Eric Atreides

Spencer | November 5, 2021 | NEON | Kristen Stewart is Princess Diana

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

May I ask what movies you plan to see? If you are seeing Dune, please PM me when you see it. I'm a huge fan of the book and read the script for the movie so my expectations are throw the roof. 

Best poster not just of the year but in a long long time.

Now we need some floating heads for GA:lol:

I will be seeing SPENCER, DUNE, LAST NIGHT IN SOHO, and HALLOWEEN KILLS.

• Like 3

The “With Thanks to CHANEL” at the end of the trailer tells us way more than it should about the quality of this movie.
I imagine it will be more alongside the Naomi Watt’s ‘Diana’, and ‘W.E’, rather than The Crown, The Queen, and The Kings Speech.

Corporate logo and everything. I’ve never seen anything quite like it. 

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Looks beautifully shot but The Crown was more than enough Princess Diana content for me in a year, tbf.

Have a feeling this will be the general sentiment towards the movie. (Unfortunately) Feels like Steve Jobs all over again

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It's hard to top Emma Corrin. That said, movie looks stunning and Kstew looks good though she still looks like (blond) Kstew.

It does look more lavish than the Naomi Watts version, but I had a feeling those production stills we kept seeing over and over were the most Diana-like that KStew was ever going to look. The actor looking like the real person isn't that important to whether a biopic is an engaging film, but Princess Diana has been well covered terrain through the years, comparisons to other portrayals and real life are unavoidable. 

7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It does look more lavish than the Naomi Watts version, but I had a feeling those production stills we kept seeing over and over were the most Diana-like that KStew was ever going to look. The actor looking like the real person isn't that important to whether a biopic is an engaging film, but Princess Diana has been well covered terrain through the years, comparisons to other portrayals and real life are unavoidable. 

true but it's better if they do cause of suspension of disbelief. The Crown's Diana and Charles look so spot on which enhances the emersion. 

Kristen Stewart's accent is unbelievably on point. Though as already pointed out, Kristen Stewart in and of herself is a public figure who already has an unmistakable face. I can't really hold that against her though.

Very curious to see how this place at Venice next week!

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

true but it's better if they do cause of suspension of disbelief. The Crown's Diana and Charles look so spot on which enhances the emersion. 

Prince Charles wishes he ever looked as good as Josh O'Connor, but audiences are used to the actor being more attractive than the real person. I saw someone say Emma Corrin was like a shrinky dink Diana--Emma and Josh have a bigger height difference than Charles/Diana in real life but it was still great casting. 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

looks like pablo larrain just made the same movie again with a worse actress.

Lots of directors have formulas that work for them, but I am wondering which 20th century icon is next in this "a weekend in the life" series and which actress (who's awfully short for the role) will play her. Maybe Larrain will switch it up, and IDK, get someone six feet tall to play Elizabeth Taylor...

For the timeframe (1991), they have Diana's hair all wrong, it was shorter and more helmet-like than what Stewart seems to be sporting.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

6 hours ago, AJG said:

The “With Thanks to CHANEL” at the end of the trailer tells us way more than it should about the quality of this movie.
I imagine it will be more alongside the Naomi Watt’s ‘Diana’, and ‘W.E’, rather than The Crown, The Queen, and The Kings Speech.

Corporate logo and everything. I’ve never seen anything quite like it. 

Shit like this is why I don't come here often. Do you even know of Pablo Lorrain? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Shit like this is why I don't come here often. Do you even know of Pablo Lorrain? 

The director of the boring Lisey show and the so-so Jackie-O film? Is he meant to be a big deal?

This looks visually interesting, and I still want to give Stewart the benefit of the doubt, but...I just don't see her as Diana at all. Natalie Portman doesn't look much like the real Jackie Kennedy (another public figure with no shortage of pop culture fascination) but even in the first stills it felt like she captured her essence. Stewart just comes across as if she's dressed up as Diana for Halloween based on everything so far.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This looks visually interesting, and I still want to give Stewart the benefit of the doubt, but...I just don't see her as Diana at all. Natalie Portman doesn't look much like the real Jackie Kennedy (another public figure with no shortage of pop culture fascination) but even in the first stills it felt like she captured her essence. Stewart just comes across as if she's dressed up as Diana for Halloween based on everything so far.

I think this is a function of Stewart having a very specific screen presence, and so for some it may be difficult to dispense with that image.