Eric Atreides

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'd totally love a Batman film that's closer to the Burton films and it sucks that all that audiences seem to want is a dark and gritty version. Even saying that the production design in the Burton films is great gets you "but it looks so fake" comments lol. 

Most live action superhero media has pretty much spent over a decade now bludgeoning audiences into accepting worlds that just look like our normal gray boring world, in which these goofy-ass costumed fighters, super-beings, aliens or whoever are then simply plonked and that's it. Good way to have your cake and eat it too, encourage people to think they're watching something grounded and weighty and (in terms of setting) recognizable without requiring any effort that goes into watching something that actually is those things. And the more they do it, the more insecure it comes across. The end of the trailer is the issue in a nutshell - ok, here we have a Batman who methodically beats a goon into a pulp, real impressive shit, but why do I suspect this isn't gonna have enough courage of its convictions to show us what the result of that looks like?

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

A bit off topic but just to acclaim the event: the reactions for everything were overwhelming. Not only for the news and releases but the event itself. They probably would have done this on CCXP Brazil in December but not possible this year due to the situation.

Since yesterday it's trending on Twitter and the trailers/official arts are getting lots of acclaims all over the internet. Batman, as expect, overshadowed everyone.

For example, now on TT: #DCFandome (1.2 million), Batman (540k), Robert Pattinson (230k), Bruce Wayne (60k), Zoe Kravitz (20k) and Christian Bale (6k) are on TT right now. Coringa (Joker in portuguese) is too.

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Most live action superhero media has pretty much spent over a decade now bludgeoning audiences into accepting worlds that just look like our normal gray boring world, in which these goofy-ass costumed fighters, super-beings, aliens or whoever are then simply plonked and that's it. Good way to have your cake and eat it too, encourage people to think they're watching something grounded and weighty and (in terms of setting) recognizable without requiring any effort that goes into watching something that actually is those things. And the more they do it, the more insecure it comes across. The end of the trailer is the issue in a nutshell - ok, here we have a Batman who methodically beats a goon into a pulp, real impressive shit, but why do I suspect this isn't gonna have enough courage of its convictions to show us what the result of that looks like?

Sir, this is a Denny’s.

Spoiler

tenor.gif?itemid=15656389

Edited by MrGamer
  • Thanks 1

Also I love Nirvana. They give me goosebumps anytime they're added to a trailer.

And Pattinson's voice is already one of the best.

Up there with Keaton.

And the Se7en influence, the Batmobile and the batsuit...

Yeah I can't see how anyone complains about this.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Off topic a bit again but we don’t have a Fandome thread.

I really hope DC/WB see the response to this event and do something like this every year, it was really awesome. 

Grim mentioned this in the Telegram chat, but he thinks Fandome could morph into WB's own D23, where they do this kind of stuff biannually, but with all of WB's properties. Honestly sounds like a fun idea, and Fandome left a good groundwork in terms of structure and presentation, although I'm sure Warner would probably want to do a full-fledged convention when it's safe to do so (even though I'd prefer both this and D23 to follow this free digital format, but I'm not a corporate executive, so what do I know?)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Kinda felt like I was watching a trailer for a remake of The Crow at points. I don’t know, I feel like the tone is a bit too brooding for me. I just honestly still have no real interest in a new Batman reboot after the Nolan trilogy, even nearly a decade later. 

Nolan trilogy is the gold standard, but no reason we can't have more Batman films, and no reason future Batman films can't be really good as well. Now, will this be as good as TDK. No. No superhero film is as good as TDK, but that doesn't mean this won't be good.