Eric Duncan

Star Wars: The Bad Batch | Disney+ | Final Season premieres February 21st!

I watched the pilote and I liked it a lot, the animation was very impressive but the whole character development and premise are also interesting enough to keep you hooked.

While I didn't see The Clone Wars I wasn't feeling lost or anything, it's relatively newcomer friendly.

A good 9/10, feels good to see real investment in animation on this platform :)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

While I didn't see The Clone Wars I wasn't feeling lost or anything, it's relatively newcomer friendly.

Been thinking about this a bit and what makes it work, I think, is that one of the central plots of the pilot episode (the inhibitor chip) is pretty much unknown to the main characters.  So the backstory is slowly unfolded to them in a way that also brings up newbies to speed.

Mind, folks who have seen the relevant episodes of TCW went "oh crap" when Crosshair muttered "Good soldiers follow orders" (long story; don't worry about it) and we pretty much knew then and there that while he wasn't 100% brainwashed, he was obviously being affected by Order 66 (we also knew that he wasn't just being an Empire symp, but that there was something wrong with him mentally).  However, the rest of the characters didn't know, so their arc of discovery was more or less the same as a new viewer's.  That is, they suspected something was up, but unsure exactly what or the scope.

Most other things could just be "Oh, a rando Jedi and her Padawan is in distress, how sad" or "Wow, the seeds of the rebellion were planted almost immediately — makes sense when you think about it" rather than "who is that, and why should I care?"

Even in the second episode, things are played with a bit when it comes to audience expectation:

Spoiler

For instance, as a non-TCW watcher you might be forgiven by thinking that there was an episode or three with the Bad Batch and the clone deserter, Cut Lawquane.

NOPE!   SURPRISE!!!

That is, while we've seen Cut before in exactly one arc, the Bad Batch weren't a part of it.  Thus why they are so friendly with each other and so trusting (to the point of the kids calling one of them "Uncle Wrecker" is a complete mystery to us as well.  Just one of their many previous adventures that we are completely in the dark about.  So while the episode expects us to be on the side of Cut, it's not like there is a long series of prior episodes being referenced to.  What we need to know is told inside the episode itself.  As it should be.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Most other things could just be "Oh, a rando Jedi and her Padawan is in distress, how sad" or "Wow, the seeds of the rebellion were planted almost immediately — makes sense when you think about it" rather than "who is that, and why should I care?"

Got to admit, until I read this thread after watching the pilot, I had no idea that the Padawan who escapes was somebody from Rebels, it’s easily watchable without having seen TCW and Rebels based on my experience so far (I’ve only seen up to the end of season 1 of TCW). That said, I did find it weird that a young child had the voice of a man in his mid-20’s 😂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

Been thinking about this a bit and what makes it work, I think, is that one of the central plots of the pilot episode (the inhibitor chip) is pretty much unknown to the main characters.  So the backstory is slowly unfolded to them in a way that also brings up newbies to speed.

Mind, folks who have seen the relevant episodes of TCW went "oh crap" when Crosshair muttered "Good soldiers follow orders" (long story; don't worry about it) and we pretty much knew then and there that while he wasn't 100% brainwashed, he was obviously being affected by Order 66 (we also knew that he wasn't just being an Empire symp, but that there was something wrong with him mentally).  However, the rest of the characters didn't know, so their arc of discovery was more or less the same as a new viewer's.  That is, they suspected something was up, but unsure exactly what or the scope.

Even in the second episode, things are played with a bit when it comes to audience expectation:

Reveal hidden contents

I just saw this episode 2 and what you say is interesting as I thought it was probably something referenced in the Clone Wars ^^

As for the episode it was a good one, it shows a clear case of a dictatorship starting to set up, and while Omega isn't the most mature person around they didn't make her obnoxious as some shows tend to do so at times, she's growing up and learning.

PS: if you ever learn the budget for this series please make u know, I'm curious ^^

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

Running a little late as I was unavoidably tied up, but I just have one fairly non-spoily/non-specific observation/comment to make half way through the latest episode.

This show... this show isn't exactly pulling any punches. :o

LATER EDIT::::

That was some mighty fine Star Warsing.

No real spoiler comments again, except glad to see a clear metaplot is being developed, and at a pretty natural pace as well (IMO).  Looking forward to see how it gets shown over the next few months (or years 👍)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Something that genuinely surprised me in this episode and something else that makes me go "Hmmmm...."

Spoiler

I was 100% surprised that they made the Asshole Empire Lover/New Recruit the sympathetic one who refused to commit a war crime when it came to slaughtering innocent civilians (and then was gunned down for his troubles by Crosshair). 

Yet, in retrospect it does make sense.  For all of the real corruption of the Republic prior to the actual establishment of the Empire that I've mentioned in previous posts, most folks, even the committed ones to this new Empire, still have a lingering Republic-framed mindset.  For folks who weren't part of the actual fighting, committing clear cut war crimes is, well, not something that would come naturally.

Especially since the dude earlier said that he was in it mostly for food and shelter.

Ironically, this undercuts Admiral Rampart's justification for the emerging Stormtrooper program:  That recruits would be more loyal than programmed clones.

The second layer of irony is that when Crosshair (presumably) left out the fact that he shot his squadmate for refusing to follow orders, Rampart won't know that it was only because of the Clone Trooper that his project got past its initial hurdle.

The third layer of irony is that by doing this, Crosshair is making it just that little bit easier for the Empire to shift from Clone trooper to Stormtrooper.  Now one engagement clearly isn't the reason the Empire shifted from Clones to recruits (Tarkin wants it and is looking for reasons to do it), but, well, the irony is noted by yours truly.

The thing that makes me go "Hmmmmmm" is that second to last shot of the episode with Crosshair sitting alone in his bunk, with a fairly despondent body posture.  Just how much of the "real" Crosshair is clawing inside his head trying to get out?  Is it having even the slightest bit of influence when he isn't on an actual mission?  How much regret is Crosshair feeling?  Or, should I say, the fact that Crosshair does appear to have some level of regret is what is making me go "Hmmmmm...." as it suggests the programming isn't infallible.

====

Have a lot more thoughts about where this show is headed, including some about just how critical Omega is to this show on an emotional level, but I want to bake them in my head for a bit more before fully committing to them (as well as seeing if the show backs up my train of thought in future episodes). 

But for now (and somethin of a teaser of where my head is at) I'll say that if Omega wasn't in this show, it'd be pretty depressing on more than one level.  I am coming to believe that she is a much needed beacon of hope and positivity that this show needs to function.  At the very least so far she is the emotional counterbalance to a pretty weighty storyline.  And a sorely needed one at that. .

• Like 3

Omega isn"t annoying and that's great, in these 3 episodes she evolved pretty fast and naturally, she's essential to the team in her own way.

And that doesn't look like a kid show, this 3rd episode was pretty dark.

• Like 1

Love how this show is carrying the tone from the end of TCW. Out of the Disney era animation is where Star Wars has been the darkest.

Spoiler

Rampart will most likely be our main villain while Tarkin takes a step back. Really enjoy seeing the beginning of the end of the clone army and the start of enlisted troopers. Love the show isn't holding back on the brutality of the Empire and also emphasising  that yes maybe loyalty is what they claim keeps these people in line but much of it is fear as well. Crosshair is fascinating in whether he actually is subconsciously fighting the chip or is he really changed for good unless the chip is an issue.

The head injury Wrecker had will surely come back and I like that while Omega got herself out it was not through getting lucky at fighting but she was smart in how she escaped.

Only thing I wish we see a bit more is development for Echo so hope that comes up more this season 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Rampart's voice actor sounds very familiar but I can't quite place him

He's got a pretty extensive voice acting resume in video games including prior SW work, so I'm not sure where you might have heard him.  Also been in some scattered TV shows here and there.

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

He's got a pretty extensive voice acting resume in video games including prior SW work, so I'm not sure where you might have heard him.  Also been in some scattered TV shows here and there.

I think I confused him with someone else, but I do recognize his name from a couple other things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cap said:

The tonal whiplash of this episode.  Would you like some war crimes between your father/daughter bonding?

And yet, as I implied in my spoiler box, that's why I think the character of Omega is absolutely critical to the show.

Tonally, it'd be a lot different if she wasn't around.  Possibly too dark and depressing, really.  She's a much needed contrast/palate cleanser to, well, literally everything else.

The fact that she's a well written younger character who isn't annoying or overtly sweet or too-cool-for-school or any of the other myriad pitfalls that often strikes younger characters in these types of shows (popularly known as "The Scrappy")  is nearly a miracle given how many times the entertainment industry has whiffed on such characters.

So, yes.  Whiplash aplenty.  But it worked.  For me at least. 

(it also helped that there were some undercurrents of compare and contrast going on in what you are describing, but to talk about that I'd have to go into spoilers)

• Like 3

Since the Kaminoans are fretting about Jango's material degrading, they're obviously gonna try and do something with the Batch. But I also wonder if this is a way to rope in young Boba since he's the only pure source of Jango material

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Since the Kaminoans are fretting about Jango's material degrading, they're obviously gonna try and do something with the Batch. But I also wonder if this is a way to rope in young Boba since he's the only pure source of Jango material

It's exceedingly early days, but I do think things might be falling in to place for

Spoiler

there being some sort of (de-chipped?) clone rebellion on behalf of/instigated by the Kaminoans.  Or maybe a back-door program being used/uploaded into some of the clones?

There being some sort of conflict between the emerging Empire and the Kaminoans is all but assured. One just doesn't plot against the Empire and not get noticed by said Empire.  Well, not for long at least.

It's fairly likely odds that said conflict will be another reason for the Empire to shift from clones to recruits.  Might also explain why there seems to be so few clones running around in the OT era.  Sure, there's aging.  But we see younger clones still being made/there are the last ones off the block who should appear somewhat younger than other clones made earlier in the conflict.

Might have been some large scale purge/war against clones that has for the most part gone unexamined in current SW Lore.  Can't offhand think of anything that would preclude a purge/war against clones in the early days of the Empire.  Could even add a justification from Clone War singular to Clone Wars plural (the obsession of some folks in LFL to refer to this/have characters refer to it as the Clone War and not the Clone Wars has always been a little befuddling to me).  And even if this isn't a reason to have a large scale purge against clones, it can still be a conflict/straw that broke the camel's back as to why clones aren't around for very long in the Empire's service.

As I understand it, there was something like this in the Legends continuity called the Kamino Uprising.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see this ground retread in broad strokes fashion, as that's something Lucasfilm loves to do.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Porthos said:

And yet, as I implied in my spoiler box,... 

Lol, I wasn't coming for your girl.  I was just commenting on how dark it got.  🤣

• Like 1