The Panda

BOT's Top 100 Movies of All Time - Hindsight is 2020 Edition

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Didn't know that Richard Linklater is such a champion in independent cinema. His Boyhood is one of my biggest snooze fest in cinema.

It was thoroughly pointlessly boring. and testing my patience in every way. 

Unlike Tree of Life, which equally bored me in the cinema but I can't deny that how I enjoyed the boredom that Tree of Life gave, it was like a meditation experience in cinema. Since I first saw it in 2012, I remember Tree of Life as a boring yet meaningful journey. And I just appreciate that film more and more each time I revisited.   

Luckily Boyhood didn't won that "widely" expected Oscar best picture. Because we all need, a much more better crafted, meaningful, socially relevant coming-of-age story won the ultimate prize, and that just came 2 years later. 

Boyhood, being an experiment created piece-by-piece rather than a fully pre-conceived scripted work, is probably not the best entry point for Linklater. I recommend giving his earlier movies like the Before trilogy and Dazed & Confused a shot, they express what he's all about in a much more dynamic way and may give you a better understanding of why he's so well-liked. School of Rock, too, his very good Hollywood comedy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Idk, I feel like Gore Verbinski did Endgame better than Endgame 13 years before Endgame.

What are you talking about?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Didn't know that Richard Linklater is such a champion in independent cinema. His Boyhood is one of my biggest snooze fest in cinema.

It was thoroughly pointlessly boring. and testing my patience in every way. 

Unlike Tree of Life, which equally bored me in the cinema but I can't deny that how I enjoyed the boredom that Tree of Life gave, it was like a meditation experience in cinema. Since I first saw it in 2012, I remember Tree of Life as a boring yet meaningful journey. And I just appreciate that film more and more each time I revisited.   

Luckily Boyhood didn't won that "widely" expected Oscar best picture. Because we all need, a much more better crafted, meaningful, socially relevant coming-of-age story won the ultimate prize, and that just came 2 years later. 

original.gif

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Boyhood, being an experiment created piece-by-piece rather than a fully pre-conceived scripted work, is probably not the best entry point for Linklater. I recommend giving his earlier movies like the Before trilogy and Dazed & Confused a shot, they express what he's all about in a much more dynamic way and may give you a better understanding of why he's so well-liked. School of Rock, too, his very good Hollywood comedy.

Boyhood was not my first Linklater's movie either. It was that anime--like scanner darkly which i thought was quite good and I didn't know Linklater was the director until Boyhood.

As for Before trilogy, I never saw them but perhaps will give a try when the "haunting" experience in boyhood show start to fade away.   

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Boyhood was not my first Linklater's movie either. It was that anime--like scanner darkly which i thought was quite good and I didn't know Linklater was the director until Boyhood.

As for Before trilogy, I never saw them but perhaps will give a try when the "haunting" experience in boyhood show start to fade away.   

You hate Linklater because you didn't like one film of his? 

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

You hate Linklater because you didn't like one film of his? 

No, why would i hate him?? He never offended me, I didn't even know him personally.

I just don't feel the urgent need to catch up his filmography. 

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

How the hell was wrong? I was bored by that movie to the max, it was my feeling, how do you tell that I was "actually" not bored by the film?

Disliking Boyhood is morally wrong in my eyes. :P

Jokes aside, of course I'm not questioning your feelings, just strongly disagree with them. Boyhood is one of my absolute favorites of the last decade, it's like re-living my teenage years in 3 hours (I was born just a couple of years before the protagonist, so the situations and cultural references were very familiar). The 12 years of filming is not just a gimmick, it makes you relate to the character and gives more weight to the passing of time. If you gave the Tree of Life another chance, why not this one?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not hard to understand lol. At World's End is a more ambitious and well-executed 2nd part of a two parter than Endgame.

I just threw up in my mouth a little. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I don't know about At World's End, but I think Dead Man's Chest is better than both Infinity War and Endgame, and I used to really not like Dead Man's Chest. It wasn't until I rewatched it this past fall that I came around on it. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Disliking Boyhood is morally wrong in my eyes. :P

Jokes aside, of course I'm not questioning your feelings, just strongly disagree with them. Boyhood is one of my absolute favorites of the last decade, it's like re-living my teenage years in 3 hours (I was born just a couple of years before the protagonist, so the situations and cultural references were very familiar). The 12 years of filming is not just a gimmick, it makes you relate to the character and gives more weight to the passing of time. If you gave the Tree of Life another chance, why not this one?

Tree of Life bored me but I never disliked that boredom, in fact, the mysterious boredom that Tree of Life gave was very memorable because I constantly feel the film was calling me although i wasn't really invested in the plot. It was a wondrous boredom that left a positive impression in my memory that drive me to rewatch them. 

On the other hand,  boyhood, as experimental it was, the "compilation" way of storytelling was just not rewarding. It was directionless, and I just don't get why should I care the way how he grown up. It just show you the process of growing up, literally.

And there are so many great coming-of-age film in recent year like lady bird that show the stablisation of rebellion & development period during adolescene.  I was just not on board the Boyhood's hype train. I am pretty sure I am not only one and I am not ashamed to speak out. Boyhood is just one of the universally acclaimed movie that I was bored by, along with Lost In translation, the revenant, Her, avengers, a star is born .......   

• Like 3

Also, had it been eligible as an 18-hour movie, as Jim Jarmusch and Lynch himself view it, then Twin Peaks: The Return definitely would have made it on my list. Episode 8 in particular is more powerful than most full-length movies released in the last 20 years.