Eric Duncan

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

48 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Well, I care! :lol:

Obviously he's not the draw but a compelling Bruce is usually a good bellwether for the quality of these movies. And Pattinson's will certainly be pretty different given what we've seen so far.

One of the great things about Keaton's Batman was that he was in fact a great Bruce Wayne and a great Batman.  Same for Christian Bale (the "a guy who dresses up like a bat clearly has issues" line is still a definitive Bruce Wayne moment, IMO).

In a way, it's been said that there are three Batman characters:

Bruce Wayne

Batman

The Dark Knight

With Batman himself being the synthesis of his Bruce Wayne persona and The Dark Knight hard-edge near amoral only care about vengeance/justice persona.  The best actors in the part are the ones who can deliver all three facets of the character.  IMO, naturally.  

ETA:   It's long form storytelling, so naturally there's more room for it, but one of the things that was so great about the Timm/Dini cartoons was that it spent time developing the character of Bruce Wayne and not just Batman.  In a movie you don't have as much time to devote to that, but, yes I do think it's important to work on it at least a bit.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

Bruce is an interesting character because he so clearly hates being Bruce and counts down the moments until he can throw the Batsuit on. Compare that to most other superheroes who struggle with balance of maintaining both or just plainly dislike the burdens of being a hero. This movie should really delve into his sociopathy and split personality 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know if I’d say he’s the dumbest voice, considering the overabundance of anti-SJW pop culture reactionaries on YouTube, as well as the fact that Ben Shapiro of all people is apparently trying his hand at film criticism, but Bob Chipman definitely has some baffling takes. He seems convinced that this movie will be seen as some kind of validation for the QAnon crowd. 

Bob Chipman is like the wannabe spiritual successor to Devin Faraci, and thats not a compliment to Devin Faraci.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 12:16 PM, Porthos said:

Likes might be a more interesting story.

2020 DC Fandome Trailer:  34.8m views | 993k up 23k down

2021 DC Fandome Trailer:  19.5m views | 846k up 17k down

@Let There Be Legion, any thoughts on this since you've got a better handle on YT likes than I do?

26 hours later:

2021 DC Fandome Trailer:  23.3m views | 905k up 19k down

About 2.25k likes per hour, more or less (which I was seeing during the day yesterday as well).  Pace is gonna slow, but now maybe a decent chance likes on this will pass the likes on the 2020 Fandome trailer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Meh on Joker but she'd kill it as The Phantasm opposite Battinson

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

no way it's that low

To be fair, Actor pay should be quite low considering it has not have any big stars and it wont be that much CGI heavy like Planet of the Apes movie that Reeves made. That said 100m sounds low in 2021 looking at how expensive production costs are plus this has been in pre-production for so long(from Batfleck days as an actor/director). 

21 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

To be fair, Actor pay should be quite low considering it has not have any big stars and it wont be that much CGI heavy like Planet of the Apes movie that Reeves made. That said 100m sounds low in 2021 looking at how expensive production costs are plus this has been in pre-production for so long(from Batfleck days as an actor/director). 

I believe I read Battison is being paid 3M for it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ronin46 said:

I believe I read Battison is being paid 3M for it. 

Yup, he is.

Walter Hamada(head of DC films)was also brought in from New Line cause he’s apparently very good at doing a lot with less money. 

I have no idea what the budget is though, I’m sure we’ll find out what it is eventually but I don’t think it would be over 130-140m. 

• Like 1

Trailer 1 Youtube numbers:

1. Filmselect - 38m

2. WB Main - 35m

3. 1 Media - 11m

4. Movie Cover - 9.5m

5. Movie Clips - 5.9m 

6. SensaCine - 5.4m

7. IGN - 3.9m

8. Ingresso - 3.8m

9. WB UK - 3.3.m

10. IGN - 3.1m

11. Smasher - 3.1m

12. Melhoras - 2.3m

13. Filmactu - 2.3m

14. DC - 2m

15. Filmsect - 1.9

in total, well over 150m views.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Also Reeves said they used no green screens, just the Stagecraft tech

• Like 1

If it weren't for the Nolan trilogy I'd be more jazzed for this. But I'm really high on that trilogy and despite some stylistic differences this seems to be covering similar and familiar territory. And I'm not fond of Penguin having a new yawk accent. What sets him apart from any mafioso is that he's a high society type with the voice to go with it. 

Paul Dano as Riddler is the main reason I may end up watching it in theaters. 

At some point, when you're in your thirties and you've seen three (four if you count Schumacher as his own) different iterations of Batman come and go, a fourth/fifth continuity feels like too much. Unless they do Beyond at some point. I want that. 

Edited by tonytr87

52 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

If it weren't for the Nolan trilogy I'd be more jazzed for this. But I'm really high on that trilogy and despite some stylistic differences this seems to be covering similar and familiar territory. And I'm not fond of Penguin having a new yawk accent. What sets him apart from any mafioso is that he's a high society type with the voice to go with it. 

Paul Dano as Riddler is the main reason I may end up watching it in theaters. 

At some point, when you're in your thirties and you've seen three (four if you count Schumacher as his own) different iterations of Batman come and go, a fourth/fifth continuity feels like too much. Unless they do Beyond at some point. I want that. 

Nolan ended near 10 years ago. So hard to believe for those for those of who followed from the day he was hired in Jan 2003, but the world has moved on. this will pwn

4 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

Try being in your mid-forties.  😉  I've seen every Batman movie in theaters since 1989, and will probably continue to do so.  And yet I'm no longer an uber-comic book fan; I'm just interested in how the character's translated slightly differently every time.  That's genre.  

He's Warner Bros.' James Bond -- he will be around forever.  But yeah, it would be nice to see some different villains...like Clayface...Hush...or a more "serious" Mr. Freeze.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4