Eric Duncan

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

On 4/20/2022 at 10:55 AM, AJG said:

. The ending with the whole 'hey, isn't it weird how the Batman franchise lines up well with incel behaviour?' examination is half baked but it's fine enough 

Haven't seen the movie yet, tomorrow probably,but hasn't the "big-brained" (quotations marks imply some degree of irony) talking point always been "hey, isn't it weird how the Batman franchise lines up well with fascist behaviour?". Are those 2 terms somewhat interchangeable or is it a much different type of batman?

14 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Saw it on HBO Max after missing it in theaters. It's alright, but it still basically felt like it was coasting on the tone and execution of the Nolan films, rather than its own unique identity.

Which tonal elements did you find similar between Reeves' movie and Nolan's trilogy?

6 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Which tonal elements did you find similar between Reeves' movie and Nolan's trilogy?

Yeah, I just watched this last night.  I don't really see that similarity, either.  Reeves' movie is sufficiently different in its approach -- it manages to feel surprisingly "new" even for someone who's seen 10 different live action Batman movies, already!  

But yes, it's too long!  If this was the kind of story they wanted to tell, it should have been an 8-10-episode HBOMax series.  

Spoiler

The bit in the finale where Batman "super-adrenaline-charges" is surely a hint at Bane for later, right??

Edited by Macleod

4 hours ago, Dragoncaine said:

There are some differences, namely the narration giving it a detective noir film, but this version of the Riddler feels like he could have fit right in the Nolan films. There's also the gritty, grounded tone the film has. Outside of Batman Begins, the Dark Knight films and Reeve's Batman film are less over the top and more grounded, more real feeling. . .as real feeling as a movie about Batman can be.

I kinda wish Gotham was more......gothic arty feeling. I grew up with the 90s cartoon before I ever ventured into the live action films,

It is not a bad film, I just wished for a dark, more gothic feeling Batman. Something the first three original Batman films and the Arkham games especially succeeded with.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

This Riddler would be very out of place in the Nolan films. This version of the character is a commentary on online radicalism. That’s a very current topic. Plus, he’s not some “badass” philosophy expert like Heath Ledger’s Joker. He’s an awkward manchild. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

There are some differences, namely the narration giving it a detective noir film, but this version of the Riddler feels like he could have fit right in the Nolan films. There's also the gritty, grounded tone the film has. Outside of Batman Begins, the Dark Knight films and Reeve's Batman film are less over the top and more grounded, more real feeling. . .as real feeling as a movie about Batman can be.

I kinda wish Gotham was more......gothic arty feeling. I grew up with the 90s cartoon before I ever ventured into the live action films,

It is not a bad film, I just wished for a dark, more gothic feeling Batman. Something the first three original Batman films and the Arkham games especially succeeded with.

The 1990’s animated show is the best version of Batman. I watched Batman 89 this evening. The 2019 remastered version is gorgeous. Much better color than the old Blu-ray and DVD versions from 2009 and earlier.

I’m about 50 minutes into my first viewing of the Matt Reeves film. Main takeaway is the digital camerawork looks really cheap. I miss the visual style of Burton or even Nolan. The Reeves story itself seems to be solid enough quality so far, but I am kinda thinking Reeves was a better fit overall with the Apes franchise. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s a misleading headline. 

Mortal Kombat is still the biggest hit on HBOMax. According to Samba anyway. 

MK got a pretty big fanbase even with the low BO numbers ( during height of the pandemic ) they greenlit an sequel.

1 hour ago, AdrianL said:

Welp. Long live theatrical windows. It made $360m+ domestic and still outdid almost every 2021 film. Last year really was one for the books on what not to do. 

It's important to remember that WB from the beginning committed to theatrical exclusivety for their movies released from 2022 and beyond. They made those deals with theater chains even before there were vaccines or the certainty that the theatrical business would be fully back to normal by now. They always said the day and date thing was not a new business model, but a pandemic related decision, and they kept their promise. 

And whether that emergencial startegy was a mistake it's debatable. In my opinion blindsiding their partners and the talent involved was an undeniable mistake, but the day and date release of their 2021 slate was successful in not only putting HBO Max on the right track after a failed launch, but in also helping theaters to recover. I believe things would have been worse for both the theatrical business and WarnerMedia as a corporation have they not made that decision.

Watched this on HBO and generally enjoyed it (not a huge Batman fan, so take with a grain of salt).  It did drag for me, I'll be honest. I felt like everyone was even speaking veeerrrry sloooowwwwly.  But, Pattinson did a very good job. I liked the story, overall, except for it just sort of plodding along a bit.  Biggest disappointment was Catwoman.  She was lackluster to me.  Certainly compared to prior iterations. But, overall, happy to get to watch it with my free HBO, enjoyed it, and also happy not to have paid actual money or had to leave my house. 

On 4/23/2022 at 2:16 AM, poweranimals said:

This is great. 😂

I think this is the worst HISHE yet. Too long, not funny at all, and the authors should watch the film more focused next time. 1) Batman covered his face before the explosion; 2) Martinez wasn't in The Riddler's apartment when they've found a tucker, he was taking Nashton to Arkham.

HISHE for this film should be so easy. Just show the scene where Batman and Gordon find thumb-drive, and when they see photos of the Mayor with Annika they go to see where those pictures where taken from. They catch The Riddler, the end after 35 minutes of the film. :)

Edited by Juby
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1