Eric Atreides

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's probably gonna increase the quality too. The best looking Gotham Cities are the ones that were created in studio (the Burton and Schumacher films).

Conversely it could wind up looking like most block-busters that are shot on sound stages, lol

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

Conversely it could wind up looking like most block-busters that are shot on sound stages, lol

Yeah, I hope they build proper sets here instead of green-screening stuff. On the other hand, Greg Fraiser is doing the cinematography here and he worked on The Mandalorian where they built sets like this: 

Unreal-Star-Wars-set-with-people-760x380

which they could use for a lot of stuff, espescially exterior shots instead of green screen.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

On 7/13/2020 at 4:37 PM, lorddemaxus said:

The best looking Gotham Cities are the ones that were created in studio (the Burton and Schumacher films).

linkin park no GIF by Spotify

Don't get me wrong, the Burton Gotham was an interesting design choice, and it worked for that movie, but I can't see it working for this. As for the Schumacher ones... God no. Gotham feeling like a real city helped TDK trilogy tremendously. I don't want the same thing with this version, but an obviously fake-looking sound stage is not good either.

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Which is great for a comic. Live-action... No. 

These are superhero movies though. The Burton and Schumacher movies actually looked like superhero movies. And the Burton Gotham wasn't just an interesting design choice lol. It's probably the most accurate one.

And the last Planet of the Apes movie seems to have been mostly shot on sets too so I wouldn't be worried about it looking like a comic book (which I don't mind either). 

I think a lot of people forget that about 90% of Batman Begins and more than half of TDK was shot entirely on soundstages in London. 

While I'm frankly more of a fan of the Burton/Schumacher approach of extreme stylization, it is entirely possible to achieve a realistic look while shooting on stage. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst

37 minutes ago, TerwillikerInst said:

I think a lot of people forget that about 90% of Batman Begins and more than half of TDK was shot entirely on soundstages in London. 

While I'm frankly more of a fan of the Burton/Schumacher approach of extreme stylization, it is entirely possible to achieve a realistic look while shooting on stage. 

Wait, half of TDK was shot on a soundstage? I thought it was mostly shot in Chicago?

36 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Wait, half of TDK was shot on a soundstage? I thought it was mostly shot in Chicago?

I can't say for sure whether it was exactly half of the movie, but certainly a good chunk of it was. They did shoot in Chicago for many of the exterior scenes but plenty of the interior ones were done on stage. 

The courtrooms, the vault, the construction site, the ferries, the hospital rooms, Wayne Enterprises, and the police headquarters were shot on stages at either Pinewood, Cardington, or the Farmiloe Building. 

10 minutes ago, TerwillikerInst said:

I can't say for sure whether it was exactly half of the movie, but certainly at least 40% was. They did shoot on location in Chicago for many of the exterior scenes but plenty of the interior ones were done on stage. 

The courtrooms, the vault, the construction site, the ferries, the hospital rooms, Wayne Enterprises, and the police headquarters were shot on stages at either Pinewood, Cardington, or the Farmiloe Building. 

Wasn’t the hospital filmed at an abandoned candy factory?

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Wasn’t the hospital filmed at an abandoned candy factory?

From what I've read, it was just the exterior as the interior resembled nothing like a hospital. 

CG-20140701-CRED06-701009999-4.jpeg

:Edit: I went back and rewatched all the scenes inside the Hospital and yeah, they shot it on a soundstage. 

The painted backing they use behind the "window" actually makes no geographical sense when compared with the exterior of the building and looks kinda fake in 4K.

HB1o7kL.png

The technology wasn't really quite there in 1989 to truly bring these designs to life, but Anton Furst's Gotham City is the best conceptualization of the fictional city so far, in any medium:

77a5d84329fd7584a90adfee8dcea13b.jpg

Oldgotham-5.jpg

Oldgotham-3.jpg

I wish Nolan had brought half of the character, atmosphere and uniqueness to his version of Gotham City.

Batman would work so well in a big budget animated film. They could do it in a quasi black and white style and it could look stunning

• Like 2

Nolan's realism of Gotham was needed after the insanity of the Schumacher films. Batman was not considered cool at all until Nolan redefined him. In doing so, after 3 extremely popular films, Nolan recreated the demand for a more creative version of the character. 

17 hours ago, Merkel said:

The technology wasn't really quite there in 1989 to truly bring these designs to life, but Anton Furst's Gotham City is the best conceptualization of the fictional city so far, in any medium:

77a5d84329fd7584a90adfee8dcea13b.jpg

Oldgotham-5.jpg

Oldgotham-3.jpg

I wish Nolan had brought half of the character, atmosphere and uniqueness to his version of Gotham City.

Batman would work so well in a big budget animated film. They could do it in a quasi black and white style and it could look stunning

I'm slightly more partial to Bo Welch's more Art Deco retro-futurist refinement of this look for Batman Returns but Furst's work is stunning. Every Gotham City since the 90s been kind of a downgrade. 

My personal favorite attempt at a "realistic" Gotham City was probably the one in Batman Begins, with the extensive network of citywide monorails that magically disappeared in the sequels. 

On 7/15/2020 at 9:33 PM, lorddemaxus said:

These are superhero movies though. The Burton and Schumacher movies actually looked like superhero movies. And the Burton Gotham wasn't just an interesting design choice lol. It's probably the most accurate one.

And the last Planet of the Apes movie seems to have been mostly shot on sets too so I wouldn't be worried about it looking like a comic book (which I don't mind either). 

There is plenty that can be done on a sound stage to make it look realistic and/or good. That's not the issue. My issue is the aesthetic choice for Burton and ESPECIALLY Schumacher was not good. Burton's in particular made it feel small - not oppressing or claustrophobic, just small. Some of it was down to the limitations of the studio but most of it was the design aesthetic. Schumacher's was just...too nonsensical, and not in an interesting way.

And to your point of them being comic book movies - focus on "movies", not the comic book part. What works on the page doesn't always translate well into live action.

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

What works on the page doesn't always translate well into live action.

Burton's aesthetic absolutely works in live-action though. There's a reason Batman 1989 won the academy award for Best Art Direction. It's a unique and fascinating combination of both gothic and dystopian architecture that makes Gotham more of a character than it ever was in the 21st century movies. And how did the design choices make anything feel small? You seem to be conflating problems with the limitations of film production in the 1980s with the design choices.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1