forever will always be my favorite, solely because of the one ad that literally uses a line from the movie. They added in "I'll get drive-thru" in the movie solely for a McDonald's promotion. That's so capitalistically cynical that it's kind of adorable.

• Like 1