SLAM!

Best Animated Feature - 2020

37 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

In a year with no many options, do you think "Mortal Kombat Legend's Scorpion's Revenge has a change? It has done well among public and critics...

I think it has as good of a chance as the film based on Final Fantasy XV from a few years ago. I'm happy there's another film that could be on the submission list, though.

5 hours ago, RealLyre said:

Wolfwalkers debuts with 94 on MC. could probably land a nomination for Apple TV+ if they campaign for it. it's from the same studio as Song of the Sea and the Breadwinner which both were nominated.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/wolfwalkers

I think if Disney decides not to release Soul by the end of February, then I can see Wolfwalkers contending with Onward for the win. After a fruitful three nominations, the Oscars are in a good position to give Cartoon Saloon their first win. 

So it's October, and a shortlist for this category would likely be available in one or two months. A lot more information is coming out about films that might have a chance to be nominated. I believe there's a surprising amount of good competition in terms of what could be nominated.

If Soul is released for eligibility, then it's locked to win. As someone who thinks it's time for a change in regard to the type of film that wins this award, I'm not a fan of that fact--but it's a fact nonetheless.

Speaking of Pixar, it'd be very easy to nominate Onward. Now, I don't think two Pixar nominees in a single year has ever happened before--but two Disney nominees has--in 2016 with Moana and Zootopia. It's high-profile enough to get nominated.

Rounding out the realistic choices from the pool of major theatrical releases, Trolls: World Tour has a legitimate argument for a nomination in that the animation and visuals of the film are creative and boundary pushing. The Croods: A New Age could be haphazardly thrown in like Ferdinand or Boss Baby if the Academy's too worried about ratings to think objectively. There's also Rumble, currently set to release in January, that could surprise with a brimming sense of heart and come in clutch.

Netflix has Over The Moon, which will probably make a huge splash and earn a nomination without any trouble. If Netflix gets The Willoughbys nominated in addition to Over The Moon, then that's an indication of their power in the game. But realistically, they'll just focus on Over The Moon.

Gkids has multiple plausible candidates this year. Wolfwalkers seems guaranteed for a nomination, especially with Apple+ as a sponsor. There's a bunch of films from Japan as well, and I think Lupin III: The First stands the best chance--Japan is basically showcasing a strong grasp of 3D animation through this film. Then On-Gaku: Our Sound has an inspiring story behind it, though it's probably ending up like Lu over the Wall or something like that. And I want to see footage or Earwig and the Witch before I claim it to be in the running, even if it's a Ghibli film--but then again, When Marnie Was There had the vibe of a "weaker Ghibli film" before getting nominated.

Everything else has yet to secure a method of distribution (Kill It and Leave This Town and The Wolf House, because even if those are being self-distributed, a reliable distributor goes a long way for campaigning); or, the film hasn't formed a nomination narrative (such as Scoob! being unable to convince voters that it's good, because it isn't). It's a shame about Connected potentially being pushed, though that may make the race more interesting.

One more thing. Most of the voters are watching these films on an official academy streaming service now. So it wouldn't surprise me if films that aren't as major (like Lupin) can gain word of mouth for a nomination in simpler fashion than if voters had to drag themselves to the theaters. It's very convenient for the animation voters to have the films as readily available as they are, and hopefully that causes some pleasant surprises to happen.

Edited by SLAM!

So there's an experimental film The Wolf House that's getting into critics awards for animated feature. Unfortunately, the film is ineligible for the Oscars because it was available on Mubi(?)--I don't know how it works, but it's a crying shame that it's out of the race.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:48 AM, filmlover said:

Not that it had much of a chance to begin with.

At Paramount...

Secretary: "People are forgetting about our poorly-directed Spongebob movie, and we need a way to get it back in the headlines."

Executive: "Pull it from the Oscars."

Secretary: "What? But sir-"

Executive: "JUST DO IT."

I know this category have its winner long ago, but still worth mention that Soul won Best Animated Feature while Wolfwalkers take Best independent feature. 

Another boring year for this category as the winner is long "decided" before the ceremony. In the past 10 years, I can only recall "Big hero 6 vs HTTYD2" and "Toys tory 4 vs Klaus vs Missing Link" in last year as the only year where the category had some suspense up until OSCAR night.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I know this category have its winner long ago, but still worth mention that Soul won Best Animated Feature while Wolfwalkers take Best independent feature. 

Another boring year for this category as the winner is long "decided" before the ceremony. In the past 10 years, I can only recall "Big hero 6 vs HTTYD2" and "Toys tory 4 vs Klaus vs Missing Link" in last year as the only year where the category had some suspense up until OSCAR night.   

It has to be demoralizing for animation studios to know their film/studio lacks the resources or cultural engagement to compete with Disney/Pixar for this Oscar. With the Spider-Verse win still fresh, that gives people hope for the future. But yeah, I always like rooting for indie films to come out of nowhere, and it's not going to happen very often anymore, which is pretty sad.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SLAM! said:

It has to be demoralizing for animation studios to know their film/studio lacks the resources or cultural engagement to compete with Disney/Pixar for this Oscar. With the Spider-Verse win still fresh, that gives people hope for the future. But yeah, I always like rooting for indie films to come out of nowhere, and it's not going to happen very often anymore, which is pretty sad.

Maybe it is time to adopt preferential ballot in this category to avoid clean sweep 

• Like 1

Pixar might end up sitting out next year completely considering Luca's theatrical release is cancelled completely. Although Disney will likely end up giving it a one-week run at the El Capitan so that it can qualify if the rules end up reverting back to what they were pre-COVID.

• Like 1