Eric Atreides

Star Wars: The Bad Batch | Disney+ | Final Season premieres February 21st!

53 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I didn't see any review yet, they didn't wait till release day for WandaVision and Falcon.

It's almost all reactions at the moment because Can't Spoil Star Wars™ after all.  I don't know if there is an actual review embargo or if it's because no outlet wants to be the first to have a full blown review.  I suspect the former.

(A SW fan/news/leak site has a spoiler review out ftr)

Lots and lots of positive impressions, though I don't know of any trade chiming in yet.

I would also point out that this is still an animated project, so it isn't that surprising if the geek community is more plugged in than traditional outlets.

• Like 1

And we're live:

*a few seconds in*

Spoiler

*hears opening narration*

Separatists pushed to the brink! Republic forces continue to mount victories on battlefront across the galaxy. After the Jedi Knights thwarted an attempt to kidnap Chancellor Palpatine, the evil droid General Grievous retreated to the Outer Rim. With his legions of Battle Droids severely depleted, Grievous mounts a desparate and brutal counter attack across several star systems.

We find Republic Clone Troopers locked in deadly combat on the besieged world of Kaller. Led by Jedi Master Depa Billaba, they’ve struggled to hold their positions as they wait for reinforcements to arrive.

SomberBonyAzurevase-max-1mb.gif

CONTEXT:

Spoiler

Depa Billaba's Padawan at the moment would be one Caleb Dume, who will very shortly have a very bad day and eventually decide to go by the name of Kanan Jarrus, ie one of the main stars of Rebels.

• Like 1

It's a subtle thing.  Or maybe not even that subtle, but I love how 

Spoiler

Omega is trying to copy all of Hunter's movements and arm gestures.

If I didn't know better, I'd say it was a pretty bad case of imprinting.

As it is, prob just hero worship.  But I love how it's being done.

Great episode. I really like Omega. The others of the Bad Batch are cool too I guess. 

Spoiler

I’m kinda annoyed that they retconned the part of the Kanan comic. It’s quite good and felt unnecessary to do so. They could’ve went along with the comics and still work the Bad Batch in. But oh well, still really enjoyed the episode.

• Like 1

My only real discordant note here, and it's pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things, but...

Spoiler

I know they tried really really hard and I know that Freddie Prinze Jr. gave it the ol' college try, but that was really not a great impression of a kid.  Or rather a young sounding Kanan. :lol:

Okay, maybe Caleb Dume's voice was breaking right as Order 66 went down, and if so, "A for outside the box thinking there".  But, took me out slightly, got to admit.

Not a huge deal as I said.  But, still, had to smirk slightly.

I dunno.  Maybe it'll go down better on rewatches.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Great episode. I really like Omega. The others of the Bad Batch are cool too I guess. 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I know some folks are already upset about it, but it didn't seem as egregious to me as the Ahsoka retcon.  While the execution of Order 66 and it's immediate fallout is different, yes, pretty sure most of the comic can still occur once Caleb Dume takes off.

It's been forever since I read it though so might be some really canon breaking stuff there.

Either way though, once the rubicon of Ahsoka's retconning occured, this was going to happen more and more.

===

Might just have to accept the Pablo Hidalgo View of Canon (which he discussed off and on when he was still active publicly on Twitter) which is much more of a 30,000 foot type of thing where Characters X, Y, and Z were at places A, B, and C but the exact details aren't known and are subject to story telling.

That is, Caleb Dume escaped Order 66 on Kaller, but the exact fine details are more fuzzy.

His famous example is that, yes, Han Solo and Greedo met at a catina in Mos Eisley, and Han Solo walked out alive and Greedo... didn't, but the exact details are not only not known, but fairly irrelevant to most stories. 

Can't say I fully and completely agree with Pablo's stance.  But with more and more content coming down D+'s pike gonna have to make peace with larger and larger... discrepancies like this.

Edited by Porthos

Just now, Porthos said:
Spoiler

But with more and more content coming down D+'s pike gonna have to make peace with larger and larger... discrepancies like this.

Either that, or...

Spoiler

blame all such discrepancies on fallout from the usage of the World Between Worlds. :ph34r:

*reflects*

On second thought, I'll just live with the occasional retcon rather than open that can of worms.  :kitschjob::hahaha: 

@Inceptionzq

45 minutes ago, Porthos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yeah it’s nothing really bad canon-wise. Different setting and atmosphere, but it shows what it obviously keeps what is really important that happened. 

It just bothers me that they choose to even bring Caleb into it because it devalues the story from his perspective. I understand why they did it, the BB is not his story. But they made a part of the comics that was his story into a part of the BB’s story. Not much of a middle ground too. At least with Ahsoka and Rebels retcons, her/Rex’s story is still their story.

But again, oh well. I may complain about it, but I’ll accept it.

40 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Either that, or...

Reveal hidden contents

@Inceptionzq

That’s not how the Force WBW works! Please keep it that way :hahaha:

• Like 1

Out of the animated Star Wars shows this is the strongest premiere of them all.

Spoiler

The Kanan comic being retconned is a tad annoying but it's been so long since I read it I only realised later what this episode contradicted.

Really liked the dynamic of the group much more and Hunter especially has much more of a personality than he did in TCW. Hope to see more exploration of Echo with him coping with what he has become now. Wrecker still annoys me a bit but like with the Bad Batch in general they're less cartoonish than in TCW. Most likely due to the tone of the show which for the most line is on par with the serious Clone Wars episodes. 

Hope to see Onderon again and I only realise now who the "friend" is for next Friday.

Lastly I wonder if the Kaminoeans not disclosing all the info to Tarkin will come back to bite them later.

• Like 1

Haven’t seen the final 2 seasons of TCW or 2 seasons of Rebels. Should I hold off on this premiere until I finish them? Or should I watch it today, and then try to finish the rest before Friday?

22 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Haven’t seen the final 2 seasons of TCW or 2 seasons of Rebels. Should I hold off on this premiere until I finish them? Or should I watch it today, and then try to finish the rest before Friday?

Prob not necessary.  Rebels is def not necessary.  If you don't mind watching out of order, I'd catch up on the Bad Batch arc in S7 of TCW which introduced the characters in the first place, but even here I think the characters were well established enough within this episode to serve as introductions for folks unfamiliar with them.

Only real thing is, a major plot point of the first arc of S6 of TCW is taken for granted as being known, but even here I think there's enough contextual info within the episode itself not to matter.

Slight spoilers:

Spoiler

The existence of inhibitor chips causing clones to be brainwashed and exterminate Jedi was examined in-depth in that first arc of S6.

But there was a lot of examination within this episode to bring folks up to speed in a natural way.  IMO at least.

Then again, this IS Star Wars.  Finding out about things out of order/not learning the full story about characters 'till later is practically a tradition at this point. :lol: 

• Like 1