Eric Atreides

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

The director who made the last planet of the apes a concentration camp movie was probably never going to make a light batman film. 

And that’s fine. It’s not like the MCU is ever going to do this tone so WB might as we’ll plant its flag in that corner of the market.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Merkel said:

There's a different between being dark and being mean. And this Batman feels mean. Can't really put my finger on it, but based solely of what we've seen so far, something is not sitting well with me

Tbh, that's what excites me. We saw, for all intents and purposes, a lunatic Batman in BvS, but this one looks like a movie that might just... Yiu know, actually ADDRESS that. Noir detective story, with the hero clearly on the edge - I trust Reeves can make it compelling and still make us root for him. 

Anyway, if nothing else, think it's fair to say Fandome was a success for WB. The one downside I can see is that The Batman kinda overshadowed everything, but that was inevitable as long as they were gonna show footage. 

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Merkel said:

There's a different between being dark and being mean. And this Batman feels mean. Can't really put my finger on it, but based solely of what we've seen so far, something is not sitting well with me

That's. The. Point.  Reeves here has explained in vague but clear-enough terms that he IS going to explore more of the idea of what would people really be thinking if this kind of guy showed up and started doing the things he did...  And you know, no one's perfect at their job when they start out...for some, it takes years of progression and finite development.  I hope that's what we're going to see more of here...an imperfect guy in the field, as well as in his head. 

Also a good idea to consider that maybe the film's perspective is not entirely from Batman or Alfred or even Gordon's POV.  Maybe some of the POV will be from people who are deservedly skeptical of this guy's motives...maybe even... Riddler?

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

That's. The. Point.  Reeves here has explained in vague but clear-enough terms that he IS going to explore more of the idea of what would people really be thinking if this kind of guy showed up and started doing the things he did...  And you know, no one's perfect at their job when they start out...for some, it takes years of progression and finite development.  I hope that's what we're going to see more of here...an imperfect guy in the field, as well as in his head. 

Also a good idea to consider that maybe the film's perspective is not entirely from Batman or Alfred or even Gordon's POV.  Maybe some of the POV will be from people who are deservedly skeptical of this guy's motives!

I'm sure that's the point, nobody does this on accident. I will surely see this in the theater, I'm just a bit skeptical at this point

11 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Snyder’s batman was mean and it was indeed crap. Hopefully if this one is also mean it at least has some larger point to the meanness and it’s not just the projected nihilism of its director. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Merkel said:

"You're part of this too"

"How am I a part of this?"

"You'll see."

It seems pretty clear that what you are describing is what the movie is about.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, belblazer said:

EgDMdgwXkAYISIN?format=jpg&name=large

EgCzimlXkAAfPGP?format=jpg&name=large

EgDMeEyXYAECWcK?format=jpg&name=large

EgCziy8X0AEuMT5?format=jpg&name=large

EgDMekeWkAApPMI?format=jpg&name=large

EgCzi_aXoAIbmTE?format=jpg&name=large

EgDMfI5WoAAAhSY?format=jpg&name=large

EgCziZQXsAQgKRx?format=jpg&name=large

A bit off topic but the new game looks amazing. The Arkham Knight is one of the best games I've ever played.

I enjoyed Arkham Knight save the way-too-obvious "twist" which fizzles out and the overuse of the Goddamn Batmobile. I do hope the bikes aren't too present here. 

Also, I'm all about single player. So I hope it's not over-reliant on co-op or whatever and it's a good single player story, with none of the micro-transaction shit and the option to play as all of the four characters as you go through the campaign. Otherwise, looks good. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Only one problem with this trailer....

The movie is 14 months way and i want to see it NOW

It's actually the first time DC releases a trailer with over a year away of a movies release since Suicide Squad (first trailer on 07/2015). The plan was release this at CCXP in december but due to the pandemic situation it isn't possible.

Justice League also had first official footage on 07/2016.

• Like 1

BvS did address Batman’s brutality. You can say that it didn’t do a good job of addressing it, but it definitely tried to make a point about how much more brutal and nihilistic he’s become. Him trying to kill Superman is very much presented as a bad thing, and his ending monologue in the film is supposed to show how he’s started to lose his nihilism. 

55 minutes ago, Merkel said:

I think realistically you're not going to strike fear in hardened criminal without a gruesome display of brutal violence.

If criminals aren't afraid of Batman he's not going to last very long.

In that scene, he's clearly outnumbered so without any guns what's to prevent those thugs from jumping him?

Fear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, belblazer said:

It's actually the first time DC releases a trailer with over a year away of a movies release since Suicide Squad (first trailer on 07/2015). The plan was release this at CCXP in december but due to the pandemic situation it isn't possible.

Justice League also had first official footage on 07/2016.

Yeah. But JL did not get my blood pumping.. This does.. Fantastic trailer

Ok... this is scary, the trailer has now surpassed 20 million views on Twitter. The account was opened literally yesterday just to post the trailer.

Twitter:

The Batman - 20,2 million

Warner Bros Brasil - 2,4 million

IGN - 775,000

Fandango - 765,000

Rotten Tomatoes - 310,000

Filmsteria - 101,000

random account - 350,000

= 24,901,000

Youtube:

Warner Bros - 9,1 million

IGN - 2,1 million

Movie Coverage - 1,8 million

Movieclip Trailers - 1,6 million

IGN - 1,3 million

DC - 910,000

ingresso.com - 722,000

Warner Bros UK - 721,000

Sensacine Trailers - 548,000

Movie Trailers Source - 523,000

JaBlo Movie Trailers - 486,000

Sensacine Trailers - 369,000

Kinocheck International - 334,000

Warner Bros Brasil - 287,000

FilmsActu - 251,000

Melhores Trailers de Filmes - 208,000

Warner Bros Thailand - 156,000

Melhores Trailers de Filmes - 153,000

Fresh Movie Trailers - 141,000

ONE Media - 140,000

Warner Bros España - 128,000

Warner Bros Italia - 118,000

= 22,095,000

Facebook:

Batman - 7,3 million

IGN - 1,8 million

Rotten Tomatoes - 1,1 million

Warner Bros - 490,000

= 10,690,000

Instagram:

Batman - 802,000

Warner Bros - 784,000

Warner Bros Enter. - 179,000

Warner Bros Brasil - 134,000

= 1,899,000

Vimeo:

Matt Reeves - 266,000

= 266,000

Total - 59,851,000 (38 accounts; 5 social media)

There are of course lots of accounts but this is what I found.

Edited by belblazer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

On youtube it has over 500k likes. It's great, but not comparable to other rivals' likes. Some had over 1M. But there's still time

It doesn't mean much. DC only has one movie with over 1 million likes on Youtube (Joker). The Batman will reach soon.

I think the MCU only reached this milestone with Infinity War and the following movies (FFH, CM, BW, and Endgame).

• Like 1