Eric Duncan

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

Matt about the death of Martha and Thomas

“We’ve seen it so many times,” Reeves says. “It’s been done too much. I knew we couldn’t do that.”

It's a very interesting interview:

Director Matt Reeves Says 'The Batman' Is Inspired by 1970s Cinema, 1980s Comic Books and… Nirvana

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a38791912/matt-reeves-interview-the-batman/

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, belblazer said:

Matt about the death of Martha and Thomas

It's a very interesting interview:

Director Matt Reeves Says 'The Batman' Is Inspired by 1970s Cinema, 1980s Comic Books and… Nirvana

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a38791912/matt-reeves-interview-the-batman/

Matt, if you're trying to make me want to see your movie in theaters.....you're doing a good job. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RRA said:

reminds me of Batman ‘89 and it’s product tie-in tour

Taco Bell too

Batman 1989 up there with ID4, Pearl Harbor, and Spiderman 2002 for all-time great ad campaign 

This quote from Reeves fills me with hope:

"‘Here’s the thing: I respect that the DC Universe has become an extended universe and all the movies were kind of connected. But another Batman film, it shouldn’t have to carry the weight of connecting the characters from all those other movies. I didn’t want them in there.”

Batman works so much better without all this extended cinematic universe crap

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Merkel said:

This quote from Reeves fills me with hope:

"‘Here’s the thing: I respect that the DC Universe has become an extended universe and all the movies were kind of connected. But another Batman film, it shouldn’t have to carry the weight of connecting the characters from all those other movies. I didn’t want them in there.”

Batman works so much better without all this extended cinematic universe crap

That reads like a very polite way of saying I don't like extended cinematic universes.

But even if he did, Batman just doesn't work in the same onscreen universe as Superman, Wonder Woman, and a fishman.  I wonder if WB will try and force other DC characters or connections into the sequel. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, jking123 said:

I disagree with idea batman cant work with other dc characters tbh

So do I.

Look at the Timmverse  Justice League animated series for an example:  Batman works with otther charecters, but is still very much a loner.

You should always avoid absolute statments; You generally have to take them back when exceptions occur.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jking123 said:

I disagree with idea batman cant work with other dc characters tbh

I did not say he can't work, just that he works best.

Mind you, my all time favorite Batman story has Superman in it (The Dark Knight Returns). But it is very much an exception to the rule.

I just vastly prefer a universe where Gotham is almost like a self contained place. Part of the US, yes, but it kinda lives in its own reality and rules, not too afected with what happens in the outside world.

The vigilante aspect of Batman, which is one of his coolest aspects, always gets downplayed when you start having superpowered heroes flying around.

Even the Bat-family became too large for its own good

33 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

Do Talia right, c'mon Reeves you know you want to

I second the motion.

One of the problems I had with TDKR was making Talia into a rather bland villianess. instead of the more complex charecter she is in the comics.

Come to think of it, Poison Ivy is another Batverse charecter who needs to be done right.