Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

Plese explain why the success or failure of the Flash will have a impact on a film coming out two or three years from now. that is going to be a de facto reboot of the DCU, and will have little connection with "The Flash".

I always thought the Flash had a couple of problems; one was that the failure of JL did not give the film the boost it needed as some people here have noted; another  is that DC decided to wait until the TV show finished it's run before going for a solo Flash movie  If the JL had been a huge hit that might have changed) and the decline in interest by the Mainstream  audience in Comic Book Movies; CBM fatigue is real; it does not mean a CBM cannot be a massive hit...Spidey NWH shows that, but that audeinces will be a lot more selective in which ones they see; they won't flock to everyone the way they once did.

The good news is that with the Gunn reboot , this is no longer the make or break film for the DCU it once seemed to be.

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m pretty sure the only reason he hyped the movie up on Twitter was because Zaslav told him to. 

I don't think he needed to be told to do that; he is one of the two heads of DC Studiios, and hyping it's films is part of your job description. Hr would have done that no matter who was in charge of Warners.

5 minutes ago, 21C said:

Interesting that Gunn is a no-show appareantly. Maybe he wants to create some distance already.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1668429460016869376?s=20

Yeah I noticed that too. Curiously, today is Superman Day and he was very active on Twitter promoting it. I mean, as a filmmaker and artist first, it gotta sting on James making the tough decisions, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I feel bad mostly for Sasha Calle, but hey, I’m sure we can find something for her in the MCU or elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don't think he needed to be told to do that; he is one of the two heads of DC Studiios, and hyping it's films is part of your job description. Hr would have done that no matter who was in charge of Warners.

Gunn’s clearly not a PR person though. He flat out bad mouthed the previous regime at WB during that presentation at the beginning of the year, even though that very same regime was responsible for this movie to begin with, and were also the ones who let him make a Suicide Squad movie and a Peacemaker show. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yeah I noticed that too. Curiously, today is Superman Day and he was very active on Twitter promoting it. I mean, as a filmmaker and artist first, it gotta sting on James making the tough decisions, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I feel bad mostly for Sasha Calle, but hey, I’m sure we can find something for her in the MCU or elsewhere. 

Nvm he did show up but he doesn't seem too happy to be there. By comparison he had even made a post about going to the Shazam 2 premiere two months ago. 

If we know this thing is tracking poorly he must know it too. 

3 minutes ago, 21C said:

Nvm he did show up but he doesn't seem too happy to be there. By comparison he had even made a post about going to the Shazam 2 premiere two months ago. 

“Let’s get this over with.”

5 minutes ago, 21C said:

Of couse he knows how the film is tracking. He was be a shitty Studfio  head if he did'nt.

Basic Due Dilligence.

Edited by dudalb

1 minute ago, 21C said:

LMAO everyone with their gala looks and James with his jacket and sweater. I mean, the Muschiettis are safe. Tough luck and the one I feel bad for is Sasha. She might be the best Supergirl of all time but if you are rebooting the universe, you just don’t start with Supergirl, especially if you are circling the reboot around Superman. I think what certainly hurts here is that creatively, Gunn understands that. It’s an aspect of the job that is just new to him, and it gotta sting. Worse on Calle sure, but still.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

LMAO everyone with their gala looks and James with his jacket and sweater. I mean, the Muschiettis are safe. Tough luck and the one I feel bad for is Sasha. She might be the best Supergirl of all time but if you are rebooting the universe, you just don’t start with Supergirl, especially if you are circling the reboot around Superman. I think what certainly hurts here is that creatively, Gunn understands that. It’s an aspect of the job that is just new to him, and it gotta sting. Worse on Calle sure, but still.

He could easily keep Sasha Calle if he wants to, just like he’s keeping the cast of TSS and Peacemaker. I don’t think he will though. 

Pretty sure everyone's hit the nail on the head over why this is looking at a potential underperformance but IMO the biggest reasons are a marketing campaign that doesn't seem to know what movie it's selling (Is it a Flash movie? A Supergirl movie? A Keaton Batman Legacy Sequel? All concepts with box office potential on their own that appear awkwardly shoehorned into one) and the fact that the DC Universe seems to be on the verge of a total reset has essentially rendered all their movies this year as irrelevant (a concern I had back when Shazam 2 flopped). Being the umpteenth superhero movie to tackle the multiverse concept in just the past few years has only further rendered this one as "been there, done that" due to the other movies being released first.

Also doesn't help that the studio has gone so overboard in hyping this up for so long that it already feels like the buzz peaked well before the movie has even been released. More often than not, luck and timing end up being the key ingredients to a movie's success (or failure), even ones that seem infallible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

He could easily keep Sasha Calle if he wants to, just like he’s keeping the cast of TSS and Peacemaker. I don’t think he will though. 

I think it is indicitive that he Gunn definentkly kept the door open for Gal Gadot to retuen as Wonder Woman.

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

The Muschiettis are safe in the sense that I imagine that De Luca and Abdy (who are also at the premiere) will want to keep a relationship with them over at WB. Safe as in Gunn and Safran will give them the reigns to the 200 million dollar Batman movie that's gonna be a key building block to their DCU? Probably not. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Pretty sure everyone's hit the nail on the head over why this is looking at a potential underperformance but IMO the biggest reasons are a marketing campaign that doesn't seem to know what movie it's selling (Is it a Flash movie? A Supergirl movie? A Keaton Batman Legacy Sequel? All concepts with box office potential on their own that appear awkwardly shoehorned into one) and the fact that the DC Universe seems to be on the verge of a total reset has essentially rendered all their movies this year as irrelevant (a concern I had back when Shazam 2 flopped). Being the umpteenth superhero movie to tackle the multiverse concept in just the past few years has only further rendered this one as "been there, done that" due to the other movies being released first.

Also doesn't help that the studio has gone so overboard in hyping this up for so long that it already feels like the buzz peaked well before the movie has even been released. More often than not, luck and timing end up being the key ingredients to a movie's success (or failure), even ones that seem infallible.

Let's face it, when it comes to Multiverse stories, ATSV is one a really, really, hard act to follow after just a couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I think it is indicitive that he Gunn definentkly kept the door open for Gal Gadot to retuen as Wonder Woman.

The way he's danced around the question of Gal Gadot and Wonder Woman every time he gets asked about it leads me to think she's also done and also doesn't want to say it yet.
When he got asked about it point blank on February he said "Gal is up for doing stuff. We don't know what we'll do with that". Mind you, this is in the context of him already having mapped out his 10 year plan. So he mapped out the 10 year DC plan  but doesn't know what to do with Wonder Woman? BS.

1 minute ago, 21C said:

The Muschiettis are safe in the sense that I imagine that De Luca and Abdy (who are also at the premiere) will want to keep a relationship with them over at WB. Safe as in Gunn and Safran will give them the reigns to the 200 million dollar Batman movie that's gonna be a key building block to their DCU? Probably not. 

And it's not like they made a huge flop. I usspect FLash will probably turn a modest profit for WB.

And ,anyway, every producer/Direcotr has his or her failures. The sttudios know you can't expect anybody to hit a home run every time they go to bat. It's when you have three or four failures in a row you career is in trouble.