chasmmi

The OFFICIAL BOT Top 100 Foreign Films of all Time Ever List Begins...

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

I think India is done for the list unless 3 Idiots shows up. A decent selection of movies but everything skewing to the 90s and later for the most part.

All the movies listed definitely work as a good intro to Bollywood.

I think Taare Zameen Par could too, I saw couple of non-Indian users submitting it.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 11:15 AM, chasmmi said:

Joint 26th: Lagaan - India (2001)

1 First Place

152 pts 

Assumed Plot: Aamir Khan returns to the countdown with the best film about cricket that has ever been made. It is a tragic story of a heroic group of local regimental British soldiers who graciously offer a town the chance to win free rent for a year over a friendly game of cricket. 

The film then takes an interesting turn as it focuses solely on the Indian antagonists as they come up with devilish and dastardly ways to trick and cunning their way to victory over the noble British boys. This is a film that has everything (apart from the surprising omission of the heroic hero song as the British soldiers bravely rise to the occasion and prepare to take on this untrustworthy group of Indian cricketers.  

Oh wait, maybe this is better....

It was meant to be a friendly wager, and those bastards are all getting together and making aggressive fist gestures. 

Everybody except @SchumacherFTW will tell you that Lagaan is a must watch film even if you do not like cricket. The sport is very front and centre, but actually caring or understanding the rules in the context of the film is about as important as following the rules of Baseketball really. 

Also, once again India draws level with France. This has been a crazy two-way battle for the ages (that I thought Italy would be a bigger part of), and it could well go to the wire. 

From Amazon user, Corey MikeNTxs

"Lagaan" is a tax levied by the British occupiers of India.

I first saw this film during movie night Friday at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston (The Texas Medical Center). By the end, I was telling the sponsors of the film that it was one of the most enjoyable films I'd ever seen, in spite of its length.

This is a Great Movie, with a totally different perspective of what it was like for Indians living under the British Raj. British and Indian actors, surprisingly good performances all-around, some recognizable Western names and faces in the cast, and both drama and humor along with a little history. It makes for a nice balance and some painless education with your entertainment.

This movie is VERY long; about 4 hours. Most of it is subtitled, but there is also spoken English mixed in. It provides a "You Are There" verisimilitude. In spite of the length, I found the movie engaging enough that the time almost flew by; at least as fast as 4 hours can fly.

Films by Nation

15 - France

15 - India

10 - Japan

7 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

I told @grim22, once I move I'll watch this. I swear to Nolan

• Like 1

25th: Harakiri - Japan (1962)

1 First Place, 1 top 10

153 pts 

Assumed Plot: A film about... ritual suicide of shame? This is the story of a disgraced samurai who should have done the honorable thing and fall on his sword, but instead he chooses a life of shame and Ronin. From here he embarks on a story of redemption, self-understanding, and maybe even a thing called love. I'm assuming in black and white and directed by Mr. Akira. 

Well that cleared everything up.

It was in black and white at least, but it was kind of a dull trailer. (Feels like all these black and white classic samurai films may actually be 75% balding men shouting at each other). 

This also brings Japan again to a point where they are as far ahead of Italy as they are behind India (except it is a 4 film cushion on either side this time). There are only 24 spots to go, so any challenge has to come now if it is going to come... 

From Amazon user, Corey SM

Surely this is in the running for the greatest Japanese movie of all time? It's a superb film about the hypocrisy of those who rigidly adhere to codes of conduct, the callousness of bureaucracy, and the way that tradition, however noble it may appear to be on its surface, can nevertheless be abused for inhumane ends. This is an acerbic critique of Bushido, feudalism, and the tragic fate the legacy of the Samurai class left for Japan in the 20th century. Its message is no less relevant for today's world. I can't recommend it enough.

Films by Nation

15 - France

15 - India

11 - Japan

7 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 6

24th: The 400 Blows - France (1959)

1 First Place, 1 top 10

157 pts 

Assumed Plot: A lot of things about this list surprise or confuse me. I will say though I was not expecting a French Adult movie to hit the top 25. I can only assume that this film is about 48 hours long, otherwise the poor girl is gonna be in a neck brace for weeks. I am not one to judge the tastes of others, but quirky choice by the BOT faithful to go all in on this. Who knows what came over them.

According to one critic, "A lump remains in your throat hours after witnessing this revelation." That's something.

Silliness aside, it appears that this is another French trailer that is an amalgamation of different people telling you to watch the film because it is good. It is such a shame that a lot of classic cinema just isn't for me. 

This also sees France go back into the lead outright once more, and there are only so many more salvos India can fire their way surely?

From Amazon user, Gene Roderick

Every once in awhile the French really hit the mark and this is the case with 400 Blows; however this movie hits a nerve on a lot of levels and also don't forget your Kleenex. Very moving!! All this boy wanted was for his parents to love him. He was sorely disappointed. The acting and the directing is magnificent!!

Films by Nation

16 - France

15 - India

11 - Japan

7 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

23rd: Bicycle Thieves - Italy (1948)

2 top 5

162 pts 

Assumed Plot: This is a film about Italian people stealing bicycles. Therefore I expect the probability of there being bicycles, bottoms, and fountains in the trailer are reasonably high. I assume that this centres around a gang of street urchins who make ends meet by stealing bicycles and dare I say it...hearts?

These films are getting older and older. 

This is another film for the lovers of all that is black and white. It is not for me to dismiss it because of my prejudices against older, slower looking films. I know this is a film with a lot of love and one thing that has been great about this list is the wide spectrum of nations, genres, and eras that have received placements in the 100. 

It also edges Italy closer to the big 10 film milestone and further clear of Hong Kong behind. 

From Amazon user, Petros

During postwar Italy a man seeks a job with great desperation and dire need, to support his family. When he finds one, he needs a bicycle to keep it. In one of those great subtle moments of this fantastic movie, his wife finds the resources to buy him one. Then in a split moment, the bicycle is stolen. The film has an incredible human voice projected into stunning scenes. Arthur Miller, said it best; “It’s as if the soul of man had been filmed.” In my words; the soul of the creator of this film, reached out with spiritual abandon.

Films by Nation

16 - France

15 - India

11 - Japan

8 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

3 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 6

22nd: Das Boot - Germany (1981)

1 top 5, 2 top 10

164 pts 

Assumed Plot: The final German film to make our countdown just misses the top 20 as a film about a shoe gets a lot of love. 

I kid, I kid, I know this is a U-Boat film and is probably some long and despondant look into the psyche of a group of men forced to live in essential captivity together, never quite know if the next moment will be their last as they end up in a watery tomb. 

Looks like a rollicking good time. 

Well we have finally stopped going back in time as Das Boot sends up hurtling way back up to the essential yesterday of 1981. This has continued the trend of popular foreign cinema being mostly European in the 20th century before Asia gains more prominence in the 21st.

This also means that Germany finishes on 4 films, currently alongside Sweden and Korea, but with their upward mobility now done with, it is all about looking over their shoulders at this point. 

From Amazon user, History Buff

This is an excellent movie. I have watched this several times. I had it on VHS, but since I no longer have a VCR player, I purchased it on DVD. The DVD had English subtitles or you could select "English" as the language of the DVD. I highly recommend just using the English Subtitles. The German language is a beautiful language to listen to (I dont' speak or understand German) and I think to get the full effect of this movie, you need to listen to it in German. If you have problem watching a movie with subtitles and being able to follow along , then as stated, you have the option of listening to it in English. The movie follows a WWII U-boat on one of it's patrols. The director did an excellent job of making you "feel" like you were on the sub. You can sense and feel, the dirt, the sweat, the claustrophobia, the fear as depth charges are dropped, the loneliness. You come to know the sailors, their lives, their emotions . I will not spoil the end for you , but what happens in the end, I never saw coming. It is shocking. You will not be disappointed in this move

Films by Nation

16 - France

15 - India

11 - Japan

8 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 7

21st: Amelie - France (2001)

1 top 5, 

166 pts 

Assumed Plot: The 4th European film in a row and it is the story of a girl called Amelie who... (All I know about this film is the DVD cover has a smiling brown haired girl so here goes), loves life. She is young and brunette and has a lovely smile.  

Then one day something makes Amelie sad and she stops smiling, this in turn makes the viewer feel sad and you spend 90 minutes just hoping and praying that happiness will return to her life and she can smile her brown-haired smile once more.

Looks more like Fantastic Frenchness and where to find them.

So, forget all that stuff about Europe only offering 20th century fayre, this film is from well into the 21st century at 2001. It certainly looks a lil' quirky and maybe is a fun watch (or maybe a tragic watch, ya never know.) 

What it certainly does is bring France up to 17 entries on this list and 2 clear of India and the field. This gap is feeling wider and wider as the list nears conclusion and maybe they have already done enough with this entrant.

From Amazon user, K Johnson

There is no way you can not watch this movie and be smiling by the end. It's simply not possible.

Many have described the storyline, so I won't bother, but I will say that every American filmmaker should study this movie. It is perfect across the board...impeccable directing, great storyline, fantastic cinematography and design, a charming and beautiful soundtrack. But, what makes this movie really stand out is the performances. This should be shown to film students as a superb study in well developed characters, and the entire cast is outstanding, but particularly Audrey Tautou. This is the movie that made the world fall in love with her, and for good reason. I don't think a character, (or actress) could be more charming or endearing, and Tautou plays it to perfection.

This is a French film, with English subtitles, but for goodness sake, have an open mind, and just watch it. I promise it is worth it.

Films by Nation

17 - France

15 - India

11 - Japan

8 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 8

20th: 8 1/2 - Italy (1963)

1 First, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 

168 pts 

Assumed Plot: The usual caliber for a handgun is 9mm. However, hitman, Pierluigi Beppi is infamous for using an 8.5mm instead. Custom made chamber and bullets, it is their calling card that strikes fear into all that see it. Nobody knows who they are or why they created the pistol they use, but one thing is certain: nobody survives the 8.5mm. 

European trailers really don't want to give any clue about the content of the film in question do they?

I feel like I have seen that director's name on this count down before, so possibly he is the Bergman of Italian cinema (but with less Bill and Ted references). He has ensured that Italy are the first nation to secure a top 20 film for the count down, I think that is worth something.  

That also brings Italy up to 9 films over all and just one away from the 10 film milestone. Will they get there?

From Amazon user, Fredrick Baptist

There are very few films that I've seen in my life which leave me speechless with awe and this is one of them! I've seen "La Dolce Vita" and while I like that film a lot in my opinion "8 1/2" is by far his best and is also among the best ever films ever made. I would love to describe this film but that would be doing it a great injustice as no words could do justice to this cinematic experience. Needless to say this film is among those I can count on my fingers as ones that will get repeated annual viewings. To call this a masterpiece would be a gross understatement. The good news is that Criterion's transfer is very good leaving nothing to complain about with regards picture and sound quality. Also included is a 32-page booklet containing essays on the film and the director. Every movie buff and fan of great cinema needs to have this in their video library.

Very highly recommended!

Films by Nation

17 - France

15 - India

11 - Japan

9 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 6

19th: Rashomon - Japan (1950)

1 top 5, 2 top 10 

173 pts 

Assumed Plot: The story of murder mystery and intrigue. The story of a man accused of murder, did they do it, did they not. It is a mystery that will last down to the wire. At least that is my guess, others may remember it differently.

Do you see that black and white European films!!! I was able to watch a trailer and leave with at least a 5% idea of what the film is about other than being life-changing, revolutionary and a masterpiece.

I've not seen Rashomon, but I have heard enough praise for it to be surprised it ended this low. I was thinking this was potentially going to end up well inside the top 10, so that is a little surprise for me. It is a concept I am surprised never got remade in the West (for better or for worse).

This moves Japan to within 3 of India and I am not yet prepared to call this a three horse race yet, but it could soon become one. I can confirm that Italy does not have 4 films left in the tank to be able to catch them from 4th, so the only way is up for Japan at this point. 

From Amazon user, Iwa Iniki

This is without a doubt one of the best movies ever made by Kurisawa. Everyone should watch it because it definitely shows what real life occasions are like when viewed by more than one person. It is timeless. I have watched it many times and given the movie as a gift to several people. And it has Toshiro Mifune, one of Japan's finest actors. Buy it and watch it several times.

Films by Nation

17 - France

15 - India

12 - Japan

9 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

18th: 3 Idiots - India (2009)

1 First, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 

178 pts 

Assumed Plot: This is a modern retelling of the Three Amigos, except replacing Spanish friends with Indian Idiots. All I know about this film is that there may be a motorbike involved and potentially just the one, so possibly that means there will also be some Last of the Summer WIne type tomfoolery involved too.

Naturally each of the 3 idiots will pair off with a matching girl idiot to varying degrees of success and much loves, tears, laughs, and frolics will be had as people fall off bikes, fall in love, and possibly even step on a rake or two.

Well, that escalated quickly...

So it turns out the difference in popularity between this and Lagaan is literally that @SchumacherFTW has watched this one. I probably should put this on the list of films I probably should get round to watching one day, It has a lot of fans and there must be a reason why.   

So India moves to 16. That's back to within 1 of France. But do they have any films left to fire? Does France have anything left? Are all remaining films from Nicaragua and we're about to see something truly special?

From Amazon user, Ender W

I was recommended this film by a coworker and boy was I glad I watched it. Absolutely wonderful comedy\drama\look at life in India\and social commentary. Really excellent acting, wonderful script, and likeable characters. While it is almost 3 hours long - I was glued to the TV the whole time. The fact that it was in Hindi with English subtitles was no problem and story was very easy to follow.
The ending was both heart-warming and inspirational. In my view - the best film I've seen this year (since 2015's Big Short).
I'd recommend this to anyone and everyone. Even kids (particularly at teenage years or formative school years) might enjoy it as it shows the value of following your passions and pursuing your happiness, and also makes fun of silly "academia" focused on tests over knowledge or inspiration.
Anyway, to sum it up - I loved it.

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

12 - Japan

9 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

1 - Poland

1 - Indonesia

• Like 7

17th: Your Name - Japan (2016)

1 top 5,

180 pts 

Assumed Plot: This is a fantasy body swap tale with a twist. A boy and a girl are switched for no discernible reason and frolicks ensue. Not only that, but each are transported to a world without cellphones, or newspapers, or computers, or anything at all, because otherwise pretty much the entirety of this film would be completely stupid and nonsensical, and borderline insulting to any sense of intellect or even base thinking and that certainly cannot be the case for a film that is the 17th best foreign film ever.

Watch other non-Ghibli films they say. Japan has other great animes they say... well I watched this one and that's why I can't trust y'all on Akira or Perfect Millennium Only in the Shell. 

Yep, this is apparently the best ever animated foreign film to not have the Ghibli logo adorned to it. Ghost in the Shell was 209th, Millennium Actress is 129th, Perfect Blue 158th. I mean, I've not seen any of those three, but they are surely better than Your Name. 

And the Japan creep continues. Up to 13 films now and India are certainly going to need to worry at this point. In fact, I am officially calling it: 3 Horse Race people!

From Amazon user, Candyce Eskew

I can't say enough about this movie. I was lucky enough to catch it in a limited theater release here in the states, and it completely blew me away... not just me, but everyone in the theater. This was the only time in my life when the movie ended, the lights came up, and we all just sat there in silence. Nobody could speak or move or it would break the spell; it was like we all needed to be there to decompress together before venturing back out into reality. Since then I have anxiously waited for the DVD to be available here so I can show it to everyone I know, because I feel like this is the kind of movie everyone can enjoy and everyone should see. Even if you're not big into anime or animated movies in general, although you will appreciate it even more if you are. The animation is beautiful, but it's the story... it takes you on an emotional rollercoaster, grips hold of you hard and doesn't let go. The range of emotions I experienced while watching this was just astounding and unexpected.

Films by Nation

17 - France

16 - India

13 - Japan

9 - Italy

5 - Hong Kong

4 - South Korea

4 - Sweden

4 - Germany

3 - Soviet Union

2 - Mexico

1 - China