Eric Atreides

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

18 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

200m is still hard. Only 8 films have done it. 5 are MCU/Avengers adjacent. Two are Star Wars. Jurassic World is the outlier but that was a nostalgic smash.

BVS is still the highest opening Batman movie and that had hook of a Superman team-up. Ironically, the 17th, 18th and 19th biggest openings are Batman. BVS (166), Dark Knight Rises (160.8m), Dark Knight (158.4m). Of course TDKR has impacted by the tragedy but safe to say, it likely wasn't coming near 200m.

160-170ish seems right? (Iron Man 3 did 174m and Civil War did 179m). 

"MCU adjacent" = Films that Amy Pascal vaguely tries to pass off as connected to the MCU like Venom. Not NWH which is MCU proper lol.

As for Batman and 200M, let's see. There's a reason NWH opened well above 200M and Homecoming/FFH despite all being MCU films and that's because it had a big hook of its own and was the most anticipated pandemic film so far. The Batman doesn't have as big a hook as NWH but then again we aren't expecting it to open at 260M either. I'll peg 200M OW as 50:50 right now as it's hotly anticipated and the first superhero film to follow NWH, with the perfect gap in release dates to build up demand. 200M will come down to the reviews and how they affect the hype.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maggie said:

Now release the budget numbers. They've said it's 100M, but i am not convinced

Not sure about 100 Million, but sincethis film does not seem to involve any huge CGI heavy action scenes, I see it coming in for much less then most CBM's.

As for lenght, since we don't know that much about the story, I think that David Selznick's comment that a movie can be too short at three and half hours, and too long at 90 minutes holds. I will comment that being long is no guarantee of quality, though.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

"MCU adjacent" = Films that Amy Pascal vaguely tries to pass off as connected to the MCU like Venom. Not NWH which is MCU proper lol.

As for Batman and 200M, let's see. There's a reason NWH opened well above 200M and Homecoming/FFH despite all being MCU films and that's because it had a big hook of its own and was the most anticipated pandemic film so far. The Batman doesn't have as big a hook as NWH but then again we aren't expecting it to open at 260M either. I'll peg 200M OW as 50:50 right now as it's hotly anticipated and the first superhero film to follow NWH, with the perfect gap in release dates to build up demand. 200M will come down to the reviews and how they affect the hype.

I said Avengers adjacent..

1 hour ago, Eric Riley said:

Dude FUCK those trophies lmao

Was trying to 100% Arkham Knight (was my first Arkham game) but I only found out after I did every non-Riddler side-quest that I had to get the trophies too. Not as bad as Infamous Second Son tho where I was at 99% but couldn't 100% because of a glitch in a side-mission.

Just thinking it would be really cool to bring back actual midnight screenings with a film like this. No Way Home should have done it but opted for what was basically a Thursday release minus the first round of matinees. I'm tired of rolling Thursday into Friday goddamn it

• Like 1

Eh TBH 7 PM is much more convenient haha. The atmosphere at midnight showings was always like a football game, though. 

Box office wise, would be impossible to compare