Eric Atreides

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

An entire generation raised on various Batman animated series that had the Bat Family front and center would disagree with you on how silly or risky it would be.

To add to something Cap said (I see you lurking, Cap... :ph34r:), why do y'all think The Mandalorian is so got drat popular nowadays?

One of the reasons is because Team Dad (or Team Mom as the case may be) resonates with a lot of grownup geeks and nerds now.

The protective instinct is a strong one and one that is a natural for Batman, given his own tragic backstory.

Anyway, probs enough from me on this topic lest we get to a five page derailment.

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

An entire generation raised on various Batman animated series that had the Bat Family front and center would disagree with you on how silly or risky it would be.

They've also had a whole extended bat family thing going on in the comics for like two decades now. Batgirl, Batwoman, the many Robins, Nightwing, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Batwing...

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

If you are taling about Batman ATS, they drastically changed the Bat Family. They dropped the sillier members Bat Mite and Bat Women, made Robin a college aid kid (he is alway at college for many of the adventures) and used a more serous version of the TV Batgirl.

I just think Batman works best as pretty much a loner who does not really play well with other heros.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

If you are taling about Batman ATS, they drastically changed the Bat Family. They dropped the sillier members Bat Mite and Bat Women, made Robin a college aid kid (he is alway at college for many of the adventures) and used a more serous version of the TV Batgirl.

I just think Batman works best as pretty much a loner who does not really play well with other heros.

They ditched college Robin when they did the New Adventures series and had Tim Drake be a 12-year old while Dick Grayson became Nightwing.

And I don't think anyone's thinking of 60s Batman when they're talking about the "Bat family."

12 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

The people who say that are the same people who love to watch Bond every two years (they've made movies since the 60s). But Batman is somehow a problem, whose last trilogy ended a decade ago.

They will probably be delighted to see the 8th Spiderman movie as well.

I've only seen the Brosnan and Craig movies, and MAYBE one of the Connerys when I was too young to remember. After No Time to Die, I've witnessed the best Bond era we will ever see and have no reason to watch them anymore. 

22 hours ago, excel1 said:

Nolan ended near 10 years ago. So hard to believe for those for those of who followed from the day he was hired in Jan 2003, but the world has moved on. this will pwn

LOL at people thinking ten years is a long time. 

I didn't say the world hadn't moved on. Get over the fact that not every moviegoer in the world gives a shit about comic book characters their entire lives. Once it's been done at a level not likely to be matched, there's nowhere to go but down. Reeves is a talented filmmaker but when you look at his resume, his originality is lacking. He peaked with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. 

26 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I've only seen the Brosnan and Craig movies, and MAYBE one of the Connerys when I was too young to remember. After No Time to Die, I've witnessed the best Bond era we will ever see and have no reason to watch them anymore. 

To declare this without at least seeing the Connery films (and their massive influence on genre/cinema/pop culture) is….well, it’s certainly a take. I mean hell the Craig films owe a lot to OHMSS, which some Bondians consider the franchise peak? I’m surprised you haven’t been intrigued enough to check that out just for that influence. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

I have a somewhat similar vibe to this.

It's been (nearly) 25 years since the infamous Batman and Robin.  Time to stop being afraid of Robin and get out from under the shadow that film cast.

Have more thoughts to type, but for a harmonious forum I'll leave to the side (for now/this thread). 👼

Furthermore, the excuses for why they don't cast Robin in films anymore are passe and obsolete.  It was always either "child endangerment" or "homophobia."  I know that sounds nuts, but those were always the big issues that came up.  We can't have kid Robin, because then our hero would be "endangering a child and that's not a good look" and we can't have adult Robin, because then **pearl clutches** "people might think Batman is Gay and Wertham was right." 

5 hours ago, Menor said:

Including Robin is one thing (and I fully support including him) but I don't think this particular movie would work. Generally people do want a decent dose of action from superhero movies. 

I would agree that action is better, but this is Batman.  He's supposed to be A Detective.  You could get away with a detective/suspense/mystery and sprinkle in some action set pieces here and there.  Like what if David Fincher directed a 1hr and 40 minute Live Action BTAS movie? 

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Horrible idea.

But IS IT?

One of the reason that Batman's been able to endure for so long is the approach to the character evolves, and frankly it really reflects the state of the times.

1930s - Pulp Action Star

1960s - Campy, But Actually "Captured" the Counterculture Youth Angle

1980s - Gothic Excessive to Reflect Reganism

1990s - Peak Consumerism

2000s - Post 9/11 Paranoia

So we're basically at the point that with Batman, that after the last decade, it would makes sense for either:

1.  He's the Bad Guy.  He's a billionaire sociopath with serve PTSD that beats up "criminals" and "thugs" in a Latex Fursuit.  Do we even need a Batman anymore?  Or does the world need Bruce Wayne instead?

2. Radical 180 Absurdism to capture that Nothing Really Matters Anymore.  And that after the past decade, doing a mindless silly movie would make sense because no one wants to face the realities of reality anymore.

OOOOOOOOR.

3.  You could Let Him Be Logan Roy!!!!! Make Him The Emotionally Fucked Up Father That Emotionally Fucked Up His Kids And now they are all jockeying to be Dad's Favorite!!  Do you know how HARD I would watch BatFam/Succession.  Oh, it's be so good.  So good.

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

(I see you lurking, Cap... :ph34r:)

You such a bad influence.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, No Eternals Spoilers 4 Cap said:

I would agree that action is better, but this is Batman.  He's supposed to be A Detective.  You could get away with a detective/suspense/mystery and sprinkle in some action set pieces here and there.  Like what if David Fincher directed a 1hr and 40 minute Live Action BTAS movie? 

As a supporting point, we literally just had a film set in a Batman-universe which was The King of Comedy with the serial numbers filed off that pulled just a bit over a billion dollars worldwide.

So this idea that a CBM must be a huge action extravaganza seems a bit hollow to me.  And, anyway, Stagecraft by ILM helps keep the costs down if this film is any indication.

*sees I'm continuing on this discussion after all*

Guess you're something of a bad influence on me, as well. ;) 

(we can be Snips and Sky Guy here US8NY36.gif)

(really stopping now)

(I hope! :lol:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As a supporting point, we literally just had a film set in a Batman-universe which was The King of Comedy with the serial numbers filed off that pulled just a bit over a billion dollars worldwide.

So this idea that a CBM must be a huge action extravaganza seems a bit hollow to me.  And, anyway, Stagecraft by ILM helps keep the costs down if this film is any indication.

*sees I'm continuing on this discussion after all*

Guess you're something of a bad influence on me, as well. ;) 

(we can be Snips and Sky Guy here US8NY36.gif)

(really stopping now)

(I hope! :lol:)

"set in the Batman universe" =/= The Batman.

A Batman movie requires the setpieces. Making a movie without those would be like making a Bond movie where he's just sitting and contemplating his alcoholism and mortality.

On 10/18/2021 at 12:16 PM, Porthos said:

Likes might be a more interesting story.

2020 DC Fandome Trailer:  34.8m views | 993k up 23k down

2021 DC Fandome Trailer:  19.5m views | 846k up 17k down

@Let There Be Legion, any thoughts on this since you've got a better handle on YT likes than I do?

On 10/19/2021 at 2:33 PM, Porthos said:

26 hours later:

2021 DC Fandome Trailer:  23.3m views | 905k up 19k down

About 2.25k likes per hour, more or less (which I was seeing during the day yesterday as well).  Pace is gonna slow, but now maybe a decent chance likes on this will pass the likes on the 2020 Fandome trailer.

Now one week after the trailer debuted:

2020 DC Fandome Trailer:  35.1m views | 999k up 23k down

2021 DC Fandome Trailer:  30.7m views | 968k up 21k down

Probably not gonna pass it in likes now, but it is pretty close all things considered.

It was at 943k likes yesterday if I'm not wron so it will pass 1M still this week. If wasn't for the different uploads on lots of channels, the first trailer should have a way bigger number.

A little reminder that the only DC film trailer with over 1M likes on Youtube is Joker. Both trailers. First with 1.5M and the final one with 1.4M.

• Like 1