cannastop

Where the Crawdads Sing | SONY | July 15, 2022 | Reese Witherspoon Producing | Profit of $74.7M

DEJ is amazing and I'll be seeing this for her but honestly getting a strong feeling this is gonna end up with similarly meh reviews to The Girl on the Train. Its sales have been relatively decent near me this far out though and murder mysteries usually tend to have some appeal (even Death on the Nile beat expectations by quite a bit earlier this year) so a similar $70M+ total would likely be considered pretty good for an adult drama without star power.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:23 PM, ban1o said:

Oh wait it's not her it's her step son and husband lol. They lived on a wild life conservation in Zambia in the 90s and obviously had conflict with the poachers of elephants. Her husband *allegedly* had a "shoot to kill" policy for whenever they saw poachers. ABC news went there to film a documentary about conservation and apparently they actually caught one of the poachers being killed on camera. Both her husband and step son are wanted in Zambia for questioning. 

I was pretty shocked when  first heard it lol. 

I just saw a tweet that was like, "Film Twitter is a million 'Scorsese good! Scorsese bad!' debates while Book Twitter is like, 'The author of the summer's most popular book is a murderer!'" Of course I had to look it up.

Between doing a song for this and that David O Russell movie, it seems the Swifties are very disappointed in her...

Naturally, Delia Owens goes on to write a novel involving a murder, where there are racially problematic elements... The ad campaign for the movie has seemed a bit off to me, it's starting to make sense now.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Everything is problematic on Twitter. The fact they made a title about TS and not everyone involved in the movie just proves how much biased are this clickbait campaigns. 

That Delia Owens story is really old, well know since late 90s and the ones suspected are her ex husband and his son, she was never investigated at all. Are you still reading Buzzfeed in 2022?.

What's is more interesting it's some opinion she expressed years ago about africa. I don't know exactly what she said but it was about political re population issues of the continent.  Honestly i don't know nothing about this kind of themes so I can judge. Social networks can totally twist things, people words, put them out of the context  so I never judge from what i read in some tweet.  

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

Delia Owen's involvement with a shooting in Zambia wasn't really a controversy when the book was selling millions of copies. Kind of weird to me that it's now being brought up on social media.

Book people are not really as involved with these controversies as film twitter who basically jump on anything that has even a hint of cancellation potential lol 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I just saw a tweet that was like, "Film Twitter is a million 'Scorsese good! Scorsese bad!' debates while Book Twitter is like, 'The author of the summer's most popular book is a murderer!'" Of course I had to look it up.

Between doing a song for this and that David O Russell movie, it seems the Swifties are very disappointed in her...

Naturally, Delia Owens goes on to write a novel involving a murder, where there are racially problematic elements... The ad campaign for the movie has seemed a bit off to me, it's starting to make sense now.

I don't really think the book is racially problematic. At worst you can say that the 2 black characters in the book are like the "magical negro" trope but that's a reach. 

Also the murder in the book has nothing to do with the environment or poaching or anything. 

Edited by ban1o

1 minute ago, Dingdong said:

Welp, so this is flopping with critics? I guess Taylor really has a curse in picking bad movies

From The Giver, to Fifty Shades, Cats and now this…

well honestly if those are the movies she chose she might not be trying.

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

knew this shit was doomed when half the marketing was "a taylor swift song plays in the credits."

LOL, and the other half was Reese saying how much she liked the book... Crawdads certainly isn't being advertised like a product the studio is confident in on its own merits.

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I don't know how it's tracking but I don't get the feeling this will reach The Girl On the Train's numbers. What are you guys expecting?

Tonight's early access shows and Thursday/Friday are selling pretty well near me, so the book fan base might be enough to eek past $20M for the weekend, even if weak reviews and a marketing campaign that's done little to engage the uninitiated will obviously prevent any kind of breakout.

• Like 1