Safeno Rdz

Best Song Predictions 2020

Ritmo - The Black Eyed Peas (Bad Boys for Life): There's no chance this is getting nominated, but I really like this song

Husavik (Eurovision Song Contest)

Something from Hamilton?

Boss bitch - Doja Cat (Birds of Prey)

The song Justin Timberlake and SZA did for Trolls World Tour

Probably something from Pixar's "Soul"

I really have no idea what could be nominated in this category lol

Edited by Safeno Rdz

So we all know that The Turning is a really bad horror film, right? Well, it's the strangest thing, but the film randomly has a decent official soundtrack. It's filled with songs from all these indie artists who are popular on Spotify. I'm talking Mitski, Empress Of, Vagabon, Sunflower Bean, Pale Waves--even Courtney Love has a song on the soundtrack. Am I saying there's going to be a nominee from The Turning? Heck no. Not happening. But it's a fun novelty that a film such as The Turning randomly has a soundtrack to go with it. My favorite song from the soundtrack is "Call Me" by Empress Of.

Hamilton songs won't qualify. As far as actual movie adaptations are concerned LMM wrote new music for In the Heights but it got pushed to next summer. The Prom apparently has new songs as well so that probably has a good shot. West Side Story, if it still comes out this year, won't have any new music because Sondheim hasn't written new material for previous Hollywood adaptations of his plays and won't dare add anything to this given its hallowed status in pop culture.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 7:39 PM, filmlover said:

because Sondheim hasn't written new material for previous Hollywood adaptations of his plays and won't dare add anything to this given its hallowed status in pop culture.

TBH.  Sondheim hates West Side Story and would probably jump at the chance to rewrite.  It's the main reason "I Feel Pretty" gets axed all the time. 

:hahaha:

• Like 1

Honestly, Husavik should get a nom, if not a win. I have no idea what else is coming this way in 2020 in terms of songs, but I think it's a strong enough song to have been nominated in any other year.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Aren't streaming movies eligible this year anyway?

Only if they had a theatrical release planned. Eurovision was never expected to be released theatrically. Netflix will have to provide booking documents showing they had deals with the theaters for a windowed theater release. 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

Though, again, the director of the movie said a theatrical release was originally planned. I'm sure they can prove it but i don't think the academy will chase them too hard about it if there even is an oscars.

That definitely is the big question. I'm still leaning towards no, especially if no studio movies are able to be released this year.