Eric Atreides

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

Hey,

You might be confused at this new thread with zero replies focusing on the highly-anticipated release of 2021's The Batman. Wasn't there a thread in 2011 that had hundreds upon hundreds of replies already attached? Well, yes. And sadly, it's now lost.

Long story short, the original thread was created by an older member many may know as Dexter of Suburbia. Dexter and his account was recently marked as spam due to a severe case of mistaken identity and not because Dexter is a spam account, which resulted in the deletion of the former Batman thread, and likely many other threads he started. So alas, our former thread, that saw speculation on the post-Nolan Batman, discussion on the Batfleck release, and the build-up to this new installment, has been lost to the sands of time. It's unfortunate, but what are you gonna do?

This thread will be the starting point for all further news and discussion on this upcoming release. Convenient timing, since the UK government is beginning to allow high-end productions in their territory (though obviously that doesn't mean Warner Bros. will start right away).

Y'all know the rules at this point. No trolling, no fanboy wars. Be nice, keep it clean, don't do anything stupid. Have fun!

• Like 2

Here I was thinking I was permanent banned from it! :ban:

Really hopes this moves to Christmas and shoves Avatar 2 back. This would do insane numbers over the holidays. 

Edited by excel1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

thank you for kowtowing to my demands and deleting that thread because of that post in it where i said Robert Pattinson would have no interest in playing Batman.

Are you sure about that?

On 5/7/2019 at 3:32 PM, CoolioD1 said:

Pattinson I don’t think is gonna do that stuff. His recent press tour he made it seem like he’s still very nervy about joining any franchise/blockbuster type project. He’s doing the Nolan thing cos it’s a Nolan thing. He’s very auteur based in his picks these days.

• Astonished 1

I just love the October date for this. The first weekend of October has been lucrative for certain films in recent years (2013: Gravity; 2015: The Martian; 2018: Venom/A Star is Born; 2019: Joker) and October just feels so....Batman-ish. 

The other reason movies on this date have flourished is because they have their own lengthy period to flourish before the holidays start in mid November. The same will be true for The Batman. I'd rather that than adding one more big film to the always stacked holiday slate.

16 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I just love the October date for this. The first weekend of October has been lucrative for certain films in recent years (2013: Gravity; 2015: The Martian; 2018: Venom/A Star is Born; 2019: Joker) and October just feels so....Batman-ish. 

The other reason movies on this date have flourished is because they have their own lengthy period to flourish before the holidays start in mid November. The same will be true for The Batman. I'd rather that than adding one more big film to the always stacked holiday slate.

Batman is an IP that could challenge $275m+ opening weekend if it reached its highest potential. It is 2nd to only Star Wars historically at the domestic box office. BATMAN, BATMAN RETURNS, BATMAN FOREVER, and THE DARK KNIGHT all broke the opening weekend admissions record. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES almost certainly would have done it had there been no shooting. 

Opening in October to $125m or $140m is not good whatsoever given the power of the brand. The brand belongs in blockbuster season. Opening it in December would give it insane potential should it scare Avatar away. 

Edited by excel1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

:sadno:

It is 2nd to only Star Wars historically at the domestic box office. BATMAN, BATMAN RETURNS, BATMAN FOREVER, and THE DARK KNIGHT all broke the opening weekend admissions record. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES almost certainly would have done it had there been no shooting.

Don't think gritty, R-rated JOKER would have done anything resembling it's gross it wasn't related to Batman...

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

It is 2nd to only Star Wars historically at the domestic box office. BATMAN, BATMAN RETURNS, BATMAN FOREVER, and THE DARK KNIGHT all broke the opening weekend admissions record. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES almost certainly would have done it had there been no shooting.

Don't think gritty, R-rated JOKER would have done anything resembling it's gross it wasn't related to Batman...

This is a new Batman after the Affleck failure. It will be more akin to Batman Begins, a new beginning for the franchise. RPatz is not gonna bring more fans to the franchise. The Twilight moms don't care about Batman. Joker was lightning in a bottle...the union of a famous character with an Oscar winning performance by an acclaimed actor. RPatz is nobody to american audiences. Don't confuse him with Edward Cullen

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

I said this in the old thread at some point last year, but since that’s been deleted, I guess I’ll say it again: it’s kind of unfortunate to me that we’re back at square one with Batman. I know Matt Reeves has said that this movie isn’t supposed to be an origin story, but I wish we didn’t have to get used to another new Batman so soon. I would’ve liked to have seen the character receive an Iron Man style send-off in a cinematic universe where other DC heroes exist, but now that won’t ever happen. 

Also, before anyone responds, yes, I’m aware that they’re rebooting Batman because Ben Affleck didn’t want to stay in the role anymore due to a variety of personal reasons. I get that. I’m not blaming anyone involved in this film for choosing to give Batman a fresh start. Hell, after what happened with BvS and JL, that’s probably what I would’ve done. I’m just expressing how unfortunate I think it is that Affleck‘s run as the character was such a disaster. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Batman is an IP that could challenge $275m+ opening weekend if it reached its highest potential. It is 2nd to only Star Wars historically at the domestic box office. BATMAN, BATMAN RETURNS, BATMAN FOREVER, and THE DARK KNIGHT all broke the opening weekend admissions record. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES almost certainly would have done it had there been no shooting. 

Opening in October to $125m or $140m is not good whatsoever given the power of the brand. The brand belongs in blockbuster season. Opening it in December would give it insane potential should it scare Avatar away. 

I see your point, but I think what we've learned at the box office lately is that any movie well done and well recieved can succeed anywhere, at least as far as opening weekend is concerned. Overall domestic total is a different story. Total gross can definitely be helped or hindered depending on the time of the year (aka Christmas).

We saw It explode for a $123.4M opening in early September! The weekend after Labor Day weekend. Whatever opening The Batman has over the October 1-3 weekend I sincerely believe would be the biggest it would have anywhere on the calendar. People who are interested aren't not going to show up just because it's not summer or Christmas.