Eric Atreides

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

24 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This will not break out so big imo. I have it UNDER 300M (270M to be exact and that if Omicron doesn't do too much damage). It's yet another reboot after so little time passed.

It's Batman, not Suicide Squad. 

My estimate is somewhere around $375M. 

Three years ago, I argued that there was no more interest in Batman after the Snyder movies, but after Joker, and after seeing how much buzz this movie seems to be generating, I’ve long since abandoned that argument. Still, that doesn’t mean people should be expecting a billion dollar movie. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, belblazer said:

According to THR, WB tested two versions of the movie for a few people. One with a certain actor and the other without him.

The final test was last week and WB decided which version they liked the most.

You're running about an hour late with this, my friend lol. 

32 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Three years ago, I argued that there was no more interest in Batman after the Snyder movies, but after Joker, and after seeing how much buzz this movie seems to be generating, I’ve long since abandoned that argument. Still, that doesn’t mean people should be expecting a billion dollar movie. 

Yeah I've seen a fair amount of  people predicting this making over a billion and every time I go "really?". Don't get me wrong I do think this will get good reception and do good box office wise but there seems to be some overestimation going on.

Part of the reason I think it wont be a huge breakout is because I don't think the general audience is super sold on Pattinson yet, he's been getting praise among critics and film buffs for the smaller works he's been in but as it seems that he's still seen as "the twilight kid" by a lot of people, fair or not. Also I'm not sure if online hype for The Batman will equal to general audience hype for another batman movie

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

This will not break out so big imo. I have it UNDER 300M (270M to be exact and that if Omicron doesn't do too much damage). It's yet another reboot after so little time passed.

3 hours ago, Menor said:

Maybe, but both trailers were big, and it performs well in tracking and basically any hype metric you want. As long as it's well-received, it will do well. My low-end prediction of 350 is already factoring in quite a bit of damage from Covid+franchise fatigue, Batman movies have record-breaking potential. Only way I can see yours happening is if either Omicron gets utterly awful or the film is reviled. 

Yep.  Second trailer with more likes than the first and both over 1m likes is probably a pretty small list.  Second trailer is also only about 630k views behind the first.

The hype is real for this flick. Probably the most hype a DC product has had since Joker.  And this time it has little to none of the internet/Twitter backlash that Joker was facing.  

The calendar placement is also good and it'll have been a nice long time since the last DC flick (not that many paid too much attention to TSS, mind).

I also get the sense that, jokes about how "FINALLY a 'dark' Batman film" have been made for nearly 20 years now, there is a sense out there that this film will be a little different than the Nolan/Synder version of Batsy and in a way that is resonating with enough people to drive interest.

And, frankly, not being attached to All The Drama over the Synder-verse is probably a plus at this point.

Won't throw out a number at the moment, but I expect the OW to be big, especially if the reviews are as good as some rumormongering is suggesting it might be.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Won't throw out a number at the moment, but I expect the OW to be big, especially if the reviews are as good as some rumormongering is suggesting it might be.

You never throw out numbers! Throw some out!! :ohmyzod:

As for me, I'm thinking about $130-145M as of now. 

2 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

You never throw out numbers!

That's how I never lose. ;)

2 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

As for me, I'm thinking about $130-145M as of now. 

(was actually thinking +/- 150m OW, myself :ph34r:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

But you win my heart win you prognosticate 🥰

Oh, this is the furthest thing from a prognostication.  More a sort of gut-check reaction.  Be heavily dependent on the state of the 'rona at the time, but I really like its calendar placement when it comes right down to it. 

Like, what's "big" between it and NWH?  Even if Morbius or Scream (2022) break out, I doubt it's gonna satisfy the blockbuster itch out there. Uncharted?? Insert "I guess" meme of one's choosing HERE.

DC fans on the movie side of things have been starving since WW84 (since they by and large turned up their nose to TSS).  And depending on how one wants to look at that meal, maybe since Birds of Prey or even Joker.

It's got a ton of positive buzz and a decent amount of good feelings behind it.  Hype could deflate between now and then, of course.  But this just "feels" like The Next Big Thing once NWH is in the rear view mirror.

Edited by Porthos

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's got a ton of positive buzz and a decent amount of good feelings behind it.  Hype could deflate between now and then, of course.  But this just "feels" like The Next Big Thing once NWH is in the rear view mirror.

Ohh definitely. I'll be there on previews night, contributing my $16-22 (depending on screen). I think it could be top 5 domestically in 2022, which is saying a lot given how absolutely packed it'll be. 

Spoiler

Why would they make the Joker a young kid when a face off with Phoenix is an insane cash opportunity?

also opening weekend between $225m and $250m incoming. 

Edited by excel1

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:
  Hide contents

Why would they make the Joker a young kid when a face off with Phoenix is an insane cash opportunity?

also opening weekend between $225m and $250m incoming. 

Spoiler

Because that version of the Joker would be like 70 now, and it's very clear that version wouldn't fit in the world they're creating in 'The Batman' 

If OW is over $175M I'd be pretty surprised. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

Hide contents

Because that version of the Joker would be like 70 now, and it's very clear that version wouldn't fit in the world they're creating in 'The Batman' 

If OW is over $175M I'd be pretty surprised. 

Spoiler

Has it been announced when THE BATMAN occurs? It looks far from modern. 

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:
  Hide contents

Has it been announced when THE BATMAN occurs? It looks far from modern. 

Spoiler

They haven't said but in the last trailer it shows the Riddler "live-streaming" something he did, so it can't be more than a few years old (and is most likely current). Joker was set in 1981, so about a 40 year difference. 

• Like 1

going to be even longer than the dark knight rises. and thats a long film. grittier, noirish detective batman version this. of course plenty of action. but the main thing is the detective side of batman hasnt been covered in live action, only animated in the TAS and the animated films.

Edited by Halba