Eric Atreides

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

34 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do wonder what villains Matt Reeve will consider for a potential sequel. We'll have to rule out fantastical villains like Mr Freeze, Poison Ivy, Clayface etc but characters like Hugo Strange, Hush and Mad Hatter are possibilities along with the Court of Owls. 

The Batman Hush story is what got me into comics so I'd love to see that on screen finally. Also I think Mr. Freeze could work, he certainly has the tragic personal story that would help ground it, they'd just have to figure out how to adapt his "powers".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

FWIW I didn't hate this as much as everyone else, and I also think both JLaw and Streep have had loser projects lately. Steep maybe the majority tbh. But you're not wrong on the general point!

People hated Don't Look Up? It was a little messy and uneven but funny and well acted throughout. Genuinely enjoyed it.

On 12/27/2021 at 3:11 PM, belblazer said:

I think it was released before expected. The last trailers were posted by the official account on Twitter and Matt on Vimeo, and none of them posted it so far.

I'm pretty sure someone screwed things up with that trailer. It's yet to be available with subtitles in WB's international Youtube channels, I don't think it was meant to be released now.

23 hours ago, grim22 said:

Join, or laugh at my ignorance

I'm IN..

Since it looks like WB is confident as hell in this movie, I'm assuming that they're going to have a press screening a week or couple weeks before the release date. That could be huge in starting the momentum to get those big numbers if it gets good reactions from critics. 

Certainly better than the last messy trailer. I wouldn't exactly say I'm hyped (which feels odd to admit as a Batman fan, maybe I'm just getting old) but the film will look gorgeous if nothing else.

I think the marketing could have been way more focused but I also feel like Reeves has a good sense of quality control so it's not indicative of anything.

Edited by Hatebox

3 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I definitely looks good, but I don't see what the hook is. Batman, for better and worse, has always inspired really idiosyncratic takes, and this seems the least distinct so far tbh.

If its job was to get me excited for Riddler or Catwoman it definitely failed. But the tone and visuals do, for better or worse, feel uniquely oppressive. It's not just down to earth, it's positively hellish.

2 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I definitely looks good, but I don't see what the hook is. Batman, for better and worse, has always inspired really idiosyncratic takes, and this seems the least distinct so far tbh.

The hook seems to echo Tom King's comic arc "hook" - "Bat and Cat" - his entire very recent run focused on that relationship in some way, and I get so many vibes from that in the trailer (over and above it repeating the terminology)...

I echo others who are feeling left "eh" but (1) objectively it looks well-framed/shot and (2) it does look like a "Batman Movie" and like a new Fast/Furious or 007 movie having their unique looks/vibes...at this point, the lukewarm vibes one might have could be more about said person than about said movie. 

15 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

The hook seems to echo Tom King's comic arc "hook" - "Bat and Cat" - his entire very recent run focused on that relationship in some way, and I get so many vibes from that in the trailer (over and above it repeating the terminology)...

OK, but this doesn't mean anything for general audiences, or even reasonably knowledgeable lore audiences like me, who are familiar with many legacy stories, but don't read comics anymore.  A "hook" is generally talked about as what will convince the general audience to buy into this movie.  Then again, the counterpoint is...does Batman even need a "hook" anymore?  Audiences seem to buy into the character no matter what.  (Even Batman & Robin made $100 million at the U.S. box office in 1997!)  

• Like 2

I don't think it needs a "hook" comic book movies are all the rage now, way more than even during the nolan days. Look at how much BO WW or Aquaman pulled in AFTER the flopping of JL or even B list characters like Venom and Deadpool. A good batman movie should cross 1 bil especially with a china release since its got 0 comp

I'll make a bold prediction and say this will be seen as the 2nd best Batman movie after TDKTDK is likely out of reach simply because thats the Joker's movie, but the Riddler in this sounds a lot more compelling than TDKR's goofy ass Bane and Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman looks leagues better than Anne Hathaway's Catwoman.

• Like 1