Eric Atreides

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

11 minutes ago, belblazer said:

What makes me think is what will they do with Bataffleck? kill him? makes no sense just pretend that he doesn't exist since Flash will possibly bring Keaton to Earth 1.

I'm assuming that because it's saying that he will appear in other DCEU movies too.

Maybe that’s the “graceful exit” Affleck was always talking about.  

4 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Meanwhile they don't have time for a Superman film.

They have the time and the money, they're just choosing not to.  I love how angry people get about this.  It's all business.  Batsy is their golden cash cow, obviously.  Supes still remains "problematic" and a "risky investment" with Cavill and for the big screen (due in no small part to where Snyder and the studio took him in MoS and post-sequel-debacles). 

Edited by Macleod

5 hours ago, belblazer said:

What makes me think is what will they do with Bataffleck? kill him? makes no sense just pretend that he doesn't exist since Flash will possibly bring Keaton to Earth 1.

I'm assuming that because it's saying that he will appear in other DCEU movies too.

This creates bat-brain-freezes for me, too.  Will Keaton's Batsy be the new Earth 1 "reality"?  Because if Flash actually "brings" him over...will he be bringing through the "glowy thing" portal all of Keaton's Batcave and kit, as well?  😂

As long as it makes just a little more sense than Flash's dream appearance in BvS...I'm good.  🤣   

("AM I TOO SOON??")

the-flash-batman-v-superman-1097546-1280

Edited by Macleod
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Macleod said:

They have the time and the money, they're just choosing not to.  I love how angry people get about this.  It's all business.  Batsy is their golden cash cow, obviously.  Supes still remains "problematic" and a "risky investment" with Cavill and for the big screen (due in no small part to where Snyder and the studio took him in MoS and post-sequel-debacles). 

Bruh we all know why DC continues to fall back on Batman and monetary wise it's a sound decision. Doesn't mean people have to like it necessarily especially with Superman left out.

16 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Bruh we all know why DC continues to fall back on Batman and monetary wise it's a sound decision. Doesn't mean people have to like it necessarily especially with Superman left out.

Understood.  I would love to see another "great" Superman movie, too... I just don't think it can be done in this current era/reality, so I understand Warners' perspective.  Maybe J.J. will actually Trek-it-out again... 😉

10 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

But they keep liking it which is the reason DC has less of an incentive to explore its other characters.

Also, Cavill going around claiming he is still Superman as far as he's concerned but also not exactly cooperating with the studio (case in point, the Shazam cameo) doesn't really help for Superman. At least Affleck was clear about his decision to leave, allowing Reeves to recast.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 3:19 AM, Macleod said:

Superman is just not a very interesting character.

7 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Superman is just not a very interesting character.

If people can consider Captain America to be an interesting character, there’s no reason Superman can’t also be regarded as such. He’s not as flashy as Batman, but   he can be a compelling character in his own right.  

• Like 4

Just now, WittyUsername said:

If people can consider Captain America to be an interesting character, there’s no reason Superman can’t also be regarded as such. He’s not as flashy as Batman, but   he can be a compelling character in his own right.  

I agree that there are ways to do Superman right, but I don’t think the Captain America comparison is quite right. There are two basic “problems” (not really problems, necessarily, but... challenges from a narrative perspective) with Superman:

too goody two shoes/straight laced/wholesome

too powerful   

Captain America shares the first challenge, but he’s barely super powered, so it’s easier to give him practical challenges in the form of opponents that are too powerful for him without being goofy powerful overall. On the other hand Captain Marvel shares the “too powerful” narrative challenge (at least imo) but isn’t as much of the goody two shoes stereotype.       

Dealing with both at once in a way that audiences are engaged by is *possible,* but I think you do need a better writer than usual to pull it off well.

• Like 2