Eric Atreides

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Joaquin Phoenix wasn’t exactly known for putting “butts in the seat” either, but we saw what happened. 

You're right, that was definitely a situation almost nobody saw coming/predicted. I guess I'm just tempering my expectations because right now I just don't see it doing super amazing.

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Joaquin was one of those rare instances when an actor and a role are the perfect blend. His performance was so good it got him an Oscar. I don't see the same thing happening with RPatz and batman

This. people forget that blend of actor and character boosted interest in Joker. Also, the movie looked different. No matter what one thinks of it aping Taxi Driver, the audience felt that they saw something. The Batman trailer, while very well put together, still looks like a Batman movie. Nothing we haven't seen before. 

• Like 1

Just now, Maggie said:

Joaquin was one of those rare instances when an actor and a role are the perfect blend. His performance was so good it got him an Oscar. I don't see the same thing happening with RPatz and batman

Winning Oscars with SH movies aren't usual tho, only 2 actors get that and both playing Joker.

RPatz is definitely not winning an Oscar for Batman but he doesn't need that to blend with the character and pleased the audiences too, he probably already did that with the trailers alone. When he was casted there was riots, now it's hard seeing anyone complaining and people are very excited.

Was just commenting about this off thread, but I'm struck by how down to earth this film looks.  Even out-Nolaning Nolan when it comes to "real world"-ish vibes.

It was crystalized when I got a really good look at the batmobile:

FB2hI-VWQAAnc-R?format=jpg&name=small

That actually looks  like something one could see on a street and not a glorified/painted over tank.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 9

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Joaquin Phoenix wasn’t exactly known for putting “butts in the seat” either, but we saw what happened. 

There's a difference between actors who put butts in seats, and people liking the idea of a famous actor, who may not put butts in seats, playing a specific character. Emma Watson didn't put butts in seats (that was HP brand) but people were hyped to see her as Belle. And Joaquin had an image of a weird recluse which was perfect for Joker. 

RDJ didn't put butts in seats either but he was a perfect match for Tony Stark. More so than someone who actually puts butts in seats such as Tom Cruise who lacks RDJ's smarminess that made Tony stand out. 

We'll see what happens with RBatz. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Was just commenting about this off thread, but I'm struck by how down to earth this film looks.  Even out-Nolaning Nolan when it comes to "real world"-ish vibes.

It was crystalized when I got a really good look at the batmobile:

FB2hI-VWQAAnc-R?format=jpg&name=small

That actually looks  like something one could see on a street and not a glorified/painted over tank.

Really, just the entire tone and feel of the trailer was, and I already know this term is being over used, but... grounded.

Also looks kinda intimate in both emotional stakes and scope, which is another change of pace for a lot of recent superhero flicks.

Mind it does look to have plenty of comic relief (Colin Farrell is gonna be a hoot, I can tell) so it won't all be an emo-fest.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for minimalist Batman so color me.. intrigued.  Not sold yet  — simply, intrigued.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Yeah but your down on every single movie and every single actor and every single scenario. I just multiply what you say by 3 and add 12 and then square it and get to some reasonable expectation.

I was hesitant about another "dark" Batman but this looks impressively raw and grounded. Not a Reeves fan but I'm excited and I can see the influences and intentions. Just awesome to be reminded of how comic movies should look--some absolutely stunning imagery and textures. Real sense of scale. Pattinson and Zoe are killing it. 

I don't think this looks that down to earth tbh. Feels larger than most films in the genre but maybe that's because they're trying to bring something more maximalist to a grounded setting (like with TDKR, which feels larger in scale than any superhero film since). In other words, I dug this trailer. A Batman movie where the objective is to make everything look cool as possible seems like fun to me. Still think Matt Reeves is a hack tho, but unlike another Nolan copy-cat, this guy actually knows how to make things look cool without the movie looking like a car-commercial.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Gotham looks so good here. Its feels realistic ala Nolan but with an added layer towards the Burton world. The overall visual style is very David Fincher but the camera angles on some of shot are Michael Bay esque. 

This is going to get a ton of technical Oscar noms. 

• Like 1