Eric Atreides

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

21 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

If Phoenix turned down Doctor Strange because of the multi film commitment I can't see him doing one for Joker.

The Stange film did not have anywhere neare the kind of paycheck Phoenix is going to be offered.

It will make him a rich man, and he will never have to do another paycheck film again. And no doubt Warners funding a small personal film for Phoenix will be part of the deal, if there is one.

26 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The Stange film did not have anywhere neare the kind of paycheck Phoenix is going to be offered.

It will make him a rich man, and he will never have to do another paycheck film again. And no doubt Warners funding a small personal film for Phoenix will be part of the deal, if there is one.

Uh...isn’t he already a rich man?

58 minutes ago, dudalb said:

One: Phoenix isn't exactly broke.

Two: You really think Phoenix getting a 6-7 film deal with Marvel would be less than he'd be getting for a 2 film deal for two indie-budget sized DC movies?

Three: It's the mirror, so it's fucking fake anyways.

Edited by SpiderByte

5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Two: You really think Phoenix getting a 6-7 film deal with Marvel would be less than he'd be getting for a 2 film deal for two indie-budget sized DC movies?

To be fair MCU paychecks are famously terrible until you've had a few hits with them...

But yeah, this story's sounds completely made up.

Edited by Hatebox

9 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

One: Phoenix isn't exactly broke.

Three: It's the mirror, so it's fucking fake anyways.

LOL imagine calling Joker an indie budget movie. estimated $200M budget for production & marketing. You're funny.

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

15 hours ago, tree said:

LOL imagine calling Joker an indie budget movie. estimated $200M budget for production & marketing. You're funny.

If they spent 200 million it definitely wasn't on the actual film's production budget. That movie is definitely at most 70 mil. Doctor Strange appeared in 4 movies in the span of 3 years, and still has more on the contract. Two of those movies topped 2 billion. There's no way in hell that he'll get paid more for Joker than he passed on for the MCU.

Edited by SpiderByte

6 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

If they spent 200 million it definitely wasn't on the actual film's production budget. That movie is definitely at most 70 mil. Doctor Strange appeared in 4 movies in the span of 3 years, and still has more on the contract. Two of those movies topped 2 billion. There's no way in hell that he'll get paid more for Joker than he passed on for the MCU.

The price an actor is paid for MCU is usually locked in for 5 films or so. Let's say they were to pay him $1M per Strange appearance. That's $5m. Now, let's say they offer $10-$20M to play Joker again. That's a different story. 

Edited by CloneWars

8 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

So you're saying that 70 million production budget is an "indie budget"?

And yes it was estimated $200M - $70M production, $150M marketing. 

As for his paycheque, you have no idea how much he might be getting paid. All I would say is that Joker was one of the most profitable films of last year, and I would have no doubt that WB would be willing to pay serious money to get him for a sequel. Deadline reckons that Joker made $400M profit - which is far more than the majority of MCU films - so Phoenix would have a lot of room to negotiate a big pay day. 

Also, for what it's worth... I hope there is no sequel because this is easily the worst depiction of Joker in film so far. Worse than Jared Leto :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

So you're saying that 70 million production budget is an "indie budget"?

And yes it was estimated $200M - $70M production, $150M marketing. 

As for his paycheque, you have no idea how much he might be getting paid. All I would say is that Joker was one of the most profitable films of last year, and I would have no doubt that WB would be willing to pay serious money to get him for a sequel. Deadline reckons that Joker made $400M profit - which is far more than the majority of MCU films - so Phoenix would have a lot of room to negotiate a big pay day. 

Also, for what it's worth... I hope there is no sequel because this is easily the worst depiction of Joker in film so far. Worse than Jared Leto :ph34r:

The marketing budget doesn't go to fucking Phoenix though so my point still stands, a big megafranchise deal with Marvel is still definitely bigger than whatever the hell he got for Joker 

4 hours ago, CloneWars said:

The price an actor is paid for MCU is usually locked in for 5 films or so. Let's say they were to pay him $1M per Strange appearance. That's $5m. Now, let's say they offer $10-$20M to play Joker again. That's a different story. 

There is no way that is true.

Edited by Hangman
  • Like 1

For those saying the quality of movies won't be affected by the pandemic, here is a producer that says otherwise.

I’m worried that everyone is re-writing scripts to make it work in a COVID-19 environment. I understand that everyone wants to get back into production, but if it’s not safe to do the movie you want to do, so you’re rewriting it for the sake of it, that scares me more.

I don’t want a big action movie with no action. Everyone needs to get back to work, but at what cost? If anything, we have to make sure we’re making good movies so theaters survive.

There’s still quality control. That’s the great thing about the movie industry, we make the best films. We don’t want to sacrifice complete quality control just to get it done.

I’ve spoken to filmmakers who say they’ve made a movie COVID-19 friendly. They’ll talk about changing locations, no extras and fewer people on set. People are trying to make this movie work in this environment

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/new-republic-hollywood-restart-production-brian-oliver-1234770878/

Edited by Maggie

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

For those saying the quality of movies won't be affected by the pandemic, here is a producer that says otherwise.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/new-republic-hollywood-restart-production-brian-oliver-1234770878/

It's certainly true that you can't shoot a whole film in a "Covid-secure" environment. However, for most of the films in production now, they have already shot large parts of the movie, and so can use this time to do some smaller scale scenes. Or the films that are just starting to shoot, they can do the "covid-safe" scenes now, and then do the scenes which require more people together at another time. Films have reshoots all the time and given how long a film's production takes, I'm sure it will be feasible to complete the movie the way they wanted.

Also just as a general point. Scripts get re-written all the time. For all sorts of reasons - practical/financial etc.

You can make a movie within lots of parameters, and good filmmakers can still make good films out of that.

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

they can do the "covid-safe" scenes now, and then do the scenes which require more people together at another time.

That would cost a lot of money, i'm not sure film budgets can afford that. 

I'm pretty sure the pandemic will affect all those action, big movies that require many extras and all the people on set. It's a sad reality

Edited by Maggie