Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

7 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Decided to stay out of the box office tracking thread as much as I can for this film's opening weekend, but it appears that this thread might be...worse??

You've got the worst of both worlds - the people who don't like the movie who are enjoying watching the movie (seemingly about to) fail, and the people who do like the movie who are now filling the thread with angst and pessimism for that same reason. Unless fortunes reverse, this may be a no-go zone.

• Sad 1

Matt suggests that most people don't even know about the Ezra Miller story.  He and his guest say that WBD has handled the whole situation extremely well.  He says the tracking looks a bit soft at $70M but all in all they are saying a lot of what I was just saying, is that this movie really doesn't affect much moving forward.  

‘The Flash’ and Marketing a Movie With a Controversial Star - The Ringer

• Like 4

When I'm right, I'm right.  You have Matt Belloni and Terry Press shrugging their shoulders at all of this but on here people want to act like the sky is falling because The Flash is going to barely break even or take a minor loss.  

This isn't Waterworld.  This isn't even going to be one of the biggest bombs of the post-pandemic era.  It's just a 'whatever'.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

When I'm right, I'm right.  You have Matt Belloni and Terry Press shrugging their shoulders at all of this but on here people want to act like the sky is falling because The Flash is going to barely break even or take a minor loss.  

This isn't Waterworld.  This isn't even going to be one of the biggest bombs of the post-pandemic era.  It's just a 'whatever'.

It's not even going to be the biggest DCEU bomb this year.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Matt suggests that most people don't even know about the Ezra Miller story.  He and his guest say that WBD has handled the whole situation extremely well.  He says the tracking looks a bit soft at $70M but all in all they are saying a lot of what I was just saying, is that this movie really doesn't affect much moving forward.  

‘The Flash’ and Marketing a Movie With a Controversial Star - The Ringer

having a main star not promote the film is almost never good, heck i have not seen Keaton out promoting either , trailers/spots can only do so much

14 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

having a main star not promote the film is almost never good, heck i have not seen Keaton out promoting either , trailers/spots can only do so much

What do you want them to do?  Terry said Ezra went away and said he was seeking help and that's exactly what he did.  She stated that Warner Bros. sought out whatever help it was that he needed and that's all there is to it.  

Terry and Matt both suggested that focusing on The Flash and Batman as characters and not parading around Ezra Miller,  making the characters the "stars" ended up saving Warner Bros. A LOT of money because this all could have ended up being far worse. 

It was a good listen,  I think people are quick to get on the new executives but they've come in and saved this situation,  they signed James Gunn to put a positive spin on DC moving forward and apart from the DC stuff,  the stock is doing much better,  Max has now turned a profit,  they are saving money,  they are literally doing everything they said they would do. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

When I'm right, I'm right.  You have Matt Belloni and Terry Press shrugging their shoulders at all of this but on here people want to act like the sky is falling because The Flash is going to barely break even

Honestly I think that's what's going to happen. The movie is going to earn back its budget by the skin of its teeth, Warner Bros. will give a huge sigh of relief, and learn absolutely nothing from the experience. 

4 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

Honestly I think that's what's going to happen. The movie is going to earn back its budget by the skin of its teeth, Warner Bros. will give a huge sigh of relief, and learn absolutely nothing from the experience. 

What is a whole new team of executives that had nothing to do with this movie supposed to "learn" from whatever happens with The Flash?  

Maybe some posters aren't up to speed on the business side here.  They literally have nothing to do with this.  They are trying to put these movies out to make some money back but they were already made before the merger.  

The first movie that they have anything to do with on the DC side isn't coming out until 2025.  You're basically blaming a new GM for the past GM's screw ups. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What do you want them to do?  Terry said Ezra went away and said he was seeking help and that's exactly what he did.  She stated that Warner Bros. sought out whatever help it was that he needed and that's all there is to it.  

Terry and Matt both suggested that focusing on The Flash and Batman as characters and not parading around Ezra Miller,  making the characters the "stars" ended up saving Warner Bros. A LOT of money because this all could have ended up being far worse. 

It was a good listen,  I think people are quick to get on the new executives but they've come in and saved this situation,  they signed James Gunn to put a positive spin on DC moving forward and apart from the DC stuff,  the stock is doing much better,  Max has now turned a profit,  they are saving money,  they are literally doing everything they said they would do. 

everything is wrong with entertainment if they listen to wallstreet, Netflix lost money for decade, so a couple years WB is a loser, streaming is not the future, nothing makes sense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Finally saw the movie and it’s very good imo. Idk what the big deal is about the CG because 90% of it was good the other 10% was odd in an uncanny valley type of way but it seemed very much intentional and stylistic rather than something like Superman’s mouth CG in Josstice League. Saw it with a group of non-comicbook fans and the lowest score they gave the film was a 7, so there’s that little anecdotal data until a Cinemascore or Postrak report comes.

The post credit scene was a waste of everyone’s time tbh. 

Exactly my point. These CGI complaints are exaggerated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

I agree.  A lot of these posters are out to lunch.   It does not MATTER really what this movie does in the grand scheme..  This movie was very close to not even coming out.  

And for everyone who says "DC is doomed"  HOW?!   The Batman 2 is doing to make money.  Joker 2 is going to make money.  They are doing the reboot with Superman.  

This movie has nothing to do with anything that's coming down the pipeline.  So what I feel we have on here is called concern trolling and there's a lot of it. 

Yep. I feel my IQ dropping reading some of the takes people have on this movie.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AJG said:

You are absolutely wrong and you must see this movie IMMEDIATELY. It’s a good enough film, but the production values are amongst the worst I’ve seen. A true miracle of badly produced cinema.

I already did go to see Flash yesterday, gave my thoughts in a post a few minutes before that one. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Most of this could have been corrected if they had just realized Zach Snyder was bad after BvS and started from scratch on Justice League with the same actors and a clear visual changeover.

Zack Snyder left WB 6 years ago. There's been 10 DCEU movies between The Flash and BvS.

If BvS is to blame for DC's image in 2023, that only means the last 7-8 DCEU movies did nothing to improve the brand image. Were they so mediocre/bland? Mind you, ZS has been gone a long time, these new movies have been critically well received, championed by DC fans as "step in the right direction", and WB has incorporated all the things fans vocally complained about like light tone, humor, bright colors etc, nostalgia etc. Yet, its the early DCEU movies that made money, and the latest batch of movies have all have lost money.

So either the "Hamada-verse" was a failure as a "course-correction", or maybe a 8 year old movie is not at fault here. Mind you, Wonder Woman and Aquaman all came right after BvS, and were big hits. Its time we stop scapegoating, and place the blame where it really lies, WB. The Justice League mess, scrapping the shared Universe for low budget solos, massive cuts in editing, trying to ape MCU, the whole thing has been a mess.

The DCEU was never meant to rival MCU as this neverending 20 film shared universe, it was a 5 chapter story, accompanied with solo spinoffs. Changing courses wildly midway was always going to fail. Should have just released Snyder's 2h45m cut in Nov 2017 and rebooted.

Edited by EdgeLord4Lyf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The DCEU was absolutely designed to be a rival for the MCU, hell based on the characters alone and what BvS opened to, that absolutely was possible. The one two punch of BVS and Suicide Squad did enough damage that the vision couldn't be recovered from, even with a Wonder Woman or Aquaman hitting. 

• Like 8

If any DCEU properties have hurt The Flash, it's more likely been Black Adam, Shazam FOTG and WW84. 

All three have had poor runs, poor reviews and have been hammered by the media. That's more likely to impact the general public's perception of the quality of the Flash than MoS or BvS which were years ago.

The one hope for The Flash is WOM. If audience reviews remain strong, the movie has the potential to get stronger than expected walkups. 

Different markets, but both China & Korea have seen positive spikes off the back of good WOM this week. Unfortunately it's late, but it does give a glimmer of hope the movie might have some legs.

• Like 3

I know a lot of the conversation is around CGI, but I wanted to say that the actress who plays his Mum gives an incredible performance. There’s something about her performance that was really moving. 

Particularly in one scene, Ezra is great in that moment too. It was really touching. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The DCEU was absolutely designed to be a rival for the MCU, hell based on the characters alone and what BvS opened to, that absolutely was possible. The one two punch of BVS and Suicide Squad did enough damage that the vision couldn't be recovered from, even with a Wonder Woman or Aquaman hitting. 

The DCEU was never designed to be like MCU at all, the creators have said that many times. It had a beginning and end like TDKT, and was meant to be rebooted after Snyder's JL3 in 2020. It was 5 chapters, like LOTR or Harry Potter. With solo spinoffs, unlike the MCU where the solo films all lead into larger ensemble films.

MCU is this long saga with over 20 films, the whole format was different. Snyder's whole pitch to DC was lets do something different than Marvel, because we cant compete on that front, they have that nailed down. While they do the action/comedy with heart, DC can do the epic LOTR esque mythological story. Obviously WB changed courses midway rightly or wrongly that's not the point.

Now yeah, it was ofcourse designed to be WB's cash cow aping the MCU, but thats from an exec pov. All I'm saying is the storytelling approach was completely different. The DCEU certainly had the potential to be financially succesful, certainly to a much higher level than now. I have to ask, if WW and Aquaman(which came relatively sooner after BvS) were able to be successful, why did the movies after that fail to do so? My answer is the movies themselves and the worldbuilding approach were not compelling enough. There would be more interest in a JL2 or a MOS2 than a BOP/Shazam movie, but WB played defence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdgeLord4Lyf said:

The DCEU was never designed to be like MCU at all, the creators have said that many times. It had a beginning and end like TDKT, and was meant to be rebooted after Snyder's JL3 in 2020. It was 5 chapters, like LOTR or Harry Potter. With solo spinoffs, unlike the MCU where the solo films all lead into larger ensemble films.

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. One hundred percent it was meant to follow the MCU. The "Five chapters" thing was always bullshit, mainly because there were more than five movies in their slate

qqd36u0q8sx81.jpg

And this isn't counting the Harley and Joker movie or Deadshot or any number of films they announced to be in development and were never heard from again.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4