chasmmi

BOT's Top Foreign Films of All Time Poll Deadline July 12th, for realsies this time, that is the final deadline

13 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I have little exposure to Hungarian film. You list may help.

@chasmmi and I can't submit my list to your message for some reason. Please help. 

If its here I will find it. 

But if it can get PMed that is a bonus for me. I'll check if there is a reason for that later when I am at a bigger computer. 

I will likely get this counted up with a view to start the countdown around Sunday-Tuesday. 

So late lists and small late lists are all welcome. 

I also need to put together my list for @Panda's countdown before that door closes too. That's maybe a tonight Chas' job. 

So may as well throw out a penultimate one of these while I am at it:

@#ED @4815162342 @75Live @A Star is Orm @a2k @aabattery @ACSlater @AJG @Alpha @AndyLL @angeldelmito @Arlborn @Barnack @baumer @Biggestgeekever @Blaze Heatnix @boomboom234 @Boxofficerules @BoxOfficeFangrl @BoxOfficeZ @Brainbug @Captain Craig @CaptainJackSparrow @Catty @cdsacken @cax16 @Jedi Jat @chasmmi @ChD @Chewy @ChipMunky @CJohn @Claire of Themyscira @Cmasterclay @cookie @CoolioD1 @DAJK @darkelf @Darth Lehnsherr @Daxtreme @ddddeeee @DeeCee @Deja23 @EarlyDeadlinePredictions @Eevin @el sid @ElsaRoc @elcaballero @Empire @EmpireCity @Exxdee @Fancyarcher @FantasticBeasts @Films @Finnick @FlashMaster659 @franfar @Frozen @FrozenUnicorn @FrozenFan626 @Goffe @Gopher @grim22 @IceFire9yt @Inceptionzq @IronJimbo @Ithil @Jack Nevada @James @Jandrew @Jason @Jayhawk @JB33 @Jim Shorts @JimiQ @JJ-8 @justvision @K1stpierre @Kalderic @Kalo @kayumanggi @KeepItU25071906 @kitik @Krissykins @lilmac @Lion Roar @LonePirate @Lordmandeep @m3racer123 @Mattrek @MCKillswitch123 @Mekanos @Menor @Michael Gary Scott @Mike Hunt @misafeco @Morieris @MovieMan89 @Spaghetti @MrGlass2 @Ms Lady Hawk @Mulder @Napoleon @narniadis @Neo @Noctis @Nova @Olive @Ozymandias @peludo @Porthos @RandomCat @RealLyre @Rebeccas @reddevil18 @redfirebird2008 @RichWS @RobrtmanAStarWarsReference @Rorschach @rukaio101 @Sam @sfran43 @Shawn @Sheikh @ShouldIBeHere @SLAM! @Spidey Freak @TalismanRing @tawasal @terrestrial @Thanos Legion @That One Guy @The Fast and the Furiosa @ThiagoMaia @titanic2187 @TLK @TMP @Tower @tribefan695 @trifle @TwoMisfits @VanillaSkies @vc2002 @VenomXXR @ViewerAnon @Walt Disney @Water Bottle @Webslinger @Wrath @WrathOfHan @YourMother the Edgelord @ZeeSoh @Jake Gittes  @Plain Old Tele  

(I know a bunch of you have done lists already, so this is just needlessly bothersome and I apologise for that.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

just to know, do you not watch Bollywood films. even Malayalam, or Tamil there are many others considered better than two you mentioned.

I rarely watch Bollywood films and Malyalam films and although I've watched multiple Tamil films when I was younger (and btw, I consider Hey Ram to be a Tamil film), almost none that stand out to me. I think the Tamil film industry needs to go a long way for them to more consistently make 7/10 movies for me (I think there's only one Tamil film from the past 10 years that I'd say even has cinematography that's better than just servicable). There might actually be three Tamil movies I could add (two of them starring the same guy who stars in Hey Ram) but I guess it's too late to add them now. 

I did want to watch Pather Panchali last week but I had assignments due so I didn't have time to watch it. Also wanted to watch Deepa Mehta's Elements trilogy but I literally cannot find a way to watch those films.

Edit: I made those changes to my previous post. Added a couple more Tamil films. @chasmmi if you think that I should go back to my old list because I'm 4 hours past the deadline then I'll do that.

Edited by lorddemaxus

You have about 3-4 more days then i'm gonna finish counting. 

There is still time to change everything!!!

(I mean maybe not getting Asterix to complete the fairytale and win it all, but ya know... almost everything. 

On 7/6/2020 at 8:03 PM, lorddemaxus said:

I rarely watch Bollywood films and Malyalam films and although I've watched multiple Tamil films when I was younger (and btw, I consider Hey Ram to be a Tamil film), almost none that stand out to me. I think the Tamil film industry needs to go a long way for them to more consistently make 7/10 movies for me (I think there's only one Tamil film from the past 10 years that I'd say even has cinematography that's better than just servicable). There might actually be three Tamil movies I could add (two of them starring the same guy who stars in Hey Ram) but I guess it's too late to add them now. 

I did want to watch Pather Panchali last week but I had assignments due so I didn't have time to watch it. Also wanted to watch Deepa Mehta's Elements trilogy but I literally cannot find a way to watch those films.

Edit: I made those changes to my previous post. Added a couple more Tamil films. @chasmmi if you think that I should go back to my old list because I'm 4 hours past the deadline then I'll do that.

If a list exists i will find it. I have a special set of skills. 

• Like 1

I PMed my list, @chasmmi.

FWIW, here it is, although once you get past the first 25, the order is more incidental. I'm sure I forgot some worthy candidates too. Really, my main takeaway is I need to watch a lot more foreign language movies. :lol:

1. Seven Samurai
2. Pather Panchali
3. A Separation
4. Stalker
5. In the Mood for Love
6. Rashomon
7. The Handmaiden
8. Pan’s Labyrinth
9. Das Boot
10. The Battle of Algiers
11. Come and See
12. The Return
13. Wages of Fear
14. Roma
15. Diabolique
16. Chungking Express
17. Andrei Rublev
18. High and Low
19. Drunken Master II, aka The Legend of Drunken Master
20. Ran
21. Princess Mononoke
22. Taste of Cherry
23. Army of Shadows
24. Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
25. Ikiru
26. Aguirre, the Wrath of God
27. Spirited Away
28. Oldboy
29. Downfall
30. Akira
31. Hard Boiled
32. The Raid
33. The Act of Killing
34. Ida
35. Grave of the Fireflies
36. The Seventh Seal
37. Carlos
38. Harakiri
39. Baahubali: The Conclusion
40. Yojimbo
41. The Killer
42. Umberto D.
43. Apur Sansar
44. The Devil’s Backbone
45. Amour
46. Phoenix
47. The Conformist
48. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
49. Playtime
50. Once Upon a Time in China
51. Baahubali: The Beginning
52. M
53. The Vanishing
54. The Passion of Joan of Arc
55. A Man Escaped
56. Aparajito
57. The Salesman
58. Drunken Angel
59. Y Tu Mama También
60. Alexander Nevsky
61. The Orphanage
62. Rififi
63. Ugetsu
64. The Grand Illusion
65. Throne of Blood
66. Bicycle Thieves
67. Castle in the Sky
68. Beauty and the Beast (1946)
69. Elle
70. Run Lola Run
71. The City of Lost Children
72. The Tin Drum
73. The Mirror
74. Drug War
75. The Secret in Their Eyes
76. Ivan’s Childhood
77. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
78. Amelie
79. Let the Right One In
80. Soldier of Orange
81. Ivan the Terrible, Part I
82. Le Samourai
83. All About My Mother
84. Train to Busan
85. A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
86. My Neighbor Totoro
87. Cinema Paradiso
88. The Wave
89. Lady Snowblood
90. Fist of Legend
91. The Hidden Fortress
92. The Host
93. The Wailing
94. Howl’s Moving Castle
95. Nosferatu
96. Leviathan
97. Parasite
98. Birds of Passage
99. Kung Fu Hustle
100. Apocalypto

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

i hope i can live long enough to see that many movies better than parasite

also where is :thinking: 

p11391245_v_v8_aa.jpg

I wasn’t quite in love with PARASITE as much as many people here, and I’m also really wary of including a film from the last year or so, since it hasn’t really had that much time to percolate. (I threw BIRDS OF PASSAGE a bone cuz I wanted to show it a little love).

And lmao re: your other point. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So I watched Pan's Labyrinth and man this film is overrated. For a fantasy film, fantasy part was the weakest. War side was bit interesting.

I honestly wanna know what did I missed because I was so excited for the film and it took me nowhere. Fantasy is my favourite genre, on top of that Teen protagonist which I fully dig, yet it was ugh.

This almost felt similar to Shape of Water, with female lead dealing with fantasy part and a military asshole as villain. I found SoW better.

Just a note to say that I am tallying everything as we speak. Am about half way through almost. 

But it is a slightly slower process than other lists I have made due to having to look up languages and countries of origins etc. 

What this means is:

a) Don't panic that the countdown hasn't started and so this is another list lost to the void. I always complete the countdowns I start (slower than some would like though).

b) If you want to add a last minute list, you are free to do so if the countdown has not been started, but any lists already submitted cannot be edited as I am not going back over what I have already entered at this point., 

That is all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1