chasmmi

The OFFICIAL BOT Top 100 Foreign Films of all Time Ever List Begins...

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

First, this means I will need to double check if this film is potentially Bangladeshi instead of Indian

India - The Continent country.

We can be some 10-15 separate countries easily based on Languages.

Wanna watch this trilogy, but friend of mine said I am not ready yet, so...

Edited by charlie Jatinder

2 hours ago, chasmmi said:

50th: Pather Panchali - India (1955)

1 Top 5

108 pts (More VOtes)

Assumed Plot: I may have looked up what this title potentially translates as, and it is Bengali for Song of the Little Road. First, this means I will need to double check if this film is potentially Bangladeshi instead of Indian, Second I am going to take a guess that there is a famous 'Little Road' that traverses one of the 14 borders between Bangladesh and India and that this is the story of people with emotional needs to cross said border and the potential difficulties/hardships that arise from attempting to do so. 

Oh it's from 1955, that means if it is a Bangali film, there wasn't yet a Bangladesh to have it come from. (I mean there was, but it was a region of Pakistan at the time [although it also would not surprise me if Bengal is a bit like the Basque in Europe and exists both sides of the border])

That trailer gave me zero new info, so please wait what for you will be zero seconds as I solve the mystery once and for all....

Right so... This is a film produced by the government of West Bengal which was (and still is) in India. Thus this is a Bengali language Indian film and so gives India its 11th placement on the list.

It is also apparently a masterpiece. 

From Amazon user, Mrs. J M Burt

This film had been reported as one of the best films ever made and I totally agree. It gives a glimpse of India that it would be impossible to imagine without this wonderful film. It follows the life of one small boy from a caring but extremely poor family. It is amusing, sad, very entertaining and absorbing. We learn what happens to the rest of his family and we follow him through his education, successes and failures and long for his luck to change. You need to watch this wonderful film to discover his final outcome. A delightful film in every way. English subtitles throughout. This is one film which is much better for being in its own language. For English language speakers I feel it enhances the film rather than detracting from it in any way.

Films by Nation

12 - France

11 - India

6 - Japan

5 - Italy

4 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

It’s so, so great. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

51st: Joint Security Area - South Korea (2001)

1 First Place

108 pts

Assumed Plot: I may be a bit biased here as I am the one who put it first, but this is objectively the best film Korea ever produced. It is the film that thrust Park Chan Wook into the spotlight, as well as the film that showed that some random comedy actor named Song Kang Ho was maybe a bit good at all this acting stuff. 

This film broke the all time admissions record in Korea upon release (maybe, probably, the official numbers around this time were still Seoul only figures, so a lot of extrapolation is sometimes required.). It picked up the ball left by Shiri and ran with it to deliver a fantastic performance based drama that was the first time that North Koreans had been shown to actually potentially be human beings in a South Korean film.  

Nothing more to add here, I just wish this film was easier to track down and watch in today's Netflix world. 

Edti: oh it appears it may be on Amazon Prime (or at least something called Mubi)

That is now 4 films on the board with two for Park and two for Bong. It will be interesting to see who wins that battle to get more films on the list as both directors have more than one candidate remaining that has a shot of making the top 50. A top 5 nations is also slowly starting to take shape here unless Sweden, Hong KOng, or somewhere else can get in on the act soon.  

From Amazon user, Desertman84

Joint Security Area or J.S.A. is a great political movie about the friendship of soldiers patrolling the borders of North and South Korea. It is a heart-warming and touching film considering that it shows that people remain as brothers despite the fact that the country is separated due to difference in beliefs and for political reasons. Aside from that, it also has a message of peace and patriotism. The acting was great. Lee Byeong-Hun,Kang-ho Song and Lee Young-Ae were exceptional. The direction of Park Chan Wook deserves credit as well. The movie was interesting from beginning to end. It is definitely highly recommended.

Films by Nation

12 - France

10 - India

6 - Japan

5 - Italy

4 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

ALSO another Park Chan-wook I absolutely have to see

This and Stoker and then I'll have seen them all I think

19 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

ALSO another Park Chan-wook I absolutely have to see

This and Stoker and then I'll have seen them all I think

You have not lived until you see the fever dream that is "I'm a cyborg, but it's okay"

(He also made a film completely on cellphone a few years back called Night fishing (I think), but that might not be readily track downable

• Like 1

Joint 47th: La Dolce Vita - Italy (1960)

1 Top 10

116 pts 

Assumed Plot: Fun fact, in the Pool League that I play in here in Seoul, Dolce Vita is the name of the bar containing the absolute worst group of cocks that we have to play against each season. That isn't relevant at all, but I don't have a lot of guesses to make about a film called the Sweet Life.

I'm assuming it like a bunch of the other Italian films so far. The trailer is gonna have some guy giving soundbites about how the film is an extravaganza and so on. There will be implications that sexy times will take place at some point. I also put it at 60% the chances that the trailer involves bottoms. There will also be a serious main plot, but this will be subsidized with bottoms and bicycles.  

Okay so a bicycle did ride by at the end, but this whole trailer was essentially a busty blonde lady showering under a waterfall.  

She also seemed to only speak English in that trailer which made me think I had found a dub, but he spoke Italian so I am thrown as to whether her character is supposed to be an English speaker. 

This brings Italy level with Japan on 6 films in the race for third. Is this the start of another close race?

From Amazon user, Andy

The definitive and most famous Italian film in history. Arguably Fellini's masterpiece redefined the world's perception of Rome, in a period in which Rome was experiencing a post-war change in society and mores. This period is the perfect setting for journalist Marcello, surrounded by celebrities, paparazzi (a word coined by this very film!), debauched nightlife and undergoing an identity crisis of his own. Ambitious and ambiguous, an episodic odyssey filled with contrasts -intellectuals and hedonists, night, dawn and day, aristocrats and streetwalkers, and plenty of striking religious imagery. A remarkable artistic achievement, this is not a typical art film, it has Fellini's trademark jovial humor, and no matter how dark, emerges as a truly entertaining work. Everything about La Dolce Vita is iconic -the 1960's Italian fashion, Nino Rota's waltzy score, and some of the most famous scenes in cinema. Criterion's remastered Blu-ray is extremely well done, the beautiful B/W photography is even more incredible than I ever realized. Extra content has some great insight into the film making and some interviews, a little more analysis would help though. Bottom line- this is an absolute classic of world cinema, essential to a film lover's library.

Films by Nation

12 - France

11 - India

6 - Japan

6 - Italy

4 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

3 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

• Like 8

Joint 47th: Baahubali: The Beginning - India (2015)

1 Top 10

116 pts 

Assumed Plot: Is this still the biggest ever film (or films) in India, or did something beat it yet. I remember it having a strong run in the USA and UK markets too. 

As for the story, I am guessing it is based on, or at least inspired by Hindu mythology, and maybe has a similar vein to it as Korea's Along with the Gods. I am expecting it to be a big bombastic bonanza that batters the brain into bewilderment.  

Okay so less Along with the Gods and more Sparticus/Gladiator?

Granted it does look very pretty and pretty epic. Probably a film I should see one day before it begins to age badly. It is a film on my ever growing, never shrinking, to watch list. 

In even bigger news, this brings India level with France!! Is the upset on? France were looking clear and safe 20 films ago, now it is a different story. What do both regions have left in reserve?

From Amazon user, Gypsi

A baby is found in the river by a village that lives at the bottom of a gigantic waterfall. He is adopted, named Shivudu, and not told of his history. Shivudu (played by Prabhas) spends his life trying to climb to the top of the waterfall. When he finally succeeds, he finds the large kingdom of Mahishmati, and falls in love with a girl (played by Tamannaah) from a rebel group who are trying to rescue their queen from Mahishmati's evil king. Shivudu, brave and fearless, vows to rescue the queen himself.

Despite the predictable plot, this Telugu action-drama is all around fantastic. The acting was solid, the scenery and settings gorgeous, and the music (songs and incidental) excellent. Some of the CGI animals weren't fully credible, but the rest of the CGI usage looked natural and impressive. The action scenes generally looked believable, and were always exciting. Overall, for viewers comfortable with violent action films, this is a movie not to be missed.

Films by Nation

12 - France

12 - India

6 - Japan

6 - Italy

4 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

3 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

Assumed Plot: Is this still the biggest ever film (or films) in India, or did something beat it yet. I remember it having a strong run in the USA and UK markets too

This is part 1. It's like Infinity War. End with a cliffhanger and the 2nd part set all things on fire.

46th: The Rules of the Game - France (1939)

2 Top 10

117 pts 

Assumed Plot: It didn't take long for France to hit back did it? The Rules of the Game is a story of confidence tricksters and scams. The con-world is one with little rules, but those rules that exist are sacred and must be followed. So when a rogue scammer starts playing by their own rules, all hell breaks lose. 

Well I was right about all hell breaking loose. It appears that the whole cast was sleeping with somebody they shouldn't be. 

This does not look like my kind of film, but it clearly seems to captivate fans of classic cinema. It does also send France back clear at the top and now the ball is back in India's court to see if they can respond. 

From Amazon user, Connor Burnett

If you've read Neil Strauss's other main books "The Game" and its sequel "The Truth" then you will certainly enjoy this book too. Now this one is for the most part a manual on what is taught in "The Game" with a day by day how-to schedule on picking up women. Whether you decide to actually follow the tips provided in the book, you will enjoy reading it either way. The end part of the book is actually a short stories collection of Neil Strauss's encounters with women he has met and every story was hugely entertaining in its own way. Reading Neil Strauss's books certainly open your eyes about how to attract women and what they like and I find his teachings to be very useful despite the criticism he has received over the years. Point being, if you dig Neil's work, you'll dig this work of his too.

wait... Thaat doesn't sound right...

From Amazon user, Wolf Vandsant

Hmmmm.....what's to say. The movie, The Rules of the Game is considered one of the greatest movies ever made simply because it is one of the greatest movies ever made. The cinematography is innovative for it's time. The acting is excellant. The story is a fascinating sociological probe of French upper middle class culture of the time.

But this edition is especially provocative. It is particularly interesting that the movies that are considered breakthroughs often did the worst at the box office. Renoir was nearly driven out of France for this one. The comparisons with Citizen Kane are fascinating.

Particularly interesting in the considerable extra material provided with this edition is the intimate details of Renoir's life including rarely disclosed information about his father, the painter, Pierre-Auguste Renoir.

Films by Nation

13 - France

12 - India

6 - Japan

6 - Italy

4 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

3 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

• Like 9

4 hours ago, chasmmi said:

You have not lived until you see the fever dream that is "I'm a cyborg, but it's okay"

(He also made a film completely on cellphone a few years back called Night fishing (I think), but that might not be readily track downable

I'm a cyborg is one of the ones you gave me last year isn't it?

45th: Police Story - Hong Kong (1986)

1 Top 5

120 pts 

Assumed Plot: It seems that Hong Kong films are like buses. You wait forever for one to finally show up again, and then another pops up almost immediately. 

Police Story is ever so possibly going to be the story of a policeman in Hong Kong. He probably shoots some fools, some blood packs explode and possibly a mentor figure a few days from retirement turns out to either be dirty, die a hero's death, or both. That is the only story of police. 

Or it is Jackie Chan doing all his wacky Jackie Chan things. 

When the trailer guy described him as a lady's man I couldn't tell if that was tongue in cheek or serious. It events that followed were to silly to be a serious take, but not funny enough to be comedy. 

Police Story received a lot of love as a franchise, but this is the only entry to place as Police Story 2 came in at 181st, and Police Story 3 only fared slightly better in 142nd, It does bring them level with SOuth Korea though. 

From Amazon user, Michael Heagle

I never thought I'd see one of these films done up as beautifully as this – the 4K remaster is unbelievable. I've watched this film on sloppy 35mm prints in LA and Minneapolis, VHS (at Intercontinental Video in Minneapolis RIP), DVD via Fortune Star (basically the sloppy 35 all over again), and a low to average Blu-Ray transfer. This is like it's happening right in front of you. I skipped ahead in the disc to check the quality and a random shot of Maggie Chung from somewhere in the middle of the movie took my breath away – so immediate and present I'm somewhat scared to watch some of the more grueling stunts! Extras look to be good, including a 65 minute portion of his documentary "Jackie Chan: My Stunts," a great interview with Edgar Wright fawning over the man the myth the master, and the episode of The Incredibly Strange Film Show by Jonathan Ross that first opened up to me the world of Jackie.

Normally I'm kind of lukewarm on Criterion artwork, but the (digital) cover paintings are respectful and the liner notes are well-done as usual. In addition to the "shattered glass" disc cover, there's a poster of Chan on a motorcycle that has the liner notes on the back, as well as a panel of art for each of the two releases – four nice pieces of art in total.

Films by Nation

13 - France

12 - India

6 - Japan

6 - Italy

4 - South Korea

4 - Hong Kong

2 - Sweden

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

• Like 7

44th: Ida - Poland (2014)

1 First Place

121 pts 

Assumed Plot: Ida is obviously the story of a girl named Ida. Boom, nailed it!

Ok, Ida is the story of a... young girl (let's say 19/20) named Ida who's (I am torn between wartime or general coming of age drama), world is turned upside down the day that the Nazis roll into Warsaw. Her sweetheart is killed, villainous basterds are on every street corner and suddenly the life of a beautiful young woman in Warsaw has become 1000 times more treacherous.  

Well the war seems pivotal to the story at least, so that is a small victory. 

It's always kind of interesting to me when a film chooses to be black and white when it no longer needs to be because of the time / budget. This film does look like it has a strong emotional hook and thus is likely very good.; I can say that thanks to this poll, it is now officially the best Polish film of all time. Corpus Christi was second in 148th, with The Saragossa Manuscripts and Cold War each missing the top 300. 

Poland has now become the 16th nation to find a position in this top 100 countdown. I wonder what that final number will finish at. 

From Amazon user, David E Baldwin

"Ida" departs from most post-Holocaust films in that it tackles both the twin evils of Nazism and Stalinism in Poland. The year is 1962 and in its wake are the scorched earth left by the Third Reich and a picture of a deceptively benevolent Nikita Khrushchev adorning a bare wall. Eighteen year-old Anna (Agata Trzebuchowska) is on the verge of making her final vows in becoming a nun. She receives a visit from Wanda (Agata Kulesza), an aunt she's never met and a former fearsome Communist Party prosecutor now a prominent judge. Wanda tells Anna bluntly her real name is Ida and that she is a Jew. Wanda's intentions for Ida is for both of them to locate the remains of family members who perished during the war and give them a proper burial. Wanda, a self loathing cynic, hopes to gain some semblance of closure while Ida goes along in hopes of receiving answers to the direction her life should take. Alas, there's no easy way out as the women find out and their past is doomed to define their futures. On the surface director Pawel Pawlikowski's film would seem slight filmed in stark black-and-white populated with few characters containing sparse dialogue and coming in at an economical eighty minutes but it's because of its simplicity that it achieves resonance. For me the film brought to mind "Sophie's Choice" but you could go decades mining stories from the Shoah and still not run out of compelling ones to tell.

Films by Nation

13 - France

12 - India

6 - Japan

6 - Italy

4 - South Korea

4 - Hong Kong

2 - Sweden

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

• Like 7

43rd: High and Low - Japan (1963)

1 Top 10

121 pts (More Votes) 

Assumed Plot: It is a Japanese film I have absolutely never heard of to the point I can't even guess if this is anime, Kurosawa, or shock upon shock, neither of the above. 

High and Low sounds more like a live action title, than anime to me. I'm thinking it is a sort of Japanese Downtown Abbey where we see how the high and low societies intermingle during times of great social upheaval. Possibly even a bit of social rebellion, and a 5% chance that a samurai shows up at some point.  

Ok, turns out that it was Kurosawa. I was correct that the chances of samurais was low though. 

This is Akira's third film on the list now I believe and I don't think anybody else has managed that yet. Bong and Park from Korea both have two. Wait, tell a lie. Miyazaki is also on three films, I forgot Castle in the Sky was his also.

Although I will also add that my knowledge and recollection of the French and Italian films so far isn't the best and La Dolce Vita, Amarcord, and Nights of Cabrira all look like they could easily have been from the same director. And with Bollywood also, I know the actors not the directors, so there could also be some Bollywood hero sitting pretty on four films and counting also.  

What is indisputable is that Japan again pulls clear of Italy and is up to 7 films. I am confident they will clear 10 films with ease, but how close France and India above can they really get? 

From Amazon user, A Film Lover

I have had every iteration of this film - from tape to DVD and now this Blu-ray from Criterion. The closest any of those other iterations ever came to looking anywhere near what this film should look like was the Japanese DVD, which had no English subtitles. But this Criterion Blu-ray is really fine and really does the film justice. The film itself is a ten-star masterpiece and by far my favorite Kurosawa film, along with The Bad Sleep Well. His direction here is just so perfect and puts to shame any director working today. Masaru Satoh's score is amazing, the script is taut (despite the film's almost three-hour run time - it's from the Ed McBain novel, King's Ransom), and the acting is superb. If you've never seen just buy the damn thing.

Films by Nation

13 - France

12 - India

7 - Japan

6 - Italy

4 - South Korea

4 - Hong Kong

2 - Sweden

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42nd: One Cut of the Dead - Japan (2019)

1 Top 5, 2 Top 10

125 pts 

Assumed Plot: A Japanese double Whammy and I know that this one is probably not Kurosawa. 

I know enough about this to know that it is apparently some weird horror, comedy, parody, meta, thing where zombies are there just doing their thing and frolics ensue. Maybe a cross between Shawn of the Dead and Army of Darkness? 

Yeah, I am sure it is lovely.

So nestled among the classic cinema of the 20th and 21st cinema from all over the world, is this. Whatever this is. This film is the reason that The Ring just missed out in 101st. This film is half of the reason that Argentina will not be seeing a film make the list. This film should clearly be ashamed of itself for existing.

Or maybe it is wonderful. It's hard to say.  

What is easy to say is that Japan is even closer to India now (which is probably the opposite to what is happening techtonically), It is edging closer to the 10 film milestone and building up some momentum as we start to approach the final stretch. 

From Amazon user, Sean Rome

Be careful reading other reviews, as they contain spoilers. I'll try my best to avoid spoilers for this masterpiece.

One Cut of the Dead is, quite simply, one of the best movies ever made. Produced on a shoe-string budget by an unknown director and featuring a cast of unknowns, it is still one of the most lovingly crafted, competently acted, well-scripted, and beautifully directed movies I've seen in... well, that I've ever seen.

There's really no way to accurately describe this movie without giving away too much, but just trust me when I say that this movie deserves every bit of praise it has gotten. In fact, it deserves more praise. It's original, creative, and completely unique. There is simply no other movie like this. It might seem strange at first, but if you can bring yourself to ignore the absurdly low-budget appearance and stick through, you'll soon come to understand why this movie has a 100% perfect rating on Rotten Tomatoes and why it set box-office history by making back over a thousand times its $30,000 budget in ticket sales.

This movie opened in a single theater for a six-day run in Japan, and it went from that humble beginning to become a modern-day classic, with a world-wide following. WATCH THIS MOVIE. I guarantee that if you watch the whole thing, you will not only want to watch it again yourself; but you will also want to tell your friends to watch it, tell your family to watch it. You'll want to watch it with them, just to experience the joy this movie brings.

If you like horror movies, if you like low-budget movies, if you like comedies, if you like feel-good family movies... if you like movies at all or have even a passing interest in film, then you need to watch this. I promise you that you will not regret it. I can't promise you'll love it as much as I do, because it is one of my favorite movies, but I can promise that you will like it. Everyone will like this, as long as they watch it to the very end.

Films by Nation

13 - France

12 - India

8 - Japan

6 - Italy

4 - South Korea

4 - Hong Kong

2 - Sweden

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

Japan coming for the top. I think it can top France with whole lot of animes to be in Top 20.

40 more to go. I think India will get 3 Idiots and Baahubali 2 for sure. There can be Lagaan, Taare Zameen Par and DDLJ too. That leaves 35-36 films. (India total 16-17)

Memories of Murder, Parasite, Oldboy, Handmaiden, I saw the Devil will definitely make for Korea. Give another 3 which I am not aware of Leave 24-25. (Korea total 12+)

Atleast 8 other Miyazaki, Your Name, and 4-5 Japenese film will make it. Leaves 10-12. (Japan total 21+)

It will be tight race, more than I expected. 

I know 5 non-French film that will make it, so I think its safe to assume Japan is winning this. India and France will fight for 2nd.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

41st: Hard-Boiled - Hong Kong (1992)

1 Top 10

125 pts (More votes)

Assumed Plot: A while back, I did a prediction for Infernal Affairs and declared it to be a big shooty police violent drama film directed by John Woo. 

I am starting to think that I was possibly making that prediction because I was confusing it with this one. So there we go, this is a big shooty police violent drama film directed by John Woo. 

There we go. A big shooty, violent film directed by John Woo. This prediction lark is much easier when you've kind of heard of the film.

It seems that Hong Kong is finally gaining a little momentum after a very slow start to this list. It could be that to some, a big shooty violent crime film is pretty interchangeable with another big shooty violent crime film, or it could be that there are too many films to choose from that in turn split the vote.   

Either way, Hong Kong is now ahead of Korea and now has Italy in its sights.  

From Amazon user, Nathan T Jennings

"Hardboiled" is a true dude flick. From its gritty story to its tough guy characters to its incredible action sequences, Hardboiled delivers. Hardoiled is director John Woo in fine form.

The story is not-so-simple. An unconventional cop (Chow Yun-Fat) is investigating the murder of a friend and fellow cop. Along the way he discovers another cop (Tony Leung) in deep cover as a rising Triad hitman. Soon both find themselves in over their heads as rival Triad factions target them. Among these rival Triad factions is a hardcore gangster who's bloodlust rivals that of his own boss! These complexities add to the outstanding thrills.

In the action department Hardboiled is pure hardcore! The gunfights are almost a ballet with bullets! The fight scenes are brutal. The death scenes are unflinching. Hardboiled is an action movie fans action movie.

Hardboiled is a total dude flick if the term ever were.

Films by Nation

13 - France

12 - India

8 - Japan

6 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

• Like 8

The long-take hospital shoot-out in Hard Boiled, which took 40 days to film, is up there among the greatest action sequences ever filmed in my opinion.

Also one of the last famous ones to be done completely without CGI, at least on this scale. They even squeeze in a 1 minute drama sequence right in the middle of it as if filming such a gangbusters action scene wasn't reason enough to go crazy, now the actors have to also deliver a full intense drama scene without mistake as well or else.... CUT! Unbelievable.

And the rest of the movie is really solid too!

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3