Eric Duncan

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

On 1/11/2021 at 1:43 PM, AndyK said:

Superman is just not a very interesting character.

I think he is a more difficult  charecter to write well about then Batman. With Batsy you have an inherent darkness that makes for an interesting charecter that SUpes just does not have. You also have the "boy scout" issue to deal with. DC could take how Feige handled Captain America .a potentially very corny charecter here.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 1:52 PM, WittyUsername said:

If people can consider Captain America to be an interesting character, there’s no reason Superman can’t also be regarded as such. He’s not as flashy as Batman, but   he can be a compelling character in his own right.  

True,but he is more difficult to write well then Batman.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I think he is a more difficult  charecter to write well about then Batman. With Batsy you have an inherent darkness that makes for an interesting charecter that SUpes just does not have. You also have the "boy scout" issue to deal with. DC could take how Feige handled Captain America .a potentially very corny charecter here.

They've done everything there is do with him.

Even Captain America is easier to write as he is a reflection of something exterior, like the concept of America and its various systems. It's why subjects like America's role in WW2, government corruption, and the rights of citizens fit him like a glove. Superman is a reflection of something very internal, the potential of humanity to be true and just.* That's harder to pull off without coming across as cheesy.

I mean, you can just make a Superman as a laser blasting tank movie too but people will come for you then too.

*"the American way" was added later to his slogan by the radio show during the World War 2 era, it's not necessarily one of his core values.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

*"the American way" was added later to his slogan by the radio show during the World War 2 era, it's not necessarily one of his core values.

But many American fans still see him that way...cemented further from the indelible cultural impact of the early Donner/Reeve films... and therein lies the dilemma.... Hugely complicated, actually.  I can see why Warners remains frustrated.  

Edited by Macleod

On 1/30/2021 at 1:46 AM, Macleod said:

But many American fans still see him that way...cemented further from the indelible cultural impact of the early Donner/Reeve films... and therein lies the dilemma.... Hugely complicated, actually.  I can see why Warners remains frustrated.  

If it hadn't been for BvS, I would have been interested in Superman vs. The Elite where The Elite are kind of the flipped, villainous versions of The Boys and Superman is actually the real deal unlike Homelander. BvS tried to do it, but it could only go to a certain degree without vilifying Batman, who was in the role of Billy Butcher, too much (also, it was more pre-occupied with setting up the Justice League).

As things stand now, I think maybe the next outing for Supes would be an alternate universe take on Superman: Red Son. Wasn't a big fan of the original story but last year's animated movie adaptation was really strong, save for the climax (but that can be fixed). As it was an AU story, it was freed up of all the constraints that BvS had when it came to the characterizations of Batman, Superman and co.

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

If it hadn't been for BvS, I would have been interested in Superman vs. The Elite where The Elite are kind of the flipped, villainous versions of The Boys and Superman is actually the real deal unlike Homelander. BvS tried to do it, but it could only go to a certain degree without vilifying Batman, who was in the role of Billy Butcher, too much (also, it was more pre-occupied with setting up the Justice League).

As things stand now, I think maybe the next outing for Supes would be an alternate universe take on Superman: Red Son. Wasn't a big fan of the original story but last year's animated movie adaptation was really strong, save for the climax (but that can be fixed). As it was an AU story, it was freed up of all the constraints that BvS had when it came to the characterizations of Batman, Superman and co.

You fake ass bitch.

(Unrelated to your post).

8 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The last thing we need is another evil Superman story. 

42 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Red Son is not an evil Superman story.

It involves a Superman with a warped sense of morality. Stories like that are overdone at this point. 

Anyway, we’re getting off topic here. This is supposed to be a thread about Robert Pattinson’s Batman. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

It involves a Superman with a warped sense of morality. Stories like that are overdone at this point. 

He's still one of the most moral characters in the story and Red Son doesn't compare to dumb shit like Brightburn or a straight up evil Superman like in The Boys. 

Just now, Lucas said:

Can you elaborate for us fine folk in the peanut gallery.

They’re implying that the Batman movie has a Lexcorp tower or a reference to him in the movie which I guess would imply there’s some form of Superman on his earth 2.  That’s just me guessing but I think that’s what they mean.